Grease bands for fruit trees.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grease bands for fruit trees.

Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for 7.09, I
can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.

Is there anything special about them? Just seems to me to be two strips of
plastic sheeting stuck together with a thin layer of gunge. What do others
use on their fruit trees?

mark

Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in
o.uk:

Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for 7.09,
I can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.

Is there anything special about them? Just seems to me to be two
strips of plastic sheeting stuck together with a thin layer of gunge.
What do others use on their fruit trees?

mark

I use this and have done so for a few years now.

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/orga...e-p-11224.html

I first saw it in a Aldi type shop and wish I had bought a few.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Originally Posted by mark View Post
Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for 7.09, I can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.
Yes. Much better value just to buy a tin of the gunge itself, and apply it to the tree direct. Also I find it easier to apply the gunge than put the grease bands on. Whaterver they say, in reality you have to fix them on with string or the like.

In the past I have applied the grease in the summer to stop ants going up the tree. But actually the most beneficial use of it is applied about now to stop codling moths going up the tree, where they will eventually become a worm hole in your fruit. Having put the stuff on last autumn, we had practically worm-free apples this year.

Only trouble with the gunk is if you have a small child.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:10:30 +0100,
wrote:

Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for 7.09, I
can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.

Is there anything special about them? Just seems to me to be two strips of
plastic sheeting stuck together with a thin layer of gunge. What do others
use on their fruit trees?

Duckham's Silicon grease.

Wasn't Joe Cocker an expert on grease bands?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Frank Booth Snr wrote in
:

wrote:

Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for
7.09, I can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.

Is there anything special about them? Just seems to me to be two
strips of plastic sheeting stuck together with a thin layer of
gunge. What do others use on their fruit trees?

Duckham's Silicon grease.

Wasn't Joe Cocker an expert on grease bands?

LOL..LOL yes he most certainly was..
Very good
Baz

Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
Having just bought a pack of 'grease bands' made by Bayer for 7.09, I
can't help thinking 'they saw me coming'.

Is there anything special about them? Just seems to me to be two strips
of plastic sheeting stuck together with a thin layer of gunge. What do
others use on their fruit trees?

mark

Thanks for the replies.
I'll go for the tub of grease method next year.

mark