Old 26-10-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone know about Cylinder mowers (Suffolk Punch 35S)

Just aquired one at the local auction for a tenner as have always
fancied a cylinder mower so Im going to town on it and already stripped
and cleaned the carb, sorted the loose nuts, made sure there is a spark
and compression :-)

However, the biggest thing I need to suss (other than wondering if the
exhaust needs a decoke) is how to sharpen the blade!

I have already downloaded the manuals for the model from the qualcast
site but of course they relate to the later machines where there is a
"quick cassette" system to remove the cylinder for said sharpening.

However, this older model does not have said system and it looks like
you nearly need to dismantle the whole bottom end to get the cylinder
out!!

The only other option I can see is to sharpen the cylinder blades in
the machine?

--
Donnie
Old 26-10-2010, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:58:44 +0100, Donnie wrote:

The only other option I can see is to sharpen the cylinder blades in
the machine?

Against the bottom blade, probably the best option. As I understand
it sharpening a cyliner outside of the machine needs a special jig to
ensure that the cylinder is properly centred and square in relation
to the sharpening tool. Get it only a fraction of centre and it'll
not cut well, off square you might be able to compensate for.

To a certain extent cylinder mowers are self sharpening. What state
are the blades, particulary the bottom one in?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-10-2010, 04:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day donnie,

can't remember now but in my mower mechanic days i did have suffolks
etc sharpened, this needs to be done on a lathe, some of those older
models you maybe have to remove that side of the chassis where the
belts/chains are to get the cylinder out, a little easier on our
homegrown scott bonnar.

check with your local good mower shops some owners of lathes can
sharpen the cylinder while it is still in the mower, just need to
remove the bottom blade assembly, and at sharpening time always
replace the bottom blade and have it surface ground to ensure it is
perfectly even along the whole length, again not sure but might need
to use an impact driver to replace bottom blade?

realy not handyman stuff can get lots wrong and make it cost more find
a good service centre.

the blades (especially bottom one) will stay sharp and wear even if
you set the blades about every hour of work (not the height setting
for cutting) to keep the cylinder blade and bottom blade touching just
right. there is a knack. also stones, doggy bones kids toys very hard
little twigs can all cause blade damage which will bring a good
sharpen undone, there is an art in using these types of mowers.

best people to talk to those who earn their living using these
machines.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:58:44 +0100, "Donnie"
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 27-10-2010, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Oct, 19:58, "Donnie" wrote:
[...]

At one time you could buy an abrasive blade that you fitted
temporarily and ran the machine propped up &it sharpened it that way..
Dunno if you can still get them.
Old 27-10-2010, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:

On 26 Oct, 19:58, "Donnie" wrote:
[...]

Thanks all for the replies on this as it was doing my head in, even
woke this morning thinking about it!

It does look like the chassis of the mower would literally need
splitting to get the cylinder blades out! and the whole lathe idea,
cost time and effort etc is making it look like too much hassle but
then when Harry mentioned the self sharpening idea I did a quick google
and came up with this and several like it
http://tooltray.com/garden-tools/gar...26-maintenance
/blade-%26-chain-sharpeners/1201-cylinder-mower-sharpener-12in.htm?utm_s
ource=Tooltray&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Sho pping so that may be
an option for me

--
Donnie

Old 27-10-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Oct, 19:58, "Donnie" wrote:
[...]

Really you need to forget DIY sharpening - take it to a proper mower
shop to get it sharpened & set (on a purpose made machine). From then
on keep it set properly, don't bang the bottom blade on anything hard.
There are abrasive pastes you can use - brush it onto the blades and
then run it for a while and wash off, these are normally used on big
pro machines that can be temporarily set up to run the blades
backwards - this lapping works better that way but in anycase it's
only a stop gap method to get a heavily used machine to the end of the
season.

The cost of a proper service will be repaid by the quality of the cut
you get. Cylinder mowers are a waste of time unless they are
maintained properly but if looked after they are very good indeed.

Rod
Old 27-10-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

notsure how effective this will be but give it a go, keep in mind each
blade needs to exact to the next blades, best way i can explain it the
imaginary cylinder must be perfectly round well almost perfect, that's
why the lathe is needed, if this almost pefection is not achieved then
the cut will not be good, they cut like scissors maybe that will help?

if one is a real cylinder mowing fan that is has the best of lawns,
even and all but level, then doing the work or paying to have it done
for you (best option), and then learning how to ge the msot and best
out of the machine and blades is all going to be worth it, if matched
against the price of buying a new machine which still needs the same
expertise to use it.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:40:24 +0100, "Donnie"
wrote:

snipped

Old 28-10-2010, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Oct, 19:40, gardenlen wrote:
they cut like scissors maybe that will help?

if one is a real cylinder mowing fan that is has the best of lawns,
even and all but level, then doing the work or paying to have it done
for you (best option), and then learning how to ge the msot and best
out of the machine and blades is all going to be worth it, if matched
against the price of buying a new machine which still needs the same
expertise to use it.

A rough and ready test the op could and should use is to see if it
really does cut like scissors. Just slip a piece of newspaper between
a cutting edge of the cylinder and the bottom blade and turn the
cylinder slowly by hand (mind your fingers) and the paper should be
cut cleanly if everything is as it should be. You will of course have
disconnected the spark plug before you do this. Len's right, look at
the price of new cylinder mowers or reconditioned old ones, it's
probably still a very good bargain even after you've paid for
servicing the cylinder and bottom blade.

Rod
Old 28-10-2010, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day rod,

i used to use one of those manila labels they used to have in the good
old days before sticky came along, reason being blades that are not
unused might need extra tension used to actualy cut paper, where they
didn't to cut the label, a playing card was just a tad too thick. use
the same method with the push cylinder mower we have can appreciate if
blades are set too tight the work is harder, on the pusher.

yep reconditioning is the way to go so long as the lawn realy merits
the use of a cylindr mowr.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:45:03 -0700 (PDT), Rod
wrote:
snipped

Old 31-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie[_2_] View Post
harry wrote:

On 26 Oct, 19:58, "Donnie" wrote:
[...]

Garden Machinery Spares & Maintenance | Tooltray.com
/blade-%26-chain-sharpeners/1201-cylinder-mower-sharpener-12in.htm?utm_s
ource=Tooltray&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Sho pping so that may be
an option for me

--
Donnie

HI I SHARPEN THESE CYLINDERS AND BLADES FOR A LIVING AND HAVE DONE FOR SOME TIME THE INFO ON HERE IS PRETTY MUCH CORRECT, I WOULDNT ADVISE USING THE SELF SHARPENING IDEA. IF YOU DID WANT YOUR CYLINDER SHARPENING RIGHT YOU WILL BE LOOKING TO PAY AROUND £1.50 PER INCH.

Suffolk Punch 35s not starting parkie Lawns 1 11-04-2014 06:38 PM
Suffolk Punch 35s Problem mossy1283 Lawns 3 29-08-2012 01:04 PM
Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35s Auldjo Lawns 2 02-10-2011 04:27 PM
Suffolk Punch 35s setup Merky Lawns 1 12-06-2010 08:55 PM
Any opinions on modern (Qualcast) Suffolk Punch Mowers gh2 United Kingdom 0 04-10-2004 11:49 AM