Old 23-04-2009, 02:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Espellier apple tree

I have a section of wall along my back fence I am thinking of using to
espellier an apple tree. The wall is about 2 m high and 3-4 m long. The soil
is about 12-18 inchs of loam, well draining good stuff.

Question for someone who might know please, do you think I'd be better of
with a dwarf rootstock tree or will a semi-dwarf be ok in that area?

I realise there will be some pruning necessary but I don't want anything
that will get away on me.

I have my eye on a couple of old variety apple trees.

Thanks

Rob

Old 23-04-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

I have a section of wall along my back fence I am thinking of using to
espellier an apple tree. The wall is about 2 m high and 3-4 m long.
The soil
is about 12-18 inchs of loam, well draining good stuff.

Bit small, really, but when the Devil drives...

Question for someone who might know please, do you think I'd be better of
with a dwarf rootstock tree or will a semi-dwarf be ok in that area?

Semi should do - you ought to get better crops of bigger apples that way.

I realise there will be some pruning necessary but I don't want anything
that will get away on me.

If you prune, it won't...

I have my eye on a couple of old variety apple trees.

Hum - I want a Kingston Black and a Devonshire Quarrenden*

*Which has a number of alternative speelings innit.

--
Rusty