Gertrude Jekyll Rose.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gertrude Jekyll Rose.

We have a shrub rose as above which we planted approx a year ago.

Unfortunately it appears to have a very untidy habit, however, the scent
is superb which is why we purchased it.

I noticed in Bodnant some years ago that they have one on one of the
terraces, (they probably have many) it had been pruned down to about
12 inches presumably to keep it in order.

Would this be the best way to keep it from getting too untidy?

Regards

Don
Old 26-08-2009, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 09:08:06 +0100, Donwill said:

We have a shrub rose as above which we planted approx a year ago.

Unfortunately it appears to have a very untidy habit, however, the scent
is superb which is why we purchased it.

I noticed in Bodnant some years ago that they have one on one of the
terraces, (they probably have many) it had been pruned down to about
12 inches presumably to keep it in order.

Would this be the best way to keep it from getting too untidy?

Regards

Don

Are you quite sure you have the shrub form and not the climber? Ours
is the climber and gets tied into a rope trellis on a wall. I looked
at the David Austin site when I saw your post and even the shrub rose
is also described as a short climber.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Donwill[_2_] View Post
We have a shrub rose as above which we planted approx a year ago.

Unfortunately it appears to have a very untidy habit, however, the scent
is superb which is why we purchased it.

I noticed in Bodnant some years ago that they have one on one of the
terraces, (they probably have many) it had been pruned down to about
12 inches presumably to keep it in order.

Would this be the best way to keep it from getting too untidy?

Regards

Don
This is presumably the David Austin rose. If so, they tend to have a sprawly habit, and the flowers are so heavy that they pull down their branches. Gertrude Jekyll is a particularly strong grower.

As to pruning, if you think that what Bodnant did will help, try it for next year. Otherwise, go onto David Austin's website and look at his advice on care of "English roses".
Old 30-08-2009, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have a shrub rose as above which we planted approx a year ago.
Unfortunately it appears to have a very untidy habit,

I have shrub roses at the back of a border and they are thugs! No names
as they were here in '79 when we came, but does anyone have a way of
taming them or at least managing them? If not they'll have to come out
as they seem to be coming up several feet from the main plant as well
now and they are blinking prickly and about 6 foot tall.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post

We have a shrub rose as above which we planted approx a year ago.
Unfortunately it appears to have a very untidy habit,

I have shrub roses at the back of a border and they are thugs! No names
as they were here in '79 when we came, but does anyone have a way of
taming them or at least managing them? If not they'll have to come out
as they seem to be coming up several feet from the main plant as well
now and they are blinking prickly and about 6 foot tall.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Do they have lots of small leaves and single flowers? If so, they are probably Scotch roses, very freely spreading by sucker. Trace roots back and remove by ripping off.