Ceanothus cuttings

Old 16-03-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ceanothus cuttings

Is this a reasonable time to take ceanothus cuttings;
and if so is what is the best way to do this?

I have a ceanothus bush or rather tree in Dublin
which provides a remarkable show of light blue blossom;
and I want to see if I can plant some children in Italy.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 16-03-2010, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Is this a reasonable time to take ceanothus cuttings;
and if so is what is the best way to do this?

I have a ceanothus bush or rather tree in Dublin
which provides a remarkable show of light blue
blossom;
and I want to see if I can plant some children in
Italy.

A few years ago I followed the advice in Dr. Hessayon's
"The Tree & Shrub Expert - "Plant cuttings in a cold
frame in Summer". He doesn't differentiate between
evergreen or deciduous varieties with regard to
propagation, so summer cuttings should be favourite for
both.

Bertie

Old 16-03-2010, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2010 14:21, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Is this a reasonable time to take ceanothus cuttings;
and if so is what is the best way to do this?

I have a ceanothus bush or rather tree in Dublin
which provides a remarkable show of light blue blossom;
and I want to see if I can plant some children in Italy.

The RHS Propagation guide suggests taking a 4" heel cutting in summer.
Find a healthy sideshoot and carefully tear it away from the parent
plant so that it comes away with a sliver of bark - this is the 'heel'
of the cutting. Using a clean, sharp knife, trim the heel so that just
a short spur remains. This heel contains the growth hormones which
encourage rooting. Use a standard cuttings compost, and provide a humid
atmosphere (a clear plastic bag secured over the pot will do) to reduce
stress on the cutting. It is also important to shade the pot from
strong sunlight.

Ceanothus can be tricky to root, so take a number of cuttings. Although
it is not mentioned, you may like to try at least some of the cuttings
with hormone rooting powder.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-03-2010, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
In article says...

I have a ceanothus bush or rather tree in Dublin
which provides a remarkable show of light blue
blossom;
and I want to see if I can plant some children in
Italy.

The best options are cuttings under mist March to
July
Cuttings under low white polythene tunnels in the
ground in June or
cuttings in the cold frame in october, but you may
get some take at any
time so if you only want one give it a go!

Use semi hard matrial and avoid doing it when in
flower
--

All very well, but the poster also wants to plant some
children in Italy -