Old 13-10-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chrysathemum?

Hello

I took a couple of pics of this rather exquisite little orange flower at
Waterperry Gardens near Oxford yesterday:

http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower.jpg
http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower2.jpg

My mum thinks it's a Chrysathemum, but does it have a particular name or are
there too many chrysanthemums to bother giving individual names to?

Thanks
IanW

Old 13-10-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MCC MCC is offline

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:19:09 +0100, IanW wrote:

Hello

I took a couple of pics of this rather exquisite little orange flower at
Waterperry Gardens near Oxford yesterday:

http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower.jpg
http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower2.jpg

My mum thinks it's a Chrysathemum, but does it have a particular name or are
there too many chrysanthemums to bother giving individual names to?

Thanks
IanW

That's a dahlia
--
MCC
Old 13-10-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MCC" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:19:09 +0100, IanW wrote:

Hello

I took a couple of pics of this rather exquisite little orange flower at
Waterperry Gardens near Oxford yesterday:

http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower.jpg
http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower2.jpg

My mum thinks it's a Chrysathemum, but does it have a particular name or
are
there too many chrysanthemums to bother giving individual names to?

Thanks
IanW

That's a dahlia

Ahhh, excellent. Found them now - more specifically called Ball Dahlias:
http://www.cmlb.net/ball/Page.php?id=1

:-)

Thanks

Old 13-10-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"IanW" wrote in message ...

"MCC" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:19:09 +0100, IanW wrote:

Hello

I took a couple of pics of this rather exquisite little orange flower at
Waterperry Gardens near Oxford yesterday:

http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower.jpg
http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower2.jpg

My mum thinks it's a Chrysathemum, but does it have a particular name or
are
there too many chrysanthemums to bother giving individual names to?

Thanks
IanW

That's a dahlia

Ahhh, excellent. Found them now - more specifically called Ball Dahlias:
http://www.cmlb.net/ball/Page.php?id=1

hmm, or it might be a Pompon Dahlia. Not sure what the difference is:
http://www.cmlb.net/ndcpompon/

Old 13-10-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"IanW" wrote in message ...

"IanW" wrote in message ...

"MCC" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:19:09 +0100, IanW wrote:

Hello

I took a couple of pics of this rather exquisite little orange flower
at
Waterperry Gardens near Oxford yesterday:

http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower.jpg
http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower2.jpg

My mum thinks it's a Chrysathemum, but does it have a particular name
or are
there too many chrysanthemums to bother giving individual names to?

Thanks
IanW

That's a dahlia

Ahhh, excellent. Found them now - more specifically called Ball Dahlias:
http://www.cmlb.net/ball/Page.php?id=1

hmm, or it might be a Pompon Dahlia. Not sure what the difference is:
http://www.cmlb.net/ndcpompon/

http://www.dahliaworld.co.uk/dahlia.htm They all have different names as do
Chrysanths. you would need to ask the grower to be sure which one it is

Old 13-10-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Oct, 12:11, "IanW" wrote:
"IanW" wrote in ...

"MCC" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:19:09 +0100, IanW wrote:

Hello

I took a couple of pics of this rather exquisite little orange flower at
Waterperry Gardens near Oxford yesterday:

http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower.jpg
http://www.creationfactor.net/misc/orange-flower2.jpg

My mum thinks it's a Chrysathemum, but does it have a particular name or
are
there too many chrysanthemums to bother giving individual names to?

Thanks
IanW

That's a dahlia

Ahhh, excellent. Found them now - more specifically called Ball Dahlias:
http://www.cmlb.net/ball/Page.php?id=1

hmm, or it might be a Pompon Dahlia. Not sure what the difference is:http://www.cmlb.net/ndcpompon/- Hide quoted text -

Dahlia, probably Minature Ball could well be Jomanda.

PomPon Dahlias in the UK have flowers 2inches or less in Diameter.
In Europe they also include min ball and Min decorative dahlias under
the heading of PomPon.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.
Old 13-10-2008, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

http://www.dahliaworld.co.uk/dahlia.htm They all have different names as
do Chrysanths. you would need to ask the grower to be sure which one it is

Thanks, that's a useful link. I think it could be a few different types:
http://www.hallsofheddon.co.uk/pages...ue/lisrob.html
http://www.dahlia.org/cgi-bin/guide/...+JOHN+GRAINGER

I'll email the grower.

Regards
IanW

Old 15-10-2008, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Oct, 23:33, "IanW" wrote:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

http://www.dahliaworld.co.uk/dahlia.htmThey all have different names as
do Chrysanths. you would need to ask the grower to be sure which one it is

Thanks, that's a useful link. I think it could be a few different types:http://www.hallsofheddon.co.uk/pages...+JOHN+GRAINGER

I'll email the grower.

Regards
IanW

I said Jomanda because it's readily available, Dr John granger is only
available from the National collection, and Lismore Robin is fairly
new and is only available from 3 growers.
Have you thought of asking Waterperry gardens where you saw the
flower?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Have you thought of asking Waterperry gardens where you saw the
flower?

Well, they did finally reply and it is a pompom Dahlia, variety "Bantling".
A quick Google search reveals at least one stockist who will have some
available in January :-)

Regards
IanW

Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Oct, 16:18, "IanW" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Have you thought of asking Waterperry gardens where you saw the
flower?

Well, they did finally reply and it is a pompom Dahlia, variety "Bantling".
A quick Google search reveals at least one stockist who will have some
available in January :-)

Regards
IanW

If you have a look at this site you will find 6 nurseries listing
Bantling
http://www.dahliaworld.co.uk/availukb.htm
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 28 Oct, 16:18, "IanW" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Have you thought of asking Waterperry gardens where you saw the
flower?

Well, they did finally reply and it is a pompom Dahlia, variety
"Bantling".
A quick Google search reveals at least one stockist who will have some
available in January :-)

Regards
IanW

If you have a look at this site you will find 6 nurseries listing
Bantling
http://www.dahliaworld.co.uk/availukb.htm

Thanks, that's a good little page. They seem to be popular in Germany &
Holland! There's a supplier in Manchester though :-)

Regards
Ian