Old 23-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered User

Default Greenhouse question

Hi,

I just bought a 6*6 greenhouse from Argos and it came with a steel base. However the instruction for the metal plates that use to connect the base and the ground is first dig 4 deep holes in the ground and attached the plates to the 4 corners of the steel base, then greenhouse goes on top.

I went to Wickes yesterday trying to find some smaller metal plate to connect the corners of the steel base but nothing fit!

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil, and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice welcome/

Thanks
Old 23-11-2008, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Happymeow contains these words:

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil,
and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using
the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice
welcome/

You'll have to drill holes in the paving (with a masonry bit!) and use
something like Rawlbolts - otherwise your greenhouse *WILL* blow away.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Registered User

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil, and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice welcome/

Thanks[/quote]

I'm trying to imagine exactly what you mean. If you're saying can you just plonk the gh onto the paving, the answer is no, it must be secured. I have had a gh on flags, but it had a concrete base all the way round which was mortared to the slabs and then attached to the body of the gh by big bolts. Unless you're going to lift flags to sink the posts or can find a spot for it on soil, I think you've bought the wrong gh.
Old 23-11-2008, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Happymeow contains these
words:

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil,
and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using
the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice
welcome/

You'll have to drill holes in the paving (with a masonry bit!) and use
something like Rawlbolts - otherwise your greenhouse *WILL* blow away.

--

Another point is ....... height :-)

Take into consideration the height at the eaves WITHOUT the metal base :-(

(We scrapped the metal base BUT built a small brick wall to mount the
greenhouse on and with Masonry drills, fixed it to the bricks. That was
about 10 years ago and it has not moved an inch. Brick wall was one brick on
edge.)

Mike

Old 23-11-2008, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
(We scrapped the metal base BUT built a small brick wall to mount the
greenhouse on and with Masonry drills, fixed it to the bricks. That was
about 10 years ago and it has not moved an inch. Brick wall was one brick
on edge.)

Whichever of the two suggested methods you use
- do not forget to ensure to ensure you start off with a level playing
field.
(recently discussed here at length !)
I would go for the metal base alternative myself but if you lay a mean
brick, then Mike's alternative is worth considering.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 23-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Conroy View Post
My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil, and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice welcome/

Thanks
Either drill through the base into the slabs and screw it down using rawplugs
or get some brackets and fix then to the sides of the base and then screw the brackets to the slabs. If it's glazed with polycarbonate it will need to be very well secured, if glass less so.
Old 23-11-2008, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Happymeow wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a 6*6 greenhouse from Argos and it came with a steel
base. However the instruction for the metal plates that use to connect
the base and the ground is first dig 4 deep holes in the ground and
attached the plates to the 4 corners of the steel base, then greenhouse
goes on top.

I went to Wickes yesterday trying to find some smaller metal plate to
connect the corners of the steel base but nothing fit!

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil,
and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using
the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice
welcome/

Use a hacksaw to cut off the anchor parts of the corner connectors. That
was the recommendation for our greenhouse if placing on paving.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 23-11-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
Happymeow wrote:
[...]

Or you could remove the four paving slabs that lay under the four corners &
fix with cement mix in the holes and cut/refit paving or infill with gravel
?
Or cut 4 holes out of the paving, remove soil ,slot in greenhouse & backfill
with cement mix.

Or as already suggested remove anchor points and fix with screws through
base into paving.

