keeping cats away from birds' nest?

Old 22-05-2011, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default keeping cats away from birds' nest?

Hello,

We have some sparrows nesting in our hedge and all the local cats are
trying to reach it. Is there a way to keep the cats away? I searched
on google and found a product called "silent roar" recommended. I
phoned the garden centre to enquire if they stocked it and the
gentleman said they stocked that and pepper powders but he said many
people bring them back, claiming they don't work and more or less said
that I shouldn't waste my money on them.

I silent roar any good in your experience? What about the pepper one?
Is it just cooking pepper? Do any of these work in your experience?

Does anyone know how long sparrows nest for?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old 22-05-2011, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

We have some sparrows nesting in our hedge and all the local cats are
trying to reach it. Is there a way to keep the cats away? I searched
on google and found a product called "silent roar" recommended. I
phoned the garden centre to enquire if they stocked it and the
gentleman said they stocked that and pepper powders but he said many
people bring them back, claiming they don't work and more or less said
that I shouldn't waste my money on them.

I silent roar any good in your experience? What about the pepper one?
Is it just cooking pepper? Do any of these work in your experience?

Does anyone know how long sparrows nest for?

I hate to say this but, as a cat owner, if it can be reached, it will be
reached. If it is within reach of cats, unless you can arrange a physical
barrier of some kind, they'll get it.

My cat, Cassie, is a typical cat. She's an absolute psychopath. Once she
locates a nest, she will spend hour after hour trying to get to it,
remorselessly. I'm worried right now because there are robins nesting in the
berberis hedge that borders the park next door and it looks like it might be
a vulnerable spot. Cats are apparently the only creature on Earth that are
invulnerable to berberis spines.

Ian

Old 22-05-2011, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

We have some sparrows nesting in our hedge and all the local cats are
trying to reach it. Is there a way to keep the cats away? I searched
on google and found a product called "silent roar" recommended. I
phoned the garden centre to enquire if they stocked it and the
gentleman said they stocked that and pepper powders but he said many
people bring them back, claiming they don't work and more or less said
that I shouldn't waste my money on them.

I silent roar any good in your experience? What about the pepper one?
Is it just cooking pepper? Do any of these work in your experience?

Does anyone know how long sparrows nest for?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I was once given this tip.. cut lemons up - or oranges- wedges better than
slices- they dont dry up as fast.
place all along , or around nesting areas... Don't let them dry out- few
tbsp. hot water on the wedges should help- daily.
I spent money on Silent Roar at one time and it didn't seem to do much.
Wold be interested to know if you've tried this, and the results-- perhaps
in few days.

Margaret

Old 22-05-2011, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote

Stephen wrote:
[...]

I always think of it as Darwin's Theory at work, if birds build their nests
in places hunters can reach then they don't get to breed successfully.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-05-2011, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 22, 9:19*pm, "Ian B" wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

Ian- Hide quoted text -

You need to keep your cat indoors. Someone will poison it with anti-
freeze.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

We have some sparrows nesting in our hedge and all the local cats are
trying to reach it. Is there a way to keep the cats away? I searched
on google and found a product called "silent roar" recommended. I
phoned the garden centre to enquire if they stocked it and the
gentleman said they stocked that and pepper powders but he said many
people bring them back, claiming they don't work and more or less said
that I shouldn't waste my money on them.

I silent roar any good in your experience? What about the pepper one?
Is it just cooking pepper? Do any of these work in your experience?

Does anyone know how long sparrows nest for?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Its probably too late for this year but if during the winter you can put
some chicken wire to screen off where the nest are the birds can get through
but the cats can't, we use this for the hedges to stop Magpies and Jays
getting at the smaller birds nests.

Sparrows just keep going all year, ours use the back of the barn in the ivy,
an area we have christened Benidorm!

I think if you try it now you will just cause more harm than good, make sure
your cat has got a bell on may give them a fighting chance. although reading
your post it appears that it is cats plural and they are not all yours

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs