Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy

I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy growing
up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with the
seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks Ben

Old 08-03-2010, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ben Short
writes
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy
growing up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with
the seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

If it changes colours with the seasons then it's not ivy (Hedera helix).
You may be thinking of Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidaria) or
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).

Someone else no doubt will common as to whether growing it on a house
wall is a good idea.

Thanks Ben

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
Ben Short writes
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy
growing up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with the
seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

If it changes colours with the seasons then it's not ivy (Hedera helix).
You may be thinking of Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidaria) or
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).

Someone else no doubt will common as to whether growing it on a house wall
is a good idea.

As Stewart has said, ivy stays green so if you want autumn colour that is
not the plant for you. A quick growing ivy is also a PITA, as like any quick
growing plant it does not stop growing when you want it to, so you would
have to constantly be at it with the pruners to keep your windows and doors
and eventually roof free of it. We had a large leaved variegated ivy over a
fence that I eventually killed as it was just too much trouble.
Personally I would look at Wisteria if you really want something growing up
your house, it does not self cling so does not damage the brickwork and it's
a lot easier to keep pruned, only one big prune in winter and a few tidying
up sessions during the growing season. Nothing like the problems ivy will
cause you.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Wisteria looks wonderful but you do have to watch it doesn't get into
gutters or roof tiles because eventually - if neglected - it will take
them off.

It likes television aerials, too!

--

Jeff

Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-03-08 08:27:31 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Yup, though it seems less work than ivey - which is also very damaging
if left alone for long enough.

And it's naked in winter, as is Boston ivy or Virginia creeper. We
have a small leafed ivy growing up one side of our house - don't know
its name but it's variegated green and 'silver' and very pretty. We
also have Paddy's Pride which is a very large leaf variegated green and
gold. That has taken ages to get going but now looks very good.

I does look nice, But I found the Ivy we had here on the house wall to
much of a PITA - it went after a couple of years. Then again we have Ivy
all over the place in this garden (it was left to grow too much by the
previous owner really) . Over the garden walls, going up tress, up the
stable wall and onto the roof - Some trees are so covered in the stuff
you can hardly see the tree - so maybe I'm a bit biased
--
Chris French

Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Ben Short
writes
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy
growing up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with
the seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

If it changes colours with the seasons then it's not ivy (Hedera helix).
You may be thinking of Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidaria) or
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).

Someone else no doubt will common as to whether growing it on a house
wall is a good idea.

Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata is much the better bet on walls,
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia). tends to get too heavy
and fall off.
Both attach by adesive suckers rather than roots so are unlikely to cause
damage to walls, but as someone else has pointed out once they get to
your roof problems can start so you need to give them an annual trim 3 or
4 feet below the gutter height each winter.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Someone else no doubt will common

Comment?

as to whether growing it on a house wall is a good idea.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Ben Short
writes
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy
growing up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with
the seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

If it changes colours with the seasons then it's not ivy (Hedera
helix). You may be thinking of Boston ivy (Parthenocissus
tricuspidaria) or Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).

There are actually ivies which turn colour in the cold: H. helix is a
very variable species. But in my experience, they need to be a few years
old, and rather undernourished. There is, or used to be, one beside the
road into Pembroke Dock which went an elegant dusty pink, and another
which went pink and yellow growing up the sides of a rock railway
cutting outside Neath.

I remember the names of two firms: Whitehouse Ivies, and Fibrex
Nurseries. If they're still in business, their catalogues will be
tempting...but see SRH's remark below:

Someone else no doubt will common as to whether growing it on a house
wall is a good idea.

I've done, and regretted, it. It will find the slightest crack in
masonry or woodwork, and prise it open while your back is turned. I
really don't advise it.

--
Mike.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben Short" wrote in message
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy growing
up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with the
seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

Thanks Ben

Thanks to you all, food for thought indeed. I think, in hindsight, perhaps
the ivy is a bad idea as it may damage the wall. I just wanted some colour
on the walls, somewhere for the birds to hide and something that wont
destroy the brickwork.

Thanks again

Old 09-03-2010, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to you all, food for thought indeed. I think, in hindsight, perhaps
the ivy is a bad idea as it may damage the wall. I just wanted some colour
on the walls, somewhere for the birds to hide and something that wont
destroy the brickwork.

Thanks again

Yes, I completely and totally agree with the ivy-detractors. My last house
had ivy all over a fence and up two walls, and it was a total nightmare. It
grew like mad all year round and had to be aggressively pruned almost
weekly. It threatened the downspouts and the tv dish, and was starting to
eat away at the edge of the roofing on the adjoining garage.

I'm generally really, really, really glad I moved out (not because of the
ivy, obviously!), because it was going to be virtually impossible to get rid
of - someone else's problem....

Barb

Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:37:02 -0000, "Barb" wrote:

Yes, I completely and totally agree with the ivy-detractors. My last house
had ivy all over a fence and up two walls, and it was a total nightmare. It
grew like mad all year round and had to be aggressively pruned almost
weekly. It threatened the downspouts and the tv dish, and was starting to
eat away at the edge of the roofing on the adjoining garage.

I'm generally really, really, really glad I moved out (not because of the
ivy, obviously!), because it was going to be virtually impossible to get rid
of - someone else's problem....

Won't it die if you chop it off at ground level?
(Repeat if necessary)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:37:02 -0000, "Barb" wrote:

Yes, I completely and totally agree with the ivy-detractors. My last
house
had ivy all over a fence and up two walls, and it was a total nightmare.
It
grew like mad all year round and had to be aggressively pruned almost
weekly. It threatened the downspouts and the tv dish, and was starting to
eat away at the edge of the roofing on the adjoining garage.

I'm generally really, really, really glad I moved out (not because of the
ivy, obviously!), because it was going to be virtually impossible to get
rid
of - someone else's problem....

Won't it die if you chop it off at ground level?
(Repeat if necessary)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

That's what I thought, but in my case it was all along a fence, with shrubs
on the other side, and the bottoms of the walls of the house, and it was
impossible to find individual plants. I'm not sure, but I think it had put
out sort of "sucker" roots - someone who knows what they're talking about
will no doubt help here ....

I did try in one place, and cut the plant off with a saw. Some of the ivy
died, but the dead stuff was still clinging to the wall and into the mortar,
and very difficult to remove - I even considered burning it off with a
blowtorch at one point!

Just don't do ivy unless you know you can control it!

Barb

Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Short View Post
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy growing
up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with the
seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks Ben

On thinking about this, I am puzzled. I have been to Egglestone and cannot recall any form of creeper on the house.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , beccabunga
writes

Ben Short;879495 Wrote:
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy
growing
up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with
the
seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

Thanks Ben

On thinking about this, I am puzzled. I have been to Egglestone and
cannot recall any form of creeper on the house.

http://tinyurl.com/yanrlsl

There has been a creeper at some time.

http://www.egglestonhall.co.uk/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 10:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 07:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 12:22 PM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 01:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 07:03 PM