Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moving apple trees - or not

A nice orchard with about 40 apple trees is about to be destroyed, along
with the farmhouse, in order to build a giant warehouse a mile or so from
us. The (ex-)owner has said we can gather the apples, which we are doing for
our local cider-making project.

BUT - is there any way of saving these trees, short of taking cuttings from
them to graft? Someone proposed digging them up and moving them to another
site, but they're probably too old.

Any opinion welcomed on what to do now. It's all so sad.

someone

Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Oct, 20:02, "someone" wrote:
A nice orchard with about 40 apple trees is about to be destroyed, along
with the farmhouse, in order to build a giant warehouse a mile or so from
us. The (ex-)owner has said we can gather the apples, which we are doing for
our local cider-making project.

BUT - is there any way of saving these trees, short of taking cuttings from
them to graft? *Someone proposed digging them up and moving them to another
site, but they're probably too old.

Any opinion welcomed on what to do now. *It's all so sad.

someone

Moving established trees, can be done but it takes several years of
preparation. So the answer is, no.
What you should do in the future is buy English apples when available
not these foreign ones from the ends of the Earth.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
A nice orchard with about 40 apple trees is about to be destroyed, along
with the farmhouse, in order to build a giant warehouse a mile or so from
us. The (ex-)owner has said we can gather the apples, which we are doing for
our local cider-making project.

BUT - is there any way of saving these trees, short of taking cuttings from
them to graft? Someone proposed digging them up and moving them to another
site, but they're probably too old.

Any opinion welcomed on what to do now. It's all so sad.

Yes, apple trees seem to be very forgiving. In a garden of a friend a
mature apple tree - a favourite one - was blown over in a gale. She
asked me to cut it up, but I suggested leaving it as it was, as it had a
small amount of root not severed.

We piled soil up against some of the remaining root, and AFAIK it's
still fruiting well, and the apples are *SO* much easier to pick...

So, if you can get the trees out without damaging the roots too much, my
bet is that most, if not all of them will survive transplanting.

--
Rusty
Old 14-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
BUT - is there any way of saving these trees, short of taking cuttings from them to graft? Someone proposed digging them up and moving them to another site, but they're probably too old.
Why do you want to save them? All sorts of reasons not to do this:
1- If I had a spot to plant (another) apple tree, I'd want to choose carefully what variety I wanted, what rootstock it was on, etc, not accept some tree that just happens to be available.
2- Moving a mature tree is likely to be expensive, requiring machinery or huge amounts of back-breaking work, probably a lot cheaper and easier to buy something bare-rooted or container grown from a nursery (and probably the tree will be set back so waiting for a nursery tree to establish won't be much slower)
3- Apple trees wear out eventually, are these young enough to be worth the bother of moving
So unless you have cheap access to machinery enabling you to move them easily, and either this is some very special variety, or you have people with space who would want these trees regardless of what they are, I'm not sure that attempting to move them is worthwhile, sad as that may be.
Old 15-10-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:
someone;902391 Wrote:

BUT - is there any way of saving these trees, short of taking cuttings
from them to graft? Someone proposed digging them up and moving them to
another site, but they're probably too old.

Why do you want to save them? All sorts of reasons not to do this:
1- If I had a spot to plant (another) apple tree, I'd want to choose
carefully what variety I wanted, what rootstock it was on, etc, not
accept some tree that just happens to be available.

Quite. Many of these trees are likely to be of varieties which are *NOT*
available - or of unknown variety.

2- Moving a mature tree is likely to be expensive, requiring machinery
or huge amounts of back-breaking work, probably a lot cheaper and easier
to buy something bare-rooted or container grown from a nursery (and
probably the tree will be set back so waiting for a nursery tree to
establish won't be much slower)

Yes expensive. Yes, effort. But if carefully replanted, there should be
a crop on the following year.

3- Apple trees wear out eventually, are these young enough to be worth
the bother of moving

The original Bramley's seedling is still going strong, and AFAIK, cropping.

As they say across the pond - go figure.

--
Rusty

Old 26-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
A nice orchard with about 40 apple trees is about to be destroyed, along
with the farmhouse, in order to build a giant warehouse a mile or so from
us. The (ex-)owner has said we can gather the apples, which we are doing for
our local cider-making project.

BUT - is there any way of saving these trees, short of taking cuttings from
them to graft? Someone proposed digging them up and moving them to another
site, but they're probably too old.

Any opinion welcomed on what to do now. It's all so sad.

someone
What was the outcome in the end? I hope that somehow, some of the trees were saved?
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers