Old 15-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered User

Default What is the black stuff in my grass?

There is a black stuff which has appeared in the grass in my garden. I am really worried it is some sort of fungus as it is killing the grass. It looks like oil, however it isn't. At first I thought it might be due to the drains underground, however they have been checked and are perfectly fine. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 15-11-2010, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/2010 09:24, hollierose wrote:
There is a black stuff which has appeared in the grass in my garden. I
am really worried it is some sort of fungus as it is killing the grass.
It looks like oil, however it isn't. At first I thought it might be due
to the drains underground, however they have been checked and are
perfectly fine. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Maybe some sort of slime mould?

--

Jeff
Old 15-11-2010, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:24:24 +0000, hollierose
wrote:

There is a black stuff which has appeared in the grass in my garden.

Almost certain its Algae , like black slime!

Comes when the lawn is a bit bare , and has been waterlogged.
Anything overhanging like trees can make the situation worse..
Can also be found on turf that is on heavy soil which has been
mistreated.

Get rid of it by using lawn sand, but it will come back unless the
under lying causes are dealt with.

Spiking, top dressing, drainage etc, in fact normal lawn care will
help.

Derek
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 15-11-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hollierose" wrote in message

There is a black stuff which has appeared in the grass in my garden. I
am really worried it is some sort of fungus as it is killing the grass.
It looks like oil, however it isn't. At first I thought it might be due
to the drains underground, however they have been checked and are
perfectly fine. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Any drilling by BP in the area?

mark

Old 16-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered User

Oh dear, no I don't think so. Is this stuff harmful then? Thanks everyone for letting me know! I am worried that it is harmful. And I will definitely get some lawn sand as soon as possible.