Old 29-01-2010, 04:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Leylandii for burning?

On 29 Jan, 15:02, "Muddymike" wrote:

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I scavenged
from the woods next door when they were cleared last year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

If it's that size, don't waste it on turning but use it for cabinetry.
It's a bit skinny, but as it's yew there's still a market for it.
Old 29-01-2010, 06:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/01/2010 14:49, Rusty Hinge wrote:
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
John L wrote:
Cross-posted to DIY and to Gardening:

A bit late to ask because I've just finished sawing up about half a
ton! However there is another ton to come.

What's leylandii like as a fuel (open fire, and/or wood burner)?

I'm not intending using it until next winter.

Cheers
John

geat for bonfires, even when freshly cut,
huge high flames,
not very eco though.

[g]

Carbon neutral. If you discount the stored carbon in the roots, that is.

Nah. The roots decay and give off the same CO2 as if you burnt them.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

Bill of Rights 1689
Old 29-01-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Tim Streater wrote:
On 29/01/2010 14:49, Rusty Hinge wrote:

Carbon neutral. If you discount the stored carbon in the roots, that is.

Nah. The roots decay and give off the same CO2 as if you burnt them.

Takes a long time. Meantime, several generations of privet have come and
gone.

Forestry, with the mature timber used and the stumps left in are a great
combination for absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and storing it.

True, the stumps and roots rot, releasing some of the farandaway even
Shed worserer /Shed glasshouse (non-green) gas, methinks, methane.

TAAAW, I don't send paper for recycling - mature conifers are largely
carbon neutral, and sometimes worse. Young conifers OTOH, absorb copious
quantities of carbon dioxide as they grow. So, paper is turned into
fuel, which is, again, carbon neutral, if you discount the energy which
went into its manufacture.

--
Rusty
Old 29-01-2010, 07:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I scavenged
from the woods next door when they were cleared last year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

IME it makes for rather cold comfort. I'd give it to me, if I were you -
or sell it.

A piece of yew that size is worth rather a lot.

--
Rusty
Old 29-01-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Christina Websell wrote:

I would say be very careful, I would not describe it as "fine" for a
woodburner if you have a sliding damper on the front of your stove. It
will
spit out of it across the room, in my experience.

I burn leylandii in a wood burner without problems. The woodburner has a
sliding damper on the front. Since the damper is within an anclosure
that is made of the same steel as the woodburner it is hard to see how
it could be "spit out of it across the room".

My dampers do not have an enclosure so if they are open they are open to the
room, if you see what I mean: therefore if I have spitting wood, it can and
does come out of the damper.

I tried conifer wood once, I'm glad I was not out for a few hours, it
sparked out from the tiny hole in the damper and set my carpet on fire
when
I was upstairs. Never again.

Yew is a conifer.

OK. Point taken. I should have phrased it better.
Far be it from me to put anyone off burning leylandii if they want to, I
just thought I'd share my experience of it so the OP could make an informed
decision.

Tina

Old 29-01-2010, 08:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I scavenged from the
woods next door when they were cleared last year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a wood turner.
Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your position I would
sell it. You can use the money to buy far more wood for burning than you
would get from the yew.

Tina

Old 29-01-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

Yew is so slow growing

Tell that to the yew tree that has grown in my garden over the last five
years.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

Old 29-01-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I scavenged
from the woods next door when they were cleared last year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

if you get it planked, its worth a fair bit. If split already, burn it.

Mike

Old 29-01-2010, 11:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 20:14, "Muddymike" wrote:

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

Yes, where are you, and have you got photos?

Old 29-01-2010, 11:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:
"Christina wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
om...

"Rusty wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning?
Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

--
Rod
Old 30-01-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning?

Yew! Coat, now.

Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

She's been out of her tree for years.
Old 30-01-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.
And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty
I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

For several of ponds, not a very big bit. Enough to make a small bowl or
big cup, perhaps.

Nah, you know you want me to have it for making a gunstock, and
turning/carving the rest, don't you?

--
Rusty
Old 30-01-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:
On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:
"Christina wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
om...

"Rusty wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning?
Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

Burn the witch?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Old 30-01-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Steve Firth wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Yew is so slow growing

Tell that to the yew tree that has grown in my garden over the last five
years.

Starts nicely, but rarely gets its second wind.

--
Rusty

Burning out tree roots P Verstege United Kingdom 29 30-11-2003 06:18 PM
I'm burning tonight! Little Badger United Kingdom 6 25-03-2003 10:44 AM
Burning Bush anyone? WSZsr Texas 0 20-03-2003 12:56 AM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 01:44 AM
Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood Robert Cohen alt.forestry 2 11-11-2002 05:14 PM