Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered User

Default Too late to split Allium Globemaster?

Hello, I planted 5 original Globemaster alliums about 4 years ago which have now split into 3 or 4 bulbs each - they all flowered last year but I completely forgot to split them in the autumn - out of sight out of mind! Now they are all showing themselves again, some are 5 inches, some only 2 inches. Would I be completely mad to - extremely carefully, dig them up and split them now? Thanks, Wren
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/02/2011 12:18, wrenhere wrote:
Hello, I planted 5 original Globemaster alliums about 4 years ago which
have now split into 3 or 4 bulbs each - they all flowered last year but
I completely forgot to split them in the autumn - out of sight out of
mind! Now they are all showing themselves again, some are 5 inches,
some only 2 inches. Would I be completely mad to - extremely carefully,
dig them up and split them now? Thanks, Wren

You would have to be *extremely* careful! The roots will be very
brittle and, once broken, will tend not to regrow this season in the
manner of other plants. If you can be really careful, do it, but in
your position I would just gently explore with a hand fork to see how
much root has been made. Hopefully, you'll catch them just in time.
Good luck.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 13-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
[...]

Thanks for that Spider, I might have a go with a couple of them and leave the others, so if the worst happens I won't lose them all. Not today though, much too wet out there today!

Wren

Globemaster Alliums Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 2 27-09-2005 05:35 AM
How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM