Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Choisya ternata Sundance

The brightest thing in my garden all the year around is Choisya
ternata Sundance. Was wondering if any one had any ideas for something
to plant next to it.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2011 18:01, Derek wrote:
The brightest thing in my garden all the year around is Choisya
ternata Sundance. Was wondering if any one had any ideas for something
to plant next to it.
Thanks

It would help to know where you are, but here goes (check for hardiness):

Fatshedera
Phormium
Bronze Fennel
Blue or bronze grasses
Carex 'Evergold'
Euonymus 'Silver Queen'
Heucheras
Bergenias
Lots of hardy winter bulbs underneath to give a carpet of cheering
colour, such as: Snowdrops, Winter Aconites, Cyclamen coum, early crocus.
Also, Pulmonarias would look good with their spotted leaves, and their
flowers would give you colour as the bulbs die back. They are also an
excellent early feast for bees.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message
The brightest thing in my garden all the year around is Choisya
ternata Sundance. Was wondering if any one had any ideas for something
to plant next to it.
Thanks

Agreed. Choiysia is well worth the price paid for it. I'm not much of a
gardener but have a few planted here and there - just can't resist them.

Bill

Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:47:26 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message
.. .
The brightest thing in my garden all the year around is Choisya
ternata Sundance. Was wondering if any one had any ideas for something
to plant next to it.
Thanks

Agreed. Choiysia is well worth the price paid for it. I'm not much of a
gardener but have a few planted here and there - just can't resist them.

I live in Lincoln, and the Choisya thrives, without much tending, I
like the suggestion of a Heucherella, but I do have enough space for
something to make a statement :-) as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wrote in message
The brightest thing in my garden all the year around is Choisya
ternata Sundance. Was wondering if any one had any ideas for something
to plant next to it.
Thanks

Agreed. Choiysia is well worth the price paid for it. I'm not much of a
gardener but have a few planted here and there - just can't resist them.

I live in Lincoln, and the Choisya thrives, without much tending, I
like the suggestion of a Heucherella, but I do have enough space for
something to make a statement :-) as well.

A purple-leaved shrub would be very handsome next to Choisya, but few
are evergreen so you'd only get the benefit in summer. Look at Sambucus
nigra 'Black Lace' and 'Black Beauty' or perhaps the purple-leaved
hazel. Although small in stature, Pittisporum 'Tom Thumb' might be a
good companion. For a tiny (about 6') purple-leaved tree, try Prunus
cistena 'Crimson Dwarf'. Again, it is deciduous, but has lovely pale
pink single blossom with dark crimson stamens. Mine is always admired :~).

Among the plants I suggested, the Fatshedera is the one I thought would
make a good specimen because of its large, glossy leaves. It also has
handsome flowers (ivy-like but more showy) and berries which are good
for insects and birds, respectively. Because it has an entire leaf, it
would contrast well with the deeply lobed leaves of the Choisyia. Alas,
no-one has bred a purple- or bronze-leaved one yet, although there is a
cream variegated one. In drafty Lincoln, you may have a problem with
wind-torn leaves, though :~(.

Possibly a well-shaped specimen of Eleagnus pungens maculata (evergreen
leaves splashed with yellow) would work, but you may have to curb its
enthusiasm. I had a hedge of it a few years ago and it looked wonderful
in winter.

Try googling on "purple-leaved shrubs". I just did. Few offer startling
winter interest, but you may see something that takes your fancy.
Another idea would be to visit winter gardens in the Lincoln area (or
beyond if you can). Take a note book and camera to write down names and
capture inspirations.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek[_6_] View Post
The brightest thing in my garden all the year around is Choisya
ternata Sundance. Was wondering if any one had any ideas for something
to plant next to it.
Thanks
Hi Derek, im a great fan of plants with foliage colour and texure, I try to treat flowers as a bonus. Im also a great fan of Pieris, they have those longlasting flowers in winter and then the magnificent spring display of shoots. Id go for 'mountain fire' and around the Choisya Id plant Heuchera 'Midnight Rose'
with maybe some Euonymous silver queen as well. That would give colour texture and ground cover all one could ever ask for !!
Lannerman.
Old 13-02-2011, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
Agreed. Choiysia is well worth the price paid for it. I'm not much of a
gardener but have a few planted here and there - just can't resist them.

Bill

But they do pong something terrible and they can get out of control
easily!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-02-2011, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
A purple-leaved shrub would be very handsome next to Choisya,

Or something completely different in shape and form like a Nandina?
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 13-02-2011, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
Here in the cooler north I find both the green and yellow leaf forms
are pretty well behaved and the smell of flowers (sweet) and leaves
(lemony) is mild and pleasant.

Janet.

The flowers smell nice but i hate the smell of the leaves on all of them
apart from the finer leafed variety.