Old 15-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Default Poor light shrubs

I've got a raised area next to a wall at the back of my garden that hardly gets any sun. I have no idea what to do with it but I'm thinking about planting some shrubs that don't mind poor light. Does anyone have any ideas or know what shrubs / plants do well in low light?
Old 15-03-2009, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Parkaboy wrote

I've got a raised area next to a wall at the back of my garden that
hardly gets any sun. I have no idea what to do with it but I'm thinking
about planting some shrubs that don't mind poor light. Does anyone have
any ideas or know what shrubs / plants do well in low light?

I am a rank newbie myself, but we have a bed a bit like that, and there
hydrangeas do spectacularly well - we've got some lacy white ones that
just glow in the shade, and some with pale pink flowerheads and dark red
stems that are also interesting in winter. Have forgotten the names,
but can find out if nec.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 16-03-2009, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Parkaboy wrote:
I've got a raised area next to a wall at the back of my garden that
hardly gets any sun. I have no idea what to do with it but I'm thinking
about planting some shrubs that don't mind poor light. Does anyone have
any ideas or know what shrubs / plants do well in low light?

Aucuba japonica. There are numerous cultivars. I happen to grow
"Rozannie" - it has attractive large red fruits, which are colouring up
nicely now. There are quite a few variegated (in particular, spotted)
varieties. Most nurseries carry a few.

It may not be fashionable, but grows well (but not too quickly) in almost
any soil and situation, is evergreen, and as far as I can tell doesn't
suffer from any pests or diseases.

--
Jeff

Old 16-03-2009, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kevin wrote
I've got a raised area next to a wall at the back of my garden that
hardly gets any sun. I have no idea what to do with it but I'm thinking
about planting some shrubs that don't mind poor light. Does anyone have
any ideas or know what shrubs / plants do well in low light?

Shrubs for shade... (mostly from Readers Digest Ency of garden plants and
flowers.)

Aucuba.
Camellia.
x Fatshedera.
Fothergilla.
Hypericum.
Mahonia.
Rhododendron.
Ruscus.
Stuartia.
Symphoricarpos.
Vaccinium.

You say poor light but is it open aspect just no sun?
If so most plants will grow, just avoid those that crave sun.

I have a much longer list of Perennials for shade.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden