north east facing garden

Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Default north east facing garden

Hi we are moving house and have found one we really like however it has a north east facing garden. Which i was very disapointed to find out. Can anyone tell me will it be shady most of the time? we have visited it a 3pm and it was quite sunny. The garden was beautiful but i don't want a garden that will only get a little bit of sun. I don't want to make a big mistake any advice much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tanya1 writes

Hi we are moving house and have found one we really like however it has
a north east facing garden. Which i was very disapointed to find out.
Can anyone tell me will it be shady most of the time? we have visited
it a 3pm and it was quite sunny. The garden was beautiful but i don't
want a garden that will only get a little bit of sun. I don't want to
make a big mistake any advice much appreciated.

Very roughly, at the equinoxes - March and September - the sun rises in
the E and sets in the W. In midwinter it rises SE and sets SW, in
midsummer it rises NE and sets NW.

So in midsummer, even a N facing garden will get sun early morning and
late afternoon.

The sun also gets higher in the sky in midsummer, so the length of the
house shadow will be less - indeed, you may get very little shadow at
midday (or 1pm BST). At the moment, you're seeing it at its best - the
longest day is about June 21, so it will be like this or better till
about mid July.
--
Kay