Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fennel bulbs

I sowed a couple of rows of fennel bulbs for the first time earlier
this summer. They have put on nice healthy foliage and are now
starting to form flowers, but the "bulb" end is no thicker than 2
fingers on the larger ones. Should I wait for it to thicken out? Or
is it yet another victim of the downpourey "summer"? Or is it the
sort of thing that doesn't do well in our moist and relatively cool
climate?

Cat(h)
Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 1:34 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
I sowed a couple of rows of fennel bulbs for the first time earlier
this summer. They have put on nice healthy foliage and are now
starting to form flowers, but the "bulb" end is no thicker than 2
fingers on the larger ones. Should I wait for it to thicken out? Or
is it yet another victim of the downpourey "summer"? Or is it the
sort of thing that doesn't do well in our moist and relatively cool
climate?

Cat(h)

Were these from seed? Were the seeds specifically for growing bulbs
rather than foliage?
I know nothing about growing fennel other than we tried it once and
got lots of leaves and not much bulb so I wondered if there were
specific varieties for bulbs.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 3:45*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Sep 8, 1:34 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

I sowed a couple of rows of fennel bulbs for the first time earlier
this summer. *They have put on nice healthy foliage and are now
starting to form flowers, but the "bulb" end is no thicker than 2
fingers on the larger ones. *Should I wait for it to thicken out? *Or
is it yet another victim of the downpourey "summer"? *Or is it the
sort of thing that doesn't do well in our moist and relatively cool
climate?

Cat(h)

Were these from seed? *Were the seeds specifically for growing bulbs
rather than foliage?
I know nothing about growing fennel other than we tried it once and
got lots of leaves and not much bulb so I wondered if there were
specific varieties for bulbs.

I believe so, seen as I have grown fennel (bronze fennel) for foliage
as a herb in my herb garden for ever, and it doesn't really put on
much of a "bulb" at the base. Those I planted are throwing shapes in
that general direction, but staying very thin. I am wondering whether
they will thicken given time, or whether they were just a flop,
whatever the reason. I am in mourning, coz I just love fennel.
I am pretty sure that the seeds were specifically for bulb (or so the
piccie on the packet indicated).

Cat(h)

Cat(h)
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 1:34 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

[...]

Cat(h)- Hide quoted text -

Hi Cath,
I have learnt how to grow fennel over the last few
years,and successfully produce fennel of the same size you see in the
greengrocers.I am not sure you are using the correct variety,although
the bulb on your seed packet seems to suggest bulb fennel.My advice is
to make sure you obtain seed of Florence Fennel or Finnochio,and look
out for the variety Zeta Fino,which does not readily go to seed in
warm dry summers(if we ever get one again!)
I sow several batches of fennel seed in the greenhouse between May and
July,using 5" pots.When the seedlings show a couple of true feathery
leaves(this is important-if too small they do not transplant
easily,and if too big the root damage you do when lifting and
separating causes the final plants to go to seed).I then transplant
into a 24 module tray,keep them in a cool part of the greenhouse for a
few days until they have settled,harden them off outside(in a
coldframe if early,and outside later) and then plant out into soil
enriched with compost about 9-12" apart and between rows.
Best of luck
Michael
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 1:34 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

[...]

Michael- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that, Michael.
I guess my current lot is a lost cause :-( Ah well, I'll still freeze
some of the foliage to use as herbs.

Cat(h)