GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178077-dividing-relocating-crocosmia.html)

Gordon H 23-08-2008 05:36 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access my
runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the front
garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?
--
Gordon H

Judith in France 23-08-2008 10:33 PM

On Aug 23, 4:36*pm, Gordon H wrote:
I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access my
runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the front
garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. * * Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?
--
Gordon H

You can move them when you like, I move mine in Autumn as they rapidly
increase. I now have them everywhere, so the neighbours are
profiting. Mine are Crososmia Lucifer, big things.

There is no need to store over winter, they are so hardy it would take
more than weed killer to shift them. HTH.

Judith

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_235_] 24-08-2008 09:28 AM

"Gordon H" wrote in message
I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access my
runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the front
garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or just
transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?
--
Gordon H

On a light hearted note, if you manage to kill them please let me know how
you did it

Gordon H 24-08-2008 10:36 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , "Robert (Plymouth)"
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access
my runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the
front garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm
too late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter,
just transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?
-- Gordon H

On a light hearted note, if you manage to kill them please let me know
how you did it

Ha Ha Ha! I can relate to that!
BTW, is there an easy way of propagating Grape Hyacinths?
;-)
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 24-08-2008 10:39 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:36:12 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access my
runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the front
garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?

After the leaves have browned and died down, I can't see that it makes
much difference when you move them. I suspect you'll find you've got
more corms than you need when you come to dig them up, so perhaps back
it both ways: plant some straight after lifting, some in spring.
Depending where you are, I would cover the ones you plant straight
away with a thick leafy mulch to protect them from frost. But you may
be in a mild area where frosts are few and not penetrating, in which
case I wouldn't bother with the mulch.

We are talking about "Oop North", Manchester area, so I may decide to
leave them until Spring.

I know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and weeds
is becoming an effort. :-(
--
Gordon H

Nick Maclaren 24-08-2008 10:57 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , "Robert (Plymouth)"
| writes
|
| I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access
| my runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the
| front garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.
|
| The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm
| too late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter,
| just transplant them, and if so, when?

Nuts. Now is fine. Dig them up and transplant them. You may lose
a few, because they are prone to rot in wet autumns and winters, but
typically not enough to matter.

| On a light hearted note, if you manage to kill them please let me know
| how you did it

Keep the soil saturated :-(

| Ha Ha Ha! I can relate to that!
| BTW, is there an easy way of propagating Grape Hyacinths?
| ;-)

If you blink while passing a clump of grape hyacinths, a new one will
grow. I thought that everyone knew that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

mogga 24-08-2008 11:42 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

wrote:

[...]

Ah do it not and if they all die you can come and get some out of my
garden.

The unpredictable weather means spring is the new autumn. Butterfly
eggs have appeared on my washing line this week. Aren't they a bit
late?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

K 24-08-2008 11:52 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

Gordon H writes
know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and
weeds is becoming an effort. :-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there are
varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all shades
from yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a lot
of other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be attractive
even when the flowers are over.
--
Kay

Judith in France 24-08-2008 12:10 PM

On Aug 24, 9:57*am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Gordon H writes:

| In message , "Robert (Plymouth)"
| writes
|
| I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access
| my *runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the
| front *garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.
|
| The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm
| too *late for that. * * Should I lift the corms and store over winter,
| just *transplant them, and if so, when?

Nuts. *Now is fine. *Dig them up and transplant them. *You may lose
a few, because they are prone to rot in wet autumns and winters, but
typically not enough to matter.

| On a light hearted note, if you manage to kill them please let me know
| how you did it

Keep the soil saturated :-(

| Ha Ha Ha! * * I can relate to that!
| BTW, is there an easy way of propagating Grape Hyacinths?
| ;-)

If you blink while passing a clump of grape hyacinths, a new one will
grow. *I thought that everyone knew that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

LOL, so I have found, so I have stopped blinking when I walk past
them :-)

Judith

Judith in France 24-08-2008 12:12 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On Aug 24, 10:52*am, K wrote:
Gordon H writes

know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and
weeds is becoming an effort. * *:-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there are
varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all shades
from yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a lot
of other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be attractive
even when the flowers are over.
--
Kay

They certainly are Kay, I have a huge splash of red in the garden with
the C.Lucifer. I have divided them for neighbours, planted them in
other areas, but still they multiply, saying that, I would not be
without them, they are ginormous.

Judith

Sacha[_3_] 24-08-2008 01:12 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On 24/8/08 10:52, in article , "K"
wrote:

Gordon H writes
know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and
weeds is becoming an effort. :-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there are
varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all shades
from yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a lot
of other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be attractive
even when the flowers are over.

Ray's got a comparatively new one that's causing some commercial interest -
they're making a bit of a comeback I think because of their fairly
late-season value in the garden. The 'ordinary' Crocosmia masonorum has
been overtaken by many different varieties, one of the most spectacular
being the famous C. Lucifer.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Gordon H 24-08-2008 05:23 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , AriesVal
writes
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:39:52 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

I know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and weeds
is becoming an effort. :-(

It's pretty tho and there are many varieties
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...flickr.com/321
3/2598067772_ba0193bf5b.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/l
jrw/2598067772/&h=500&w=500&sz=288&hl=en&start=18&usg=__c-uj7SOFrk0SUqm4
rWhgs2xBJaE=&tbnid=yYcXjwdH0IwI0M:&tbnh=130&tbnw= 130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D
Crocosmia%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_en___GB256

Now THAT is a URL and an 'alf!

My crocs are orange, and I don't know why I didn't think of cutting them
for indoors before I trampled them to get to the beans. :-(
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 24-08-2008 05:27 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , K
writes
Gordon H writes
know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and
weeds is becoming an effort. :-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there are
varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all shades
from yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a lot
of other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be attractive
even when the flowers are over.

They are to be seen in many gardens on this estate, as can the now
ubiquitous Pieris Forest Flame.

I have a Pieris "Silver Flame" which I planted in memory of a friend who
died, and it sprouts leaves in the colours of Liverpool, his favourite
team, and then produces berries and turns silv
(For some values of silvery). :)
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 24-08-2008 05:29 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message
,
Judith in France writes
On Aug 23, 4:36*pm, Gordon H wrote:
I have a clump of Crocosmia

[....]

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. * * Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?

You can move them when you like, I move mine in Autumn as they rapidly
increase. I now have them everywhere, so the neighbours are
profiting. Mine are Crososmia Lucifer, big things.

There is no need to store over winter, they are so hardy it would take
more than weed killer to shift them. HTH.

Judith

I'll probably do that, autumn always seems the logical time to do this
kind of thing.
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 24-08-2008 05:32 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

[....]
| BTW, is there an easy way of propagating Grape Hyacinths?
| ;-)

If you blink while passing a clump of grape hyacinths, a new one will
grow. I thought that everyone knew that?

Note the smiley! My wife's friend, an enthusiastic propagator of
plants, gave us something in a pot, and it came with a few free nodules
of G.H.'s. We had a hell of a job to get rid of them...
--
Gordon H