Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
may may is offline
Registered User

Default house plant

not sure if there is a houseplant section but thought i would show off my house plant , it is an azalea and it is bi-coloured . and at the momment it is full of blooms .

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/P1050338.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/P1050342.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/P1050340.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/P1050344.jpg
Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"may" wrote

not sure if there is a houseplant section but thought i would show off
my house plant , it is an azalea and it is bi-coloured . and at the
momment it is full of blooms .

Very nice May, I wouldn't call an evergreen azalea a houseplant though, we
had one in our garden for decades before a very hot dry summer killed it.

See.... for example.
http://www.himalayangarden.com/e_azaleas.html

I doubt it will live permanently indoors so you would be better off finding
it a suitable spot in your garden. Light dappled shade (from the midday sun)
and moist neutral to acid soil. Not until the summer has come and the cold
weather has gone though or it will suffer with thermal shock. It also
prefers rain water to hard tap water.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM
may may is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"may" wrote

not sure if there is a houseplant section but thought i would show off
my house plant , it is an azalea and it is bi-coloured . and at the
momment it is full of blooms .

Very nice May, I wouldn't call an evergreen azalea a houseplant though, we
had one in our garden for decades before a very hot dry summer killed it.

See.... for example.
http://www.himalayangarden.com/e_azaleas.html

I doubt it will live permanently indoors so you would be better off finding
it a suitable spot in your garden. Light dappled shade (from the midday sun)
and moist neutral to acid soil. Not until the summer has come and the cold
weather has gone though or it will suffer with thermal shock. It also
prefers rain water to hard tap water.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
when i bought it a couple of weeks ago at the garden centre it was with all of the other houseplants, but as you mentioned i think i will later on in the year try it in the garden, i have got one or two other Azaleas and rodies in the garden so hopefully it will be ok .

And i have watered it from the waterbutt rather than tap water ,and so far it seems ok .

i was wandering if the bio coloured ones have a name ,but i didnt see any name on the pot and it didnt have a label, it just said on the pot AZALEA MIX

any idea if it has a name ?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"may" wrote
when i bought it a couple of weeks ago at the garden centre it was with
all of the other houseplants, but as you mentioned i think i will
later on in the year try it in the garden, i have got one or two other
Azaleas and rodies in the garden so hopefully it will be ok .

And i have watered it from the waterbutt rather than tap water ,and
so far it seems ok .

i was wandering if the bio coloured ones have a name ,but i didnt
see any name on the pot and it didnt have a label, it just said on the
pot AZALEA MIX

any idea if it has a name ?

There are so many varieties that I wouldn't have a clue.
For example, these people have 503 varieties on sale....
http://www.sonomahort.com/azalea_inf...belgian_indian

--
Regards
Bob Hobden