Old 18-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Registered User

Question red pupa in dirt

My kids have come across a red pupa in the dirt around our strawberry plants. We have brought two of them in, with some dirt and are waiting to see what they are going to become. I understand that they could be any number of moths, but they look like a Large Yellow Underwing. We see the caterpillars that look just like the pics all around our yard.

My question is: About how long before they hatch from their chrysalids and how do we care for them? We have them in a butterfly habitat that is netted all around and has a plastic lid that closes with a zipper. So they have plenty of air flow, and just a small amount of dirt that they are laying on top of. I am thinking they may need more dirt, but I am not sure how much.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Linda (mom) Laura and Amanda (7), Megan (11).
Old 18-04-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default red pupa in dirt

--
lpete301

Sounds to me as if you are posting in the wrong group, probably
Gareden Banter just shifting something they can't cope with.
Talking of "Dirt" and "Yard" makes it sound as if you are from the
other side of the Pond.
You need a natural History group such as
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....-history?hl=en
ore one based nearer to home.
David Hill
Old 18-04-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

lpete301 wrote:
My kids have come across a red pupa in the dirt around our strawberry
plants. We have brought two of them in, with some dirt and are waiting
to see what they are going to become. I understand that they could be
any number of moths, but they look like a Large Yellow Underwing. We
see the caterpillars that look just like the pics all around our yard.

My question is: About how long before they hatch from their chrysalids
and how do we care for them? We have them in a butterfly habitat that
is netted all around and has a plastic lid that closes with a zipper.
So they have plenty of air flow, and just a small amount of dirt that
they are laying on top of. I am thinking they may need more dirt, but I
am not sure how much.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Linda (mom) Laura and Amanda (7), Megan (11).

I remember finding a similar pupa when I was a kid. We put it in a
small propagator indoors (so at ambient temperature) and on some earth
just laying on top. I don't think it really matters how much earth but
I guess the slight dampness keeps the pupa from dessicating. If I
recall (it was a while ago!) it emerged in a day or two. ymmv. The
main thing I remember my dad (a zoologist) saying was to keep a regular
eye on it so we could make sure it could fly away and find food as soon
as it was ready to.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old 18-04-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lpete301" wrote in message

My kids have come across a red pupa in the dirt around our strawberry
plants. We have brought two of them in, with some dirt and are waiting
to see what they are going to become. I understand that they could be
any number of moths, but they look like a Large Yellow Underwing. We
see the caterpillars that look just like the pics all around our yard.

My question is: About how long before they hatch from their chrysalids
and how do we care for them? We have them in a butterfly habitat that
is netted all around and has a plastic lid that closes with a zipper.
So they have plenty of air flow, and just a small amount of dirt that
they are laying on top of. I am thinking they may need more dirt, but I
am not sure how much.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Go on to birdforum.net and get into the thread about moths, lots of experts
there.