Old 26-08-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

"K" wrote in message
news
Gordon H writes
know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and weeds
is becoming an effort. :-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there are
varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all shades from
yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a lot of
other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be attractive even
when the flowers are over.
--
Kay

I bought a lovely yellow one this weekend, I was looking for Lucifer, but
they had sold out... I love them!

Old 26-08-2008, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message
,
Judith in France writes
On Aug 23, 4:36 pm, Gordon H wrote:
I have a clump of Crocosmia

[....]

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?

You can move them when you like, I move mine in Autumn as they rapidly
increase. I now have them everywhere, so the neighbours are
profiting. Mine are Crososmia Lucifer, big things.

There is no need to store over winter, they are so hardy it would take
more than weed killer to shift them. HTH.

Judith

I'll probably do that, autumn always seems the logical time to do this
kind of thing.

You could do what I do, pull up the dead ones that have flowered. Just
grab a handful of leaves and pull. A good many of the plants will come
out of the ground in clumps, corms attached. Do this through the whole
clump. It will leave sufficient corms in the ground for next year, but
severely and suitably reduced. I have several varieties and love them
all, each one has a place in my scheme of things. It works for me. Each
year when they have finished flowering and when the leaves start to go
brown just pull. I think you will find that they will come out quite
easily, especially if the ground is damp. Make sure there is nothing
else growing near that you might remove by mistake.
Failing that, just dig them up. There will always be corms left, there
always is. g

Bobbie. (who gardens by ear)
Old 26-08-2008, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

I'm sure you make a
lovely quiche, Gordon!

I don't even EAT keesh!
--
Gordon H
Old 26-08-2008, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 26, 9:34*am, "Sheila" wrote:
"K" wrote in message

news
Gordon H writes
know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and weeds
is becoming an effort. * *:-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there are
varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all shades from
yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a lot of
other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be attractive even
when the flowers are over.
--
Kay

I bought a lovely yellow one this weekend, I was looking for Lucifer, but
they had sold out... I love them!

Shiela, send me your address privately and I will send you some. I
will be in London in about 10 days, so I can post them from there or
here or whatever.

Judith

Judith

Old 26-08-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/8/08 10:22, in article , "Gordon H"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

I'm sure you make a
lovely quiche, Gordon!

I don't even EAT keesh!

A real he-man. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2008, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , AriesVal
writes

That remind me. I used to grow several varieties of 'Everlasting' flowers.
But haven't for some years - silly me, as they are lovely even when dried.

Oh I love statice they never fade and helychrisum though the stems are a
bit short.
I have been known to spray them with some flowery scent and that's nicer
than having pot pourri!

I like those cards which have pressed flowers under plastic on the front
but have never made any that look really perfect.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-08-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sheila
writes

I bought a lovely yellow one this weekend, I was looking for Lucifer, but
they had sold out... I love them!

If you want some Lucifer I'll divide mine in the autumn if you like and
send you some.

Janet
Old 28-08-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bobbie
writes
Gordon H wrote:
In message
,
[...]

Really? I suppose it saves you hands for . . . other things . . .
;-)

I have read all the comments, and I've started digging over the grass
and weed-ridden border...

Sorry for slow response, I am avoiding sitting at the PC too much these
days.
--
Gordon H
Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire

Poor old crocosmia................ they are so misunderstood!!!!!

They don't all grow the same as that Orange thug that people hate........

There are infact some VERY VERY beautiful varieties, if anyone is interested i will post some pics!!

Mark