Old 27-09-2008, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Shitake, Lions Mane and Oyster Mushrooms

I've had the logs I inoculated with spawn sitting in large plastic bags for
about 9 months and thought it about time they came into the air seeing as
most of the logs are showing good signs of infection by going black at the
ends, even showing some Mycelium on the outside of the logs in the case of
Shitake and Oyster. I appreciate Lions Mane can take a much longer time but
even that is showing a spreading of the mycelium.

My problem is I've lost the instructions, put them somewhere safe, so do I
now stand the logs upright against the house wall in a shady and damp spot,
lay them down on the earth there, or lay them down on a plastic sheet where
they can stay damp (and so they don't get infected by something else nasty
in the ground).
Or do I "plant" the logs (one end buried in the soil) out on the allotment.

Anyone done it successfully?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-09-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Never tried but I'll be interested in the answers!

The only edible mushrooms I've had here grew unintentionally - blewits in
the ground, oyster on a log left standing around by Himself.

Mary

Old 27-09-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in a message:
[...]

---

I believe Raymond Blanc grows Shiitake mushrooms on logs at Le Manoir.
For a good guide on how to do it, see;
http://www.thefarm.org/etc/shiitake.html

MD

Old 27-09-2008, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Never tried but I'll be interested in the answers!

The only edible mushrooms I've had here grew unintentionally - blewits in
the ground, oyster on a log left standing around by Himself.

If you had left the Oyster log where it was you could have had Oyster
mushrooms on and off for up to 5 or, if very lucky, 10 years.
T & M sell the spawn and tell you how to insert it in fresh hardwood logs,
it's not difficult. Getting the fresh 3 to 4 ft long logs may be unless you
know a treefeller.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-09-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Derby" wrote after

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Thanks for that link Mike, lots of info there. Think I'll lean them against
the shady house wall but ensure they are kept damp.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-09-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Never tried but I'll be interested in the answers!

The only edible mushrooms I've had here grew unintentionally - blewits in
the ground, oyster on a log left standing around by Himself.

If you had left the Oyster log where it was you could have had Oyster
mushrooms on and off for up to 5 or, if very lucky, 10 years.

No, they just stopped coming. The log is still there :-)

T & M sell the spawn and tell you how to insert it in fresh hardwood logs,
it's not difficult. Getting the fresh 3 to 4 ft long logs may be unless
you know a treefeller.

I'm married to one.

But I have no faith in T&M and couldn't be bothered trying to grow fungi,
I'm just delighted when I find it!

Mary

--
Regards