Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default engine running fast...Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
"S" wrote:

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
"S" wrote:

having messed about with it a bit more I am still at a loss as to how
locate the springs...

I have a B&S engine with two springs, one of which is much finer than
the other. The heavier spring is the linkage between the throttle cable
and the choke/main valve, the finer spring doubles up the linkage
between the crankcase governor and the butterfly valve which it
controls. Its ends just hook into the same holes as the wire link
itself. Because there is a good deal of looseness in the wire linkage,
the fine spring can act as a damper so that the governing action isn't
jerky --just like Gary said!

HTH

brian mitchell

I now have the springs correctly located but engine still running fast.
Going to take the cover off and have a look at the complete assembly,
everything appears to be free and not sticking so the only thing I can
think
of is the fan blades on the flywheel are not producing enough` blow`
to push
the governor which is unlikely or the spring on the linkage is to `tense`
and therefore not allowing the governor to be blown back and operating
the
carb valve.
I might try and put the likage on the other way round as this should
reduce
the tension on the spring, worth a try anyway.

Just a speculative thought: on my engine the visible part of the
governor consists of a shaft emerging from the crankcase with a lever
clamped onto it. The wire link, with spring wound round it, goes from
the end of the lever to the butterfly valve on the carb. I imagine the
angle of that lever to its shaft is pretty critical so if it got
disturbed it while dismantling/re-assembling, that could affect the
speed setting. Is there any part of the governor mechanism inside the
crankcase that might have become misaligned?

Thanks Brian, I have since got a picture from `Briggs` showing the correct
layout so I now know that is correct.
Apparently where the other end of the spring locates (opposite from the
linkage end) its a case of bending the metal tab to reduce or increase the
tension on the spring.
having done this I still think its running fast. I am going to take a video
clip and some pictures and will post the links on here later, It will be
interesting to see if others think its running fast or not.
I have messed around with it that much even I am not sure any more.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Link to small video clip of engine running, I still think a bit fast.
Opinions welcome.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...=Videoclip.flv

Old 02-11-2008, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , S
wrote
Link to small video clip of engine running, I still think a bit fast.
Opinions welcome.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...=Videoclip.flv

That's too fast but what happens after it's warmed up a bit?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

I haven`t let run for that long in case I screw the engine.
What were you thinking of though?

--

Rent a villa in Turkey

http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , S
wrote

Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 13:26:12 +0000, Alan wrote:

That's too fast but what happens after it's warmed up a bit?

Doesn't seem excessivly fast to me, may be a little quick towards the end
of the run but the start seems about what ours runs at with the throttle
set to "Hare".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 13:26:12 +0000, Alan wrote:

That's too fast but what happens after it's warmed up a bit?

Doesn't seem excessivly fast to me, may be a little quick towards the end
of the run but the start seems about what ours runs at with the throttle
set to "Hare".

--
Cheers
Dave.

I think still a tad fast but an improvement.
Now that I know where the springs are located I think tomorrow I will take
the springs off and run it to see what happens and just manually position
the choke flap.
If I get it to run a bit better then I think that will tell me its the
springs possibly being too taut.
Thanks goodness I dont need to cut the grass til spring, gives me time to
mess around with it and get it right.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Problem now sorted...........

It was the metal plate (deflector) behind the governor blade that was bent,
although the governor blade still operated the choke flap it was being
restricted because it couldn`t go back far enough.

So thanks to you guys for all the input and time to read all this.

Much appreciated.