Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identification if possible please

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

I don't know what it is but it looks nice. Good contrast between the
flowers and the foliage.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Could be a Cestrum, possibly fasciculatum Newellii. If it is, it wouldn't
be hardy with you, so you'd have to grow it in a pot. Even then, it might
not get to that size of leaf and flower cluster in your garden but it's
still a lovely thing and worth growing. Cestrum nocturnum is another
stunner in a sunny garden because it releases a fabulous scent at night.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 4:33*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. *For size comparison see my hand. *Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

I don't know what it is but it looks nice. Good contrast between the
flowers and the foliage.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

I thought it was stunning, I don't think I had ever seen a shrub/tree
like that. The Botanical Gardens left a little to be desired so many
plants didn't have identification including this one of a Basil which
I think is a curry Basil but not sure, in fact I didn't know there
were so many Basils to be found. The herb garden was definitely my
favourite and I am hoping to recreatate it here, on a smaller scale
when our builder is free as all the herbs are grown in a raised cubic
bed that one can walk round both inside the cube and outside, it was
lovely. Of course Basil wouldn't do too well here except from about
June to October. The perfumed garden was an absolute let down, if I
closed my eyes, I could smell nothing, only if I held a flower to my
nose could I smell something.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dxyfeh.jpg

Judith
Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. *For size comparison see my hand. *Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Could be a Cestrum, possibly fasciculatum Newellii. *If it is, it wouldn't
be hardy with you, so you'd have to grow it in a pot. *Even then, it might
not get to that size of leaf and flower cluster in your garden but it's
still a lovely thing and worth growing. *Cestrum nocturnum is another
stunner in a sunny garden because it releases a fabulous scent at night.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

If I grew it in a large pot, one like my Oleander grows in, I posted a
pic of that last year, do you think it would survive an unheated
drawing room in Winter?

Judith

Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/09 16:58, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
[...]

Not below around -7C. Charlie had much lower temps than us this year so may
be able to tell you more from personal experience. Ours live in a
greenhouse where gentle heating comes on if it falls below 0C. We can grow
C. parquii outside.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 5:01*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:58, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith

Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Intriguing. Could it be a Clerodendrum?

--
Jeff

Old 08-03-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 5:33*pm, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. *For size comparison see my hand. *Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Intriguing. Could it be a Clerodendrum?

--
Jeff

I have no idea Jeff, but I will Google it, thanks.

Judith
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It is Clerodendron quadriloculare aka 'Starburst/Shooting Star
Clerodendron', which is widely grown in the warmer parts of the US.
It's a very handsome thing, needing very bright conditions to do well
and it's a fast grower needing plenty or root room so it's not ideal
as a 'pot plant'.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. *For size comparison see my hand. *Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Intriguing. Could it be a Clerodendrum?

--
Jeff

Jeff second reply, thanks for the reply I have just traced it, it is
Clerodendrum quadriloculare, or Starburst. It says does well in
Florida, very forgiving tree/shrub but won't withstand freezing temps.

Judith
Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 5:41*pm, DaveP wrote:
It is Clerodendron quadriloculare aka 'Starburst/Shooting Star
Clerodendron', which is widely grown in the warmer parts of the US.
It's a very handsome thing, needing very bright conditions to do well
and it's a fast grower needing plenty or root room so it's not ideal
as a 'pot plant'.

Bless you Dave, I just did a Google and came up with the same thing,
it's nice to know when an expert's view accords with mine, it doesn't
happen often! I wonder if I could grow it in a planting bed in a
heated garden room or conservatory?

Judith
Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/09 17:15, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Mar 8, 5:01*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:58, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
[...]

Our house is an L shape and we only heat one side of the L, we shut up
the other wing for the Winter as fuel is so expensive. I will put in a
max/mim thermometer just to see what it falls to, there is still snow
on the higher mountains here but it's not so cold so maybe it's too
late to take an accurate Winter reading.

Judith

I haven't checked today's outside temps today but all I can tell you is that
it's damn cold, still light and the curtains in my study are drawn to keep
the house warm! The design of your house sounds extremely sensible but I
trust you have a sturdy door between one half of 'l' and the other. ;-)

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 6:00*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 17:47, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Mar 8, 5:41*pm, DaveP wrote:
It is Clerodendron quadriloculare aka 'Starburst/Shooting Star
Clerodendron', which is widely grown in the warmer parts of the US.
It's a very handsome thing, needing very bright conditions to do well
and it's a fast grower needing plenty or root room so it's not ideal
as a 'pot plant'.

Bless you Dave, I just did a Google and came up with the same thing,
it's nice to know when an expert's view accords with mine, it doesn't
happen often! *I wonder if I could grow it in a planting bed in a
heated garden room or conservatory?

Judith

He's a minor botanical miracle. *Or maybe that should be a major one!
David, I'd like to know where to find it?
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Our Dave is a major botanical man. I found it in "Ann's Tropics".
Sorry, I forget the url, just type in Ann's do dah.

Judith