Regards Keith

Old 23-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Either drill through the base into the slabs and screw it down using rawplugs
or get some brackets and fix then to the sides of the base and then screw the brackets to the slabs. If it's glazed with polycarbonate it will need to be very well secured, if glass less so.
Thank for the reply. The green house that I've bought is glass. The pavment is flat. What is the reason of greenhouse attaching to the ground? is it only for Stability. I have two mini greenhouse (the plastic one) and with nothing attached to them they are fine in our garden. Unfortunatly we do not have much soil/grass area in our garden and the ground is all concrete. And if i have to drew hole on the paving area, my husband just worried it will damage the pavment. I just want an area to grow some veg.. being a beginner i should have done more research before getting a greenhouse. feel really stupid now.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymeow View Post
Thank for the reply. The green house that I've bought is glass. The pavment is flat. What is the reason of greenhouse attaching to the ground? is it only for Stability. I have two mini greenhouse (the plastic one) and with nothing attached to them they are fine in our garden. Unfortunatly we do not have much soil/grass area in our garden and the ground is all concrete. And if i have to drew hole on the paving area, my husband just worried it will damage the pavment. I just want an area to grow some veg.. being a beginner i should have done more research before getting a greenhouse. feel really stupid now.
It depends how exposed it is, with a glass greenhouse in a sheltered site you should be ok, if it's a very windy site then it could move if hit by a very strong gust. Since you have un-anchored plastic ones that have survived then you will probably be ok. Suck it and see as they say (my sons greenhouse isn't anchored and that's been ok)

Please don't feel stupid, when I did the research for my 10x8 I was told it didn't need anchoring down as it was heavy enough not to move, when I got it and read the destructions it said it should be anchored and since it was going onto soil it was easy to do.

Old 23-11-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Granity;823399 Wrote:
[...]

No reason to.

You could lay down a dollop of concrete to hold the corners down and in
position - if ever you need to remove it, a cold chisel and a
lump-hammer would oblige.

You need to keep a greenhouse fixed to the ground because its weight to
surface area ratio is so low, that even a moderatw wind might roll it
away.

Even in a sheltered spot, eddies in stormy conditions can flex it enough
to break panes of glass.

Plastic greenhouses 'give'.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Granity contains these words:
Janet Conroy;823397 Wrote:
My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil,
and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using
the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice
welcome/

Thanks

Either drill through the base into the slabs and screw it down using
rawplugs
or get some brackets and fix then to the sides of the base and then
screw the brackets to the slabs. If it's glazed with polycarbonate it
will need to be very well secured, if glass less so.

Well, if glass it will be heavier and less like a mobile thing, but when
the frames of galvanised steel or aluminium greenhouses are buffetted,
they flex - and glass only flexes so much...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Registered User

If your plastic greenhouses are as I imagine them, i.e. only about 3 ft high and against walls, they will be ok, but a greenhouse with a height of at least 6ft is a different matter. From experience, greenhouse glass is expensive to replace, and by not securing it to the ground you run the risk of it being smashed in windy weather.
Old 24-11-2008, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Granity;823399 Wrote:
[...]

If you do not anchor it the frame can flex in a high wind which will
break the glass, an unpredicted storm could be highly dangerous if it is
completely unsecured.
You can buy small angle brackets made of alluminium (important) which
attach to the frame at the bottom then you can drill and raw plug them to
the concrete. It is vital the base is completely level, so chock up the
low points until it is then use a morter mix under the edges to make it a
permanant solution.
Mike's suggestion of a brick or block base is a good idea especially if
you are tall as it gives you extra height, the down side is you end up
with a step into the greenhouse
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 24-11-2008, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 23 Nov, 11:07, Happymeow
wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a 6*6 greenhouse from Argos and it came with a steel
base. However the instruction for the metal plates that use to connect
the base and the ground is first dig 4 deep holes in the ground and
attached the plates to the 4 corners of the steel base, then greenhouse
goes on top.

I went to Wickes yesterday trying to find some smaller metal plate to
connect the corners of the steel base but nothing fit!

My problem is because i am not putting my greenhouse on the grass/soil,
and i am planning put it on my paving. So it is possible of not using
the base at all and just leave my greenhouse on my paving? Any advice
welcome/

Thanks

--
Happymeow

I go along with the advice to fix your greenhouse to a brick base. I
have a 10 x 8 ft greenhouse with fairly good ridge height, which is
fixed to a 2-course brick wall and with its base. Even so, I find
myself wishing it was even higher (and bigger all round, to be
honest!) Not only does extra head height give you more room for tall
plants, shelving, etc., it also improves air flow (ventilation is
important for greenhouse plants in summer and winter).