My Shed. How to Paint/Preseve it?

Old 27-03-2009, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed

Default My Shed. How to Paint/Preseve it?

Having now got my shed delivered I would like to apply some kind of
application that would protect it against rot and the weather elements
especially to the underside of the floor as I would only have one chance
to do this before the shed is erected.

Most people seem to recommend a spirit-based application. Is that better
than a water-based treatment?

I went to the Cuprinol website but, for the life of me, I could not work
out which of their shed treatment products were spirit based.

What do guys here recommend?

Ed

Old 27-03-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
Having now got my shed delivered I would like to apply some kind of
application that would protect it against rot and the weather elements
especially to the underside of the floor as I would only have one chance
to do this before the shed is erected.

Most people seem to recommend a spirit-based application. Is that better
than a water-based treatment?

I went to the Cuprinol website but, for the life of me, I could not work
out which of their shed treatment products were spirit based.

What do guys here recommend?

Our new shed arrived in a very patch red cedar colour. It is now a [just as
patchy :-}] lovely shade of forget-me-not from Gardenshades. We are
expecting a rocket at the field AGM this weekend, as it should be brown or
green. We hope to get away with it as it is the same shade as lots of the
netting used on various peoples plots.
Gardenshades is a water based product - try going to your local
Homebase/B&Q/other DIY place and have a look at the range of different
product. reading the backs of the tins will tell you what the base is, we
deliberately chose waterbased.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Location: York

Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Having now got my shed delivered I would like to apply some kind of
application that would protect it against rot and the weather elements
especially to the underside of the floor as I would only have one chance
to do this before the shed is erected.

Most people seem to recommend a spirit-based application. Is that better
than a water-based treatment?

I went to the Cuprinol website but, for the life of me, I could not work
out which of their shed treatment products were spirit based.

What do guys here recommend?

Ed

I bought a shed a few weeks ago from a website and it mentioned that the product came with a free factory-applied, water-based treatment. I paid seperately for what was called a 'high quality wood preservative' which was recommended. I can only assume that a water based treatment is possibly a light preserve to protect it in transit and that a thicker preservative will give it longevity. The description mentioned the bought preservative would help protect the wood from wood rot and fungal decay.

My husband applied one tub of the preservative for our 7x5 shed and he's satisfied that it will keep it looking nice and lasting for the foreseeable. So I would say, go for the spirit rather than the water-based.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Location: York
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Evans View Post
I bought a shed a few weeks ago from a website and it mentioned that the product came with a free factory-applied, water-based treatment. I paid seperately for what was called a 'high quality wood preservative' which was recommended. I can only assume that a water based treatment is possibly a light preserve to protect it in transit and that a thicker preservative will give it longevity. The description mentioned the bought preservative would help protect the wood from wood rot and fungal decay.

My husband applied one tub of the preservative for our 7x5 shed and he's satisfied that it will keep it looking nice and lasting for the foreseeable. So I would say, go for the spirit rather than the water-based.
I also forgot to mention, our preservative came in a choice of four colours so you can decorate and protect the shed at the same time. Ours is a lovely Ivy Green colour. It looks smashing next to the flowers.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed

On 06/04/09 09:07, Penny Evans wrote:
Ed;835605 Wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply. I will go and buy some Cuprinol Shed and
Fence Preserver which is a spirit based application.

Ed