Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wot dat plant?

I found this in my garden. It is about 9" high at he moment and stands erect
but has an offshoot at the base which is sprawling. I have another that I
found self-sown in a pot. I did have another in an indoor pot (beneath the
roots of a lemon tree) but without the purplish tinge; it grew rapidly with
trailing branches over two feet long but it died off when I tried to
transplant it. All three plants seem more or less fleshy but with the lowest
stems turning woody.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hairyb...40076 8381986

Any ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have never
grown this I can not be sure.

TIA
R.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-09 16:30:12 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

I found this in my garden. It is about 9" high at he moment and stands erect
but has an offshoot at the base which is sprawling. I have another that I
found self-sown in a pot. I did have another in an indoor pot (beneath the
roots of a lemon tree) but without the purplish tinge; it grew rapidly with
trailing branches over two feet long but it died off when I tried to
transplant it. All three plants seem more or less fleshy but with the lowest
stems turning woody.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hairyb...40076 8381986

Any

ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have never
grown this I can not be sure.

TIA
R.

It's making me think of some kind of Leycesteria but I'm not convincing myself!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes
I found this in my garden. It is about 9" high at he moment and stands erect
but has an offshoot at the base which is sprawling. I have another that I
found self-sown in a pot. I did have another in an indoor pot (beneath the
roots of a lemon tree) but without the purplish tinge; it grew rapidly with
trailing branches over two feet long but it died off when I tried to
transplant it. All three plants seem more or less fleshy but with the lowest
stems turning woody.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hairyb...Gv1sRgCP3cjsP9
u_eT5QE#5333845400768381986

Any ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have never
grown this I can not be sure.

Not an Abutilon. Abutilons have alternate foliage (one leaf per node),
and palmate venation.

I think that I ought to be able to recognise this, but no name comes to
mind, and skimming a flora doesn't come up with any matches.

TIA
R.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes

On 2009-05-09 16:30:12 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

I found this in my garden. It is about 9" high at he moment and
stands erect
but has an offshoot at the base which is sprawling. I have another that I
found self-sown in a pot. I did have another in an indoor pot (beneath the
roots of a lemon tree) but without the purplish tinge; it grew
rapidly with
trailing branches over two feet long but it died off when I tried to
transplant it. All three plants seem more or less fleshy but with
the lowest
stems turning woody.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hairyb...40076 8381986

Any ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have
never grown this I can not be sure.

It's making me think of some kind of Leycesteria but I'm not
convincing myself!

It is definitely a Leycesteria, and AFAIK there is only one type
of Leycesteria, and that's L. formosa.

There's also Leycesteria crocothyrsos.

I don't see it as a Leycesteria. The lobing of the leaves, especially
the almost separated basal leaves, doesn't match with my photographs of
this, nor with what comes up in Google image search.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-05-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you everyone for your replies. I agree with your diagnosis of
Leycesteria as there is a mature bush not far away and I now notice other
seedlings beneath it. I wonder how it got into my Lemon tree?

R.

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"Ragnar" wrote:

I found this in my garden. It is about 9" high at he moment and stands
erect
but has an offshoot at the base which is sprawling. I have another that I
found self-sown in a pot. I did have another in an indoor pot (beneath
the
roots of a lemon tree) but without the purplish tinge; it grew rapidly
with
trailing branches over two feet long but it died off when I tried to
transplant it. All three plants seem more or less fleshy but with the
lowest
stems turning woody.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hairyb...40076 8381986

Any ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have never
grown this I can not be sure.

Leycesteria formosa.
http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/ga...re_200_029.htm

Quite a pretty plant, but it self-seeds all over the place, and can
become a nuisance.

--
AnneJ

Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-09 17:22:20 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Anne Welsh
Jackson writes

On 2009-05-09 16:30:12 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

[...]

The leaves aren't typical but IME, Leycesteria can 'throw' some funny
looking leaves from time to time.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-09 17:44:34 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. I agree with your diagnosis of
Leycesteria as there is a mature bush not far away and I now notice other
seedlings beneath it. I wonder how it got into my Lemon tree?

As you said - seeds. It's extremely generous in that respect!
snip--

Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Any ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have
never grown this I can not be sure.

I don't know what it *is*, but it ain't an abutilon (cos I've got one!).

Al.

Wot's that plant? Dr Ivan D. Reid United Kingdom 1 27-07-2009 06:15 PM
Wot no flowers? Tim United Kingdom 1 29-03-2009 05:07 PM
Het zal toch niet zijn wie ik denk dat het is? THE Old Man Ponds 1 17-06-2004 05:03 PM
Het zal toch niet zijn wie ik denk dat het is? peter_may_day Gardening 0 17-06-2004 08:08 AM
Greenhouse - wot now? Andrew J Instone-Cowie United Kingdom 7 05-08-2003 10:12 PM