Old 30-10-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

An amazing and audacious experiement, growing sweet corn in lawn.

My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn every
season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in to a rest
home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his garden this year.

My existing raised gardens are fully at present.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the soil,
like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC seedlings into
the slit and then closed it back up.

The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good structure.
The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in it.

It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I can take
care of that.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

Rob

Old 30-10-2010, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I think the new owners might have an opinion, especially if/when it's ready
to harvest.

Steve

Old 30-10-2010, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

There are no new owners. It is my lawn on my property and my crop. There may
be new owners when I depart the mortal coil. By then this season sweet corn
crop will be a distant memory of decades past.

rob

Old 30-10-2010, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob wrote

[...]

The only problems I can foresee are keeping the lawn cut below/ between the
sweetcorn, and getting the plants up once they are finished.
Took me a while to realise your are in NZ, was a bit confused about planting
sweetcorn now (in the UK). It's an age thing. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-10-2010, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

The only problems I can foresee are keeping the lawn cut below/
between the sweetcorn, and getting the plants up once they are
finished. Took me a while to realise your are in NZ, was a bit
confused about planting sweetcorn now (in the UK). It's an age thing.
:-)

Would you need to get the plants up once they are finished?

Cuting them off at or just below ground would be ok? Even be good to let
the roots rot?

Its an interesting idea on a lawn when you might be struggling for space.
Sweetcorn is a very attractive plant I think and for that reason alone it
can be worthwhile looking into next year in the UK.

As you say it might be a problem mowing, and might have to choose the
fertilizer carefully so not to ruin the lawn.

Gawd! Am I planning for next year already! The catalouges arent even
printed yet.

Baz

Old 30-10-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

[...]

If I suggest planting Sweetcorn on the bit of grass Sue sits on, the rest
being borders and pond, I might well end up under the rhubarb. :-)

We have our seed catalogues already, not looked at them yet but they are
here somewhere.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-10-2010, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

[...]

As roadkill? Protect yourself and deny everything.

We have our seed catalogues already, not looked at them yet but they
are here somewhere.

It wont be long before you ask yourself "now where are those catalogues"...

Baz
Old 30-10-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Oct, 08:48, "George" wrote:
[...]

Sweet corn needs a good soil to succeed. Most lawns are nitrogen
deficient, panned down and liable to water logging. The exact
opposite to what it needs.
Old 30-10-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

Sweet corn needs a good soil to succeed. Most lawns are nitrogen
deficient, panned down and liable to water logging. The exact
opposite to what it needs.

Ah.
Good reasons why not to bother trying.

Baz
Old 30-10-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

SC needs to be planted in a grid pattern to ensure good (wind)
pollination, and being so tall it casts quite a dense shade so I don't
see lawn grasses surviving beneath it for long. ...

A light shade, actually, unless you plant it VERY densely! It is
commonly underplanted with cucurbits, and that works well. What it
will do is to take all the water (and, being a dry terrain plant,
it's quite good at that).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-10-2010, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

A light shade, actually, unless you plant it VERY densely!

iirc the planting distance is 2ft (both directions)

I plant at 18"!

It is
commonly underplanted with cucurbits, and that works well.

Not IME.I tried the Three Sisters, and it was nbg even for the bean
sister.I know that works in the USA but sun and light levels are too low
up here.

It works well enough here in the Deep South, but I didn't bother
trying the Three Sisters, because the sweetcorn would deprive the
beans of water, and the beans would deprive the sweetcorn of light.
My climbing beans would quite happily get to 10', and even tall
sweetcorn doesn't get above that here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

I found that early in the season when it's still cool here, the beans
grew much faster than the corn so had nothing to climb up and sprawled
in heaps and the squash and corn were just overwhelmed.

That would happen here, too.

I grow beans up cane wigwams and they get much taller than corn
plants

I grow mine over a 4m x 4m x 2m cage, made out of old swings etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2010, 04:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:18:47 +1300, "George" wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Is the house being sold, but not the garden?

No, he is selling the entire lot - freehold house on freehold land. No cross
lease etc, all going on the market as an entire package. Usual form of home
ownership over here is house and land both freehold.

rob

Old 31-10-2010, 04:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On 30 Oct, 08:48, "George" wrote:
[...]

The lawn has good clover cover and has been fertilised with organic
fertilisers over the years. I also mulch much of the clippings back in to
it. I am assuming it will be fertile however your comment could well be the
case. Thanks for the comment. Some extra feeding may be required so I will
monitor that. The lawn itself is well draining and doesn't suffer from being
too wet. The soil structure is good.

rob