GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Early potatoes, elapsed time from plant to harvest? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184163-early-potatoes-elapsed-time-plant-harvest.html)

Jonathan Campbell 27-05-2009 12:37 PM

Early potatoes, elapsed time from plant to harvest?

I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th.
After a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them outside.

Any ideas when they should be ready to harvest. A book says elapsed time
plant to harvest of about 75 days for earlies --- which is about now
from the 9th March. However, the weather has been a little colder than
normal (I'm in North West Ireland).

I see flowers appearing on *other* Red Duke of Yorks that I planted
outside on 19th March, but none on the 9th March (pots) ones.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48 UK

Ed 27-05-2009 06:07 PM

On 27/05/09 11:37, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th.
After a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them
outside.

Any ideas when they should be ready to harvest. A book says elapsed time
plant to harvest of about 75 days for earlies --- which is about now
from the 9th March. However, the weather has been a little colder than
normal (I'm in North West Ireland).

I see flowers appearing on *other* Red Duke of Yorks that I planted
outside on 19th March, but none on the 9th March (pots) ones.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Out of interest,,,, why did you plant some of your spuddies in pots
before you put them outside?

Ed

Jonathan Campbell 27-05-2009 06:25 PM

Ed wrote:
On 27/05/09 11:37, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th.
After a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them
outside.

[...]

Out of interest,,,, why did you plant some of your spuddies in pots
before you put them outside?

Pots because I had to transport them (to the outside). Indoors because I
wanted to get them off to an early start, i.e. well before the soil
outside had reached 6 C for a few days. Moreover, when they were
outside, I wanted to be able to carry them indoors again if frost was
forecast.

Just an experiment. Two of the 'pots' are B&Q plastic buckets with holes
in the bottom.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48 UK

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_289_] 28-05-2009 10:12 AM

"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th. After
a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them outside.

Any ideas when they should be ready to harvest. A book says elapsed time
plant to harvest of about 75 days for earlies --- which is about now from
the 9th March. However, the weather has been a little colder than normal
(I'm in North West Ireland).

I see flowers appearing on *other* Red Duke of Yorks that I planted
outside on 19th March, but none on the 9th March (pots) ones.

Best regards,

Jon C.

I reckon about 3 months for earlies and 4 months plus for maincrop. Some of
our members are already digging potatoes but they would have been planted
straight out in Feb/March.

Robert
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Broadback[_2_] 28-05-2009 01:56 PM

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

[...]

It depends how big you want them. Personally I dig some up as soon as
they are a little bigger than my thumb nail, that is when they are at
their best IMHO. By the time I come to then end of them they are fully
grown, then I can carry on with the lates.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Jonathan Campbell 29-05-2009 01:29 PM

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th.
After a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them
outside.

Any ideas when they should be ready to harvest. A book says elapsed time
plant to harvest of about 75 days for earlies --- which is about now
from the 9th March. However, the weather has been a little colder than
normal (I'm in North West Ireland).

I see flowers appearing on *other* Red Duke of Yorks that I planted
outside on 19th March, but none on the 9th March (pots) ones.

I upended one of the pots today --- that's 85 days after planting.

About 20 potatoes on the plant. Size for about 40-mm diameter down to
10-mm (majority the latter). So they will need another two weeks at least.

The could have been affected by the lower average temperature. Or, lack
of water; since it there was much rain, and the potatoes planted in the
ground would not have needed watering, I assumed the same for those in
the pots. But perhaps the pots dry out more quickly.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.

June Hughes 29-05-2009 01:47 PM

Early potatoes, elapsed time from plant to harvest?

In message , Jonathan Campbell
writes
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
[...]

My potatoes aren't even in flower yet.