Leylandii Disease

Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jks

Default Leylandii Disease

My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't see
any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

John

Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:08:22 +0100, "jks"
wrote:

My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't see
any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

John

A saw cut close to the ground is a good cure for Leylandii.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-09-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jks" wrote in message
My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't
see any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

You have'nt seen any aphids so my first guess (Cypress aphid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7493107.stm ) is probably wrong. In any case
I don't know if it would affect Privet.

Another possibility is Phytophthora, a sort of fungus-like organism that
causes foliage to turn brown, often down one side of the plant at first,
before the tree eventually dies. It killed a whole cypress hedge of mine
last year and affects conifers and fruit trees. There is no cure. Similar
symptoms are caused by Honey Fungus.

R.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jks

wrote:

My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't
see
any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

John

A saw cut close to the ground is a good cure for Leylandii.

Pam in Bristol

In defence M'lud it is hiding a block of ugly garages.

John

Old 09-09-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jks

"Ragnar" wrote in message

Another possibility is Phytophthora, a sort of fungus-like organism that

causes foliage to turn brown, often down one side of the plant at first,
before the tree eventually dies. It killed a whole cypress hedge of mine
last year and affects conifers and fruit trees. There is no cure.
Similar symptoms are caused by Honey Fungus.

R.

My apple tree was suffering from candyfloss like stuff, but this year it
seems quite healthy.
My almond tree took several years to die.

If there is no cure is there anything suitable to replace them as a screen?

John

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't see
any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

John

A saw cut close to the ground is a good cure for Leylandii.

Followed by a good mulch (concrete or tarmac works well)
Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John wrote
Ragnar wrote
Another possibility is Phytophthora, a sort of fungus-like organism that
causes foliage to turn brown, often down one side of the plant at first,
before the tree eventually dies. It killed a whole cypress hedge of mine
last year and affects conifers and fruit trees. There is no cure.
Similar symptoms are caused by Honey Fungus.

My apple tree was suffering from candyfloss like stuff, but this year it
seems quite healthy.
My almond tree took several years to die.

If there is no cure is there anything suitable to replace them as a
screen?

Candyfloss stuff on your aplple tree is Woolly Aphid, spray in early spring.

As it's your Leylandii, Privet and Almond that have died I would suggest it
is probably Honey Fungus, little else would kill all those other than a
neighbour with a bottle of poison.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jks wrote:
My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously
they took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks
ago and is now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were
on a bank of a stream so I don't think water was a problem.

snippy

Polluted stream?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jks" wrote in message
My Leylandii have been dying one by one for several years. Previously they
took some time to die but the latest was quite healthy 2 weeks ago and is
now dead. All the trees, planted about 16 years ago, were on a bank of a
stream so I don't think water was a problem.

Looking beneath the bark there is no sign of fungal disease and I can't
see any aphids on it.

It looks as if a privet bush close to the hedge is also dying.

Anyone know what the problem might be and have a cure?

It may be your neighbour poisoning them. Hooray