What do you use to poison tree stumps?

Old 27-03-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do you use to poison tree stumps?

What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?
--
Chris
Old 27-03-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:01:42 +0000
Chris ] wrote:

What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?

Copper nails will kill a tree, so I guess they would kill a stump.

Easy digging is a function of how soon it rots, in particular how soon
the main roots rot. Hardwood 10-50+ years, softwood 3-10+ years. You
can speed it up a bit by drilling lots of long holes (say 300mm) into it
with an auger - it helps the fungi get right to the middle.

If it's under 150mm trunk diameter I'd dig round it at about half metre
distance, cut the main roots with a saw, then drag it out with a
winch. Takes about a day to do, then a week's bed rest Anything
bigger needs a proper stump grinder, and the skill to use it.

R.
(I have two to do )
Old 28-03-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Location: South Wales

Chris ] wrote:
What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?

Copper nails will kill a tree, so I guess they would kill a stump.

Easy digging is a function of how soon it rots, in particular how soon
the main roots rot. *Hardwood 10-50+ years, softwood 3-10+ years. *You
can speed it up a bit by drilling lots of long holes (say 300mm) into it
with an auger - it helps the fungi get right to the middle.

If it's under 150mm trunk diameter I'd dig round it at about half metre
distance, cut the main roots with a saw, then drag it out with a
winch. *Takes about a day to do, then a week's bed rest *Anything
bigger needs a proper stump grinder, and the skill to use it.

R.
(I have two to do )

Drill holes in the stump and fill with Potasium Nitrate, this will
kill the stump and help it to rot out.
David Hill
Old 28-03-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:
Chris ] wrote:

What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?

Copper nails will kill a tree, so I guess they would kill a stump.

Easy digging is a function of how soon it rots, in particular how soon
the main roots rot. Hardwood 10-50+ years, softwood 3-10+ years. You
can speed it up a bit by drilling lots of long holes (say 300mm) into it
with an auger - it helps the fungi get right to the middle.

If it's under 150mm trunk diameter I'd dig round it at about half metre
distance, cut the main roots with a saw, then drag it out with a
winch. Takes about a day to do, then a week's bed rest Anything
bigger needs a proper stump grinder, and the skill to use it.

R.
(I have two to do )

Dig a hole under the stump with a long pointed iron bar, fill a
container with gunpowd^h^h^um - perhaps not!

--
Rusty
Old 28-03-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:01:42 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?

'Root-Out' is the stump killer I use. Drill a few one-inch holes in
the top of the stump, a couple of inches deep, fill with Root-Out'
crystals, cover with a bit of slate to keep the rain out, and the
'Root-Out' will slowly permeate the whole stump and roots and kill it.
But I don't think it speeds up the rotting process particularly.

'Root-Out' is also quite effective at killing ivy, if sprayed onto the
leaves.

That, and all the above are only effective in the loooong term. You gotta
dig.....dig.....dig.....the stump ain't gonna fall over and pop out for you

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 28-03-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Pete C" contains these words:
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:01:42 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?

'Root-Out' is the stump killer I use. Drill a few one-inch holes in
the top of the stump, a couple of inches deep, fill with Root-Out'
crystals, cover with a bit of slate to keep the rain out, and the
'Root-Out' will slowly permeate the whole stump and roots and kill it.
But I don't think it speeds up the rotting process particularly.

'Root-Out' is also quite effective at killing ivy, if sprayed onto the
leaves.

That, and all the above are only effective in the loooong term. You gotta
dig.....dig.....dig.....the stump ain't gonna fall over and pop out for you

It will if you bore holes in it and fill them with battery acid (sulphuric).

Afterwards, put a piece of polythene over the top and nail a piece of
plywood or something over it.

Sulphuric acid is nasty stuff.

It won't be very long before the stump becomes spongy and soft - but
beware! - It will still be acidic, because sulphuric acid doesn't react
with the wood (much), it just removes the elements of water - hydrogen
and oxygen - to dilute itself. Evaporation then concentrates it and so
it continues.

You can neutralise the root afterwards by dosing it with a solution of
washing soda.

--
Rusty