Old 18-02-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vinegar weedkiller?

Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller? I
bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2 thinking
I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat flap or
the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of the
unforseen?

Tim W

Old 18-02-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim W wrote:

Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller?

You did. You also apparently believed it.

I bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2 thinking
I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat flap or
the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of the
unforseen?

Nah. We can foresee what will happen quite easily :-)

The only harmful consequences to you are 2 quid, a bit of time, and a
reek of that vile concoction for a day or two. You will discover its
effectiveness by experience ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/2/09 18:04, in article
, "Tim W"
wrote:

Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller? I
bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2 thinking
I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat flap or
the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of the
unforseen?

Tim W

I just read today in Country Life that a strong solution of washing soda is
excellent for moss on paths and a weak solution is good on lawns. Vinegar
wasn't mentioned, I must admit but I can't see why it wouldn't work but
wouldn't it make the cats' paws rather sore - maybe?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-02-2009, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...
Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller?
I bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2
thinking I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat
flap or the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of
the unforseen?

Tim W

I don't know how vinegar works as a weedkiller. Sorry. However, I'm almost
sure that 'non brewed condiment' isn't, strictly speaking, vinegar. My
understanding is that it is used in place of vinegar to prevent people
drinking vinegar, which *is* brewed and has some kind of kick (?alcoholic or
otherwise?) which lead to its being used as an abused substance. Hence the
'non-brewed' tag.

Spider

Old 19-02-2009, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:
"Tim W" wrote in message
. com...

Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller?
I bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2
thinking I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat
flap or the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of
the unforseen?

I don't know how vinegar works as a weedkiller. Sorry. However, I'm almost
sure that 'non brewed condiment' isn't, strictly speaking, vinegar. My
understanding is that it is used in place of vinegar to prevent people
drinking vinegar, which *is* brewed and has some kind of kick (?alcoholic or
otherwise?) which lead to its being used as an abused substance. Hence the
'non-brewed' tag.

Pretty doubtful. Depending on how it is made, real vinegar might contain
some alcohol, but normally an insignificant amount. It's certainly not
enough to get anyone excited. It's also readily available.

I think that you will find that the real reason is that the EU (more
power to it) has required the people who sell coloured and flavoured
synthetic acetic acid to say so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-02-2009, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:
Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller? I

You may well have done.
Find out where it was and never take any of their advice again.

bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2 thinking
I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat flap or
the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of the
unforseen?

It will have negligible effect apart from making the place reek of
acetic acid and you £2 worse off. I love people who do kitchen sink
chemistry thinking they are avoiding "chemicals". Some of the recipes on
the web could get you into serious trouble with relatively common
ingredients. This one is thankfully harmless and completely ineffective.

"Non-brewed condiment" is diluted industrially manufactured acetic acid
with attention paid to making sure there are no nasty heavy metals in it
(ie nominally fit for human consumption).

You chose the wrong condiment from the chippy. Table salt would be a
more effective weedkiller (although sodium chlorate would be better still).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-02-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:31:10 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

You chose the wrong condiment from the chippy. Table salt would be a
more effective weedkiller (although sodium chlorate would be better still).

I use cooking salt to kill the weeds that grow in the pavement cracks.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
Old 19-02-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

You chose the wrong condiment from the chippy. Table salt would be a
more effective weedkiller (although sodium chlorate would be better still).

I use cooking salt to kill the weeds that grow in the pavement cracks.

Steve

I've used white vinegar along with a pound of table salt, mixed together
with several drops of dish washing liquid. Although it must be
sunny when its applied and no rain forecasted for a day
or 2, Ive found it works and its cheap. Just watch where you
spray it since it will kill anything green.

Old 19-02-2009, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

You chose the wrong condiment from the chippy. Table salt would be a
more effective weedkiller (although sodium chlorate would be better
still).

I use cooking salt to kill the weeds that grow in the pavement cracks.

I've used white vinegar along with a pound of table salt, mixed together
with several drops of dish washing liquid. Although it must be
sunny when its applied and no rain forecasted for a day
or 2, Ive found it works and its cheap. Just watch where you
spray it since it will kill anything green.

You might think that by doing this you are being environmentally
friendly, but the energy used to refine food grade materials makes it
every bit as bad as using diluted glyphosate weedkiller. The weeds
killed per unit of energy used is far higher with a proper weedkiller.
And the safety margins with glyphosate formulations are very good (the
wetting agents in commercial formulations are the main threat).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I don't know how vinegar works as a weedkiller. Sorry. However, I'm
almost
sure that 'non brewed condiment' isn't, strictly speaking, vinegar. My
understanding is that it is used in place of vinegar to prevent people
drinking vinegar, which *is* brewed and has some kind of kick
(?alcoholic or
otherwise?) which lead to its being used as an abused substance. Hence the
'non-brewed' tag.

Brewed vinegar is (usually) malt 'wash' brewed into ale, then seeded
with a bacterium which converts the alcohol into vinegar.

There should be no alcohol, and no injurious constituents. HOWEVER! It
has been noted that people (especially East Europeans) having a very
high intake of pickled vegetables, pickles and sauces are more prone to
stomach cancer. Whether this is due to the vinegar or something else in
the diet, hasn't AFAIK been ascertained.

'Spirit' vinegar is glacial acetic acid watered-down, and I give the
stuff a wide berth wherever possible. I *ALWAYS* pickle in malt vinegar.

--
Rusty
Old 01-03-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from beretta8 contains these words:

I've used white vinegar along with a pound of table salt, mixed together
with several drops of dish washing liquid. Although it must be
sunny when its applied and no rain forecasted for a day
or 2, Ive found it works and its cheap. Just watch where you
spray it since it will kill anything green.

It will also clean the cruddy stains off glass - got a nice decanter
with a dull bloom inside? A week with salt and vinegar in it should
restore it to it's pristine crystal glitter - always assuming it had any
in the first place.

Also cleans metals - but as the acid and base radicals in solution
effectively produce hydrochloric acid, keep an eye on progress!

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Antrim, N. Ireland
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller? I
bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2 thinking
I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat flap or
the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of the
unforseen?

Tim W
Tim W Hello,

We have an organic weedkiller product that we developed, please check out www.mistral.ie or click on
http://www.mistral.ie/details.php?code=R5002
If you have any problems email me as we are ever expanding our Eco-friendly and enzyme goods range and are always looking for new products to work on.

Julie
Old 23-04-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Tim W wrote:

Did I read somewhere that vinegar makes an effective and safe weedkiller?

You did. You also apparently believed it.

I bought a gallon of clear 'spiced non brewed condiment' today for £2
thinking
I would use it on the cobbles where the cats come through the cat flap or
the paths around the vegetable beds. Anybody want to warn me of the
unforseen?

Nah. We can foresee what will happen quite easily :-)

The only harmful consequences to you are 2 quid, a bit of time, and a
reek of that vile concoction for a day or two. You will discover its
effectiveness by experience ....

Actually it has worked really well so far and the smell is neither strong
nor persistent.

I will keep you posted.

Tim w