GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden dustbin incinerators (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/18757-garden-dustbin-incinerators.html)

Paul 27-04-2003 10:20 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

I just wanted to ask a couple of basic questions about the dustbin garden incinerators. How do you
actually use them? And what advantages do they have?

Thanks! Paul

Mike 27-04-2003 10:20 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

In article , Paul
writes
I just wanted to ask a couple of basic questions about the dustbin garden
incinerators. How do you
actually use them? And what advantages do they have?

Thanks! Paul

Dry paper and sticks in the bottom, then dry wood. Light. Put lid on
until a fine fire is there. Remove lit WITH CARE.... HOT. Shove drier
stuff in first lid on, burn, lid off, load, lid on.

Pain in the neck :-((

Make sure the feet are pointing OUT. The first one we had the feet
pointed in for stacking, riveted on so useless.

When finished with put it away in the dry. All the nice galvanise would
have burnt off and the first drop of rain.... rust. Ours lasted about a
year :-((

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Drakanthus 27-04-2003 10:44 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

When finished with put it away in the dry. All the nice galvanise would
have burnt off and the first drop of rain.... rust. Ours lasted about a
year :-((

Mike

Ditto. Ours rusted after first use + rain. It looked an eyesore and was thrown out
after a year. I don't think the neighbours were too keen on it either - the wind
had a habit of changing direction and sometime smoke reached their houses.
If you do get one, check that your neighbours don't have any washing out on a line
before using it - or you can become very unpopular very quickly!
Now anything I can't compost or recycle goes with the household refuse.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Paul 27-04-2003 10:56 PM

"Mike" wrote in message ...
Shove drier stuff in first lid on, burn, lid off, load, lid on.

(Very basic question!:) What do you put in, anything? Weeds, dead flowers, twigs, grass (?),
anything like that - is that the idea?

Tumbleweed 27-04-2003 10:56 PM

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
When finished with put it away in the dry. All the nice galvanise would
have burnt off and the first drop of rain.... rust. Ours lasted about a
year :-((

Mike

Ditto. Ours rusted after first use + rain. It looked an eyesore and was

thrown out
after a year. I don't think the neighbours were too keen on it either -

the wind
had a habit of changing direction and sometime smoke reached their houses.
If you do get one, check that your neighbours don't have any washing out

on a line
before using it - or you can become very unpopular very quickly!
Now anything I can't compost or recycle goes with the household refuse.
--
Drakanthus.

MIne works like a dream,must be 5 years old at least. Looks like a rocket
when its fired up, the flames roar out of the funnel. I only use it about
twice a year but its out in all weathers.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Tumbleweed 27-04-2003 10:56 PM

"Paul" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Shove drier stuff in first lid on, burn, lid off, load, lid on.

(Very basic question!:) What do you put in, anything? Weeds, dead

flowers, twigs, grass (?),
anything like that - is that the idea?

Are you mad? Stuff that is dry and will burn. Twigs, branches etc. No point
putting weeds or grass in it, put them on the compost.

Mike 27-04-2003 11:08 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

In article , Tumbleweed fromnews@mys
ockstumbleweed.freeserve.co.uk writes
"Paul" wrote in message
.. .

"Mike" wrote in message

Shove drier stuff in first lid on, burn, lid off, load, lid on.

(Very basic question!:) What do you put in, anything? Weeds, dead

flowers, twigs, grass (?),
anything like that - is that the idea?

Are you mad? Stuff that is dry and will burn. Twigs, branches etc. No point
putting weeds or grass in it, put them on the compost.

--
Tumbleweed

That is basically the answer. Dry stuff. Old twigs. Wood, Dried grasses
etc. (We cut all the old kitchen units up with a Jigsaw and fed them in
a few bits at a time)

Now ours has had it, we either compost or take it all, in big green
bags, to the recycling compost place.

I still consider they are an expensive waste of time if you can compost
and take other stuff to the dump.

bnd777 28-04-2003 12:08 AM

Garden dustbin incinerators

Dont get the dustbin type they are both dangerous and as others have said
they rust through in about a year
Try and get one of the square open mesh ones instead I have had 2 in 20
years and have no problem burning up the bits i can not otherwise shred for
compost

gastropod 28-04-2003 11:56 AM

Garden dustbin incinerators

I stand mine on bricks to ensure enough O2 gets in the botom holes and I can
stoke it up/liberate the ashes when I am burning a lot of stuff.
Neil

A.Malhotra 28-04-2003 12:44 PM

"Paul" wrote in message
I just wanted to ask a couple of basic questions about the dustbin garden

incinerators. How do you
actually use them? And what advantages do they have?

Thanks! Paul

The drums from old washing machines make very good incinerators (they also
double up as a patio firecage, the sort of thing that you could easily pay
more than £100 for in the garden catalogues).
Anita

Mike 28-04-2003 09:32 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

In article , geoff
writes

to annoy others by lighting a bonfire at any time of day.

better emphasise the key point here, "To annoy others"

not

"To light a bonfire"

Bit of a difference which certainly 'applies to my area'. I can light a
Bonfire on a Monday Morning.
..
..
..
..
..
However, if it 'annoys others' as it most certainly would, "that" is the
important bit :-))

Get the point?

bnd777 30-04-2003 10:56 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

Could be a moral in that policy !!!
If folk cant burn or compost hedge clippings then maybe they will think
twice about growing the hedge

"Mike" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

Paul,

DO NOT let anybody tell you that lighting a bonfire is OK after a

certain
time of day. That's bunkum. It is an offence against most local
authorities' rules to annoy others by lighting a bonfire at any time of

day.

Compost, green stuff, shred and compost most other stuff and take the

tree
trunks to the local disposal amenity!

Geoff

My council is stopping green waste e.g.; hedge clippings from being
placed in normal wheelie bins. They are introducing a charge of £30 a
year for a special green waste bin.

they suggested composting hedge clippings and then they realized that
they would take sometime to rot down. they then came up with taking the
stuff to the tip, but when i pointed out I only had a motorbike..... yes
you guessed it, have a bonfire was their reply.

Although i will probably get a bin at £30 i can see some residents as
being too mean, one lit a bonfire last week with 10 ft flames, the fire
was about 5 ft from a mature tree and could easily have caught fire.

Mike.

FortyEight16 01-05-2003 01:20 PM

Garden dustbin incinerators

"Tumbleweed" wrote

MIne works like a dream,must be 5 years old at least. Looks like a rocket
when its fired up, the flames roar out of the funnel. I only use it about
twice a year but its out in all weathers.

Ditto. I wouldn't be without it. And it can be used as a carbon-neutral
patio heater for outdoor parties