Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conifer hedge - dead patches - aphids?

I've got a conifer hedge which is about 6m long by 2.5m high
by 2m wide. I'm not sure what type of conifer -- I don't think
it's Leylandii as it doesn't grow that fast -- it only needs
one or occasionally two cuttings per year to keep it very
neat. I do normally keep it cut very square, but I noticed
brown areas on it earlier this year and wondered if I'd cut
it too much last year, so I've let it shoot a bit.

However, I've just heard about Leylandii aphids this year,
and the damage does seem to exactly fit with this. Reading
up, it seems I should cut the hedge as normal now, but not
in autumn. There's also talk of getting trees sprayed - is
that any good? I imagine spraying something of this size
effectively is a professional job? Won't it all wash off
next time it rains?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a conifer hedge which is about 6m long by 2.5m high
by 2m wide. I'm not sure what type of conifer -- I don't think
it's Leylandii as it doesn't grow that fast -- it only needs
one or occasionally two cuttings per year to keep it very
neat. I do normally keep it cut very square, but I noticed
brown areas on it earlier this year and wondered if I'd cut
it too much last year, so I've let it shoot a bit.

However, I've just heard about Leylandii aphids this year,
and the damage does seem to exactly fit with this. Reading
up, it seems I should cut the hedge as normal now, but not
in autumn. There's also talk of getting trees sprayed - is
that any good? I imagine spraying something of this size
effectively is a professional job? Won't it all wash off
next time it rains?

--
Andrew Gabriel

RHS have detemined that cutting back conifer hedges in the autumn is the
biggest cause of browning followed by the conifer aphid

Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Campa-Man" writes:

[...]

I don't think this one has ever been cut in the autumn
(at least in the 8 years I've lived here, and this has only
shown up this year). So, that's also pointing towards aphids
as the likely cause.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old 08-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gabriel View Post
However, I've just heard about Leylandii aphids this year
The Leylandii-killing Cyprus aphid is the best gardening news I've heard for a long time. How can we encourage them?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I believe that the fungal disease Phythophthera can also be a probem with
evergreens. Indeed, I believe that may be the problem my Cryptomeria has.
I don't know if there's a remedy available to amateur gardeners at the
moment.

Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

I believe that the fungal disease Phythophthera can also be a probem with
evergreens. Indeed, I believe that may be the problem my Cryptomeria has.
I don't know if there's a remedy available to amateur gardeners at the
moment.

Spider, we are using Aliette Express (from Rhone-Poulenc) to treat
phythophthera,
which can also attack maples. I don't know what the commercial name is in
the uk, but I'd give a soil drench a try for the cryptomeria.

Good luck,

-E
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Spider wrote:

I believe that the fungal disease Phythophthera can also be a probem with
evergreens. Indeed, I believe that may be the problem my Cryptomeria
has. I don't know if there's a remedy available to amateur gardeners at
the moment.

Spider, we are using Aliette Express (from Rhone-Poulenc) to treat
phythophthera,
which can also attack maples. I don't know what the commercial name is in
the uk, but I'd give a soil drench a try for the cryptomeria.

Good luck,

-E

Thanks, Emery. Noted. I'm visiting my local GC tomorrow, so I'll see
what's available.

Spider

Old 26-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered User

Post

Hi, I'm quite a garden newbie. Is there a way to stimulate extra shoots / sideways growth? My tree has possibly suffered from over pruning over the years, and I want to encourage it to 'pad out' - any ideas, or is this not possible? Thanks