Old 13-08-2008, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Freezing Runner Beans

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , Rusty Hinge
| 2 writes
|
| Shiver me timbers! (And avast behind!)
|
| Vast behind? I may be ancient, but I still have buns of steel!

Is it a blimp? Is it a whale? No, it's Superbum!
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVtycu6WVQ

Keep watching past the first item...
;-)
--
Gordon H
Old 13-08-2008, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , Rusty
Hinge
| 2 writes
|
| Shiver me timbers! (And avast behind!)
|
| Vast behind? I may be ancient, but I still have buns of steel!

Is it a blimp? Is it a whale? No, it's Superbum!
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVtycu6WVQ

Keep watching past the first item...

;-)

.....an vyile I do. vant zum 'elp wit da beenz?

Daring Dolores.
Old 13-08-2008, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

I like both, at the moment they are very small as they are not doing
too well but last year in England we had a glut, they were big but
very tender and lovely with lamb gravy and Yorkshire pudding. I have
introduced my French neighbours to that, as a first course!!!

Eee bah gum lass! Fill t'boogers oop wi pouddin', and they worun't want
so mooch meat, appen!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-08-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message

You are jumping to conclusions! I regard runner beans of that size
as much inferior to smaller ones, not because they are stringy, but
because they are more watery. And feeding them won't help reduce that!

I prefer the flavour of larger ones - not larger so that the skins
contain toenails and the sides are held together with
packaging-plasticbandlike strips though...

I'm inclined to agree. I gave a handful of my runners, up to about 10"
in length to a lady friend yesterday, and after eating them with her
evening meal she declared them tender and completely free from strings.

The seeds are Suttons and the variety "Best of All", which I have never
grown before. I nearly always grew Scarlet Emperor, and they could
get stringy at that length.
There is quite a difference in texture between pods from the same plant,
some do appear leathery, but no strings, and tender after about 90
seconds in the microwave.

Mine went in late this year, and the first ones haven't even reached
half a Maclaren yet.

Froze another batch today...

Froze some of my neighbour's crop today, just to keep me going until
mine start to get to a sensible size.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 13-08-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from AriesVal contains these words:

I haven't frozen any of mine yet but will do. I found that left over cooked
ones are very good cold as a salad with a nice olive oil dressing on them.

And may be used instead of (or as well as) cabbage in bubble and squeak.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-08-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Bobbie wrote:
Gordon H wrote:
Nick Maclaren writes
Gordon H writes:
| Rusty Hinge2 writes
|
| Shiver me timbers! (And avast behind!)
|
| Vast behind? I may be ancient, but I still have buns of steel!

Is it a blimp? Is it a whale? No, it's Superbum!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVtycu6WVQ

Keep watching past the first item... ;-)

.....an vyile I do. vant zum 'elp wit da beenz?

Daring Dolores.

'Ello Dolly! You bin 'angin' around long?

Vee iz loosink ow vay. Vee iz runnink beenz .
und yoo? Coom here offen?

Dolly.
Old 14-08-2008, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , AriesVal
writes
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:11:30 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

The seeds are Suttons and the variety "Best of All",

Lines suppressed manually and constructively

I order most of my seeds, potato and onion sets from Suttons, have done for
years and found them to be most reliable.

I just bought them for somewhere, but I will look for Suttons next time.

I haven't frozen any of mine yet but will do. I found that left over cooked
ones are very good cold as a salad with a nice olive oil dressing on them.

Yes indeed, I thought of doing that when I had two salad meals last
week, but there was enough 'stuff' without beans.
--
Gordon H
Old 14-08-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Mine went in late this year, and the first ones haven't even reached
half a Maclaren yet.

I'm still working that out....
--
Gordon H
Old 14-08-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bobbie
writes
Gordon H wrote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVtycu6WVQ
Keep watching past the first item...
;-)

....an vyile I do. vant zum 'elp wit da beenz?
Daring Dolores.

Hoarse voicesings
"If you wanna touch me"
--
Gordon H

Old 14-08-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , Rusty Hinge
| 2 writes
|
| Mine went in late this year, and the first ones haven't even reached
| half a Maclaren yet.
|
| I'm still working that out....

Half a Maclaren, when used as a measure of the size of runner beans,
is 3".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-08-2008, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Half a Maclaren, when used as a measure of the size of runner beans,
| is 3".
|
| Your nowt but a wee lad, Nick.

Well, I would be, if I were a runner bean! Now, being brought up more
on sweetcorn than runner beans, half a Maclaren is 5" and 1.5" thick.
A full Maclaren is too much for most Brits.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-08-2008, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , Rusty Hinge
| 2 writes
|
| Mine went in late this year, and the first ones haven't even reached
| half a Maclaren yet.
|
| I'm still working that out....

Half a Maclaren, when used as a measure of the size of runner beans,
is 3".

Thank you. Some of mine are 1.5 Maclarens, but please don't think
I'm bragging. :-)
--
Gordon H
Old 14-08-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Half a Maclaren, when used as a measure of the size of runner beans,
| is 3".
|
| Your nowt but a wee lad, Nick.

Well, I would be, if I were a runner bean! Now, being brought up more
on sweetcorn than runner beans, half a Maclaren is 5" and 1.5" thick.
A full Maclaren is too much for most Brits.

LOL!
--
Gordon H