Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Pears for your heirs" and unnecessarily negative, offputtingcomments

I watched James May/Oz Clarke sampling perry last night.

The farmer said: "Pears for your heirs," meaning "plant (perry) pear
trees now so that your grandchildren may get to make perry."

And I agree with that of course - as with many trees, they take time
to come to fruitfulness.
But there was a negativity that I see more and more in books and tv
programmes, along the lines of
"don't do this", "don't bother planting that", "no point in doing the
other."

The implication was, there is no point planting perry pear trees,
really.

I can understand this when it's: "don't plant peas in cold soggy
ground - they will rot." Absolutely 100% true.

But, like the "don't dig" advice on when not to dig, I think it is
wrong to state these things as an absolute rule.

Why not plant pear trees now? Why not transplant established trees
from elsewhere now, or to elsewhere when you move house?
They will give you a headstart while your new orchard establishes.

I have apples growing to hopefully transplant when my children move
into their own places, and would actively encourage other people to do
the same.

Having eaten the most delicious fruit from a Beauty of Bath that was
(aged 33 at the time and on its own roots) dug out and dragged more
than 1/2 a mile 20 years ago against all "expert advice", I think we
should be telling people to "have a go" but to understand the risks.
Of course the tree got damaged and had a lesser crop immediately after
the transplanting, but the subsequent crops were as heavy as ever.