Old 30-01-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Leylandii for burning?

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 29 Jan, 20:14, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

Yes, where are you, and have you got photos?

I am in North Yorkshire, no photos at present but can do
tomorrow.

Mike

Old 30-01-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:
"Christina wrote in
message ...

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for
turning? Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

Te he.

Mike

Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?

SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

It burns, but I'm told, not too well.

Much better used for carving or woodturning. English walnut is OK for
rifle stocks, but not, a gunsmith tells me, for shotgun stocks.

It burns perfectly well. You need heartwood for woodwork, and I
have used both a rotten walnut and (large) prunings for firewood.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

alan.holmes writes

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?

Are you getting rid of your tree? It's what I always think of whenever I
think of you ;-)

SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

--
Kay
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes writes

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?
SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

Check out.
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...tes/info/2018/

Mike

Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Registered User

Any wood can be burnt if it is seasoned properly. Seasoning of wood takes a lot of time. Some wood takes around one year to be seasoned while some take many years to be seasoned. Leylandii takes about a year to be seasoned after that it will burn alright.

Burning out tree roots P Verstege United Kingdom 29 30-11-2003 05:18 PM
I'm burning tonight! Little Badger United Kingdom 6 25-03-2003 09:44 AM
Burning Bush anyone? WSZsr Texas 0 19-03-2003 11:56 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood Robert Cohen alt.forestry 2 11-11-2002 04:14 PM