Old 24-10-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Saving begonias

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
The nasturtiums and sweet potatoes on the allotment, plus the courgettes/
pumpkins/squash plants have all turned into gooey mush. :-(

My neighbours have nasturtiums (Tropaeoleum majus) that are encroaching
on my garden - they've survived 3 frosts so far.

Blimey, I wonder why mine did so badly, then? We've only had the one frost,
but it was quite a hard one ... but even so!
My nasturtiums were very very very dead. Squishy and gooey and very very
.... dead.
Old 26-10-2010, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-22 10:22:47 +0100, stuart noble
said:

On 22/10/2010 08:06, FiveMins wrote:
snip

It's really great to get so much advice offered, thanks. I am just south
of Manchester, near Macclesfield, so I don't know how the frost we
experienced compared to London etc. I have cut off all the growth that
was killed by the frost& the remaining plants seem to be still 'OK'. I
am going to take the advice& let my plants dry out& if I find that I
have got tubers then I can look after them as suggested.

IME one overnight frost doesn't suddenly kill everything, especially if
it's followed by a sunny day.

Some gardens just down the hill from us have turned black overnight,
apparently.
--

We had a massive frost overnight 24-25 Oct (last night) even the parsley was
drooping this morning.

Old 26-10-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
We had a massive frost overnight 24-25 Oct (last night) even the parsley was
drooping this morning.
It's very early to have such a sharp one and it's the 4th frost this month.

Very glad I made Nick help me bring the fucshias in last night now! And he
got the greenhouse heater on, too. Looks like it may be a chilly season
coming up. it's like we dropped straight from summer to winter and someone
stole autumn!

Tuberless Begonias Fleemo Gardening 1 04-12-2003 11:02 PM
Something in my yard loves begonias.. William McHarg Gardening 0 14-04-2003 04:08 AM
begonias Sabaa Mundia Gardening 0 14-04-2003 01:56 AM
growing begonias miklol United Kingdom 2 22-01-2003 08:58 PM
Begonias Chunky United Kingdom 0 28-09-2002 08:42 PM