Old 27-05-2009, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How far .......

........ did the Painted Ladies Butterflies go North yesterday and Monday
evening?

They were coming over and into our garden in their dozens, no doubt blown
from France in the severe wind and storms.

Mike
South Facing garden in the South East of the Isle of Wight

--
..

Old 27-05-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 8:24*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
....... did the Painted Ladies Butterflies go North yesterday and Monday
evening?

They were coming over and into our garden in their dozens, no doubt blown
from France in the severe wind and storms.

Well one of them managed to make it to the Essex coast, it was sunning
itself on my patio.

Oddly enough the most numerous butterfly we have here this year so far
is the Speckled Wood, this is strange as it is not a frequent visitor
most years and we are a long way from the nearest wood!
Old 27-05-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
....... did the Painted Ladies Butterflies go North yesterday and Monday
evening?

They were coming over and into our garden in their dozens, no doubt blown
from France in the severe wind and storms.

Mike
South Facing garden in the South East of the Isle of Wight

It never occurred to me to ask before, but how do they find out where
butterflies migrate to / from? Their legs are a bit small for rings like
birds.

R.

Old 27-05-2009, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Ragnar" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
....... did the Painted Ladies Butterflies go North yesterday and Monday
evening?

They were coming over and into our garden in their dozens, no doubt blown
from France in the severe wind and storms.

Mike
South Facing garden in the South East of the Isle of Wight

It never occurred to me to ask before, but how do they find out where
butterflies migrate to / from? Their legs are a bit small for rings like
birds.

R.

The Observers Book of Butterflies states that its original home is North
Africa, but they breed in such great numbers that they 'have' to migrate,
usually North via France to the UK.

We have a 'natural' garden with trees and bushes which attracts all sorts of
wildlife, books are at 'the ready' so we can see what is what :-))

Mike

Old 27-05-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

moghouse writes
On May 27, 8:24*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
....... did the Painted Ladies Butterflies go North yesterday and Monday
evening?

They were coming over and into our garden in their dozens, no doubt blown
from France in the severe wind and storms.

Well one of them managed to make it to the Essex coast, it was sunning
itself on my patio.

18000 arrived in N Norfolk, according to the Grauniad
http://tinyurl.com/qdce3x
--
Kay

Old 27-05-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 2:55*pm, K wrote:
moghouse writes

On May 27, 8:24*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
....... did the Painted Ladies Butterflies go North yesterday and Monday
evening?

They were coming over and into our garden in their dozens, no doubt blown
from France in the severe wind and storms.

Well one of them managed to make it to the Essex coast, it was sunning
itself on my patio.

18000 arrived in N Norfolk, according to the Grauniadhttp://tinyurl.com/qdce3x

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!
Old 28-05-2009, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 6:07*pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.
Old 28-05-2009, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On May 27, 6:07 pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.

Not any more............

Old 28-05-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 8:03*am, "Ophelia" wrote:
moghouse wrote:
On May 27, 6:07 pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.

Not any more............

If only that was true! As one loophole closes, another.......
Old 28-05-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

The Observers Book of Butterflies states that its original home is North
Africa, but they breed in such great numbers that they 'have' to migrate,
usually North via France to the UK.

We have a 'natural' garden with trees and bushes which attracts all sorts
of wildlife, books are at 'the ready' so we can see what is what :-))

Mike

Just found this map on the BBC website which might be of interest
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...h_african.html

Old 29-05-2009, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 May 2009 00:03:37 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 27 May 2009 16:10:07 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On May 27, 6:07*pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.

You'd make more money in Brussels.

or better still Asparagus.
Old 29-05-2009, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On May 27, 6:07*pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.

You'd make more money in Brussels.

I once found a rusty halfpenny in the cabbage patch.
Old 29-05-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..

wrote:

On May 27, 6:07 pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.

You'd make more money in Brussels.

I once found a rusty halfpenny in the cabbage patch.

Halfpennies don't rust

Mike

Old 29-05-2009, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 11:48*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
--

wrote:

On May 27, 6:07 pm, Martin wrote:

If I was a Painted Lady would I choose Norfolk or Essex? Romford
Palais and high white stiletto heels? Got to be Norfolk!

You'd make more money in Amsterdam.

Maybe, but I think I'll opt for being an MP.

You'd make more money in Brussels.

I once found a rusty halfpenny in the cabbage patch.

Halfpennies don't rust

I am sure you are much too refined to know what I am talking about (I
bet Martin does) but if you want a trip to the dark side try googling
'Rusty Coins - Urban Dictionary definition'. Obviously I spend too
much time on the Joke groups!