Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered User

Location: North Essex
Default Bonfires

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc, that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 20:04:46 +0000, Chris Fryer
wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

Hi

Welcome to Usenet. Garden Banter can't answer your question so it
sends it on to us here at the UK Rec Gardening Newsgroup (spend a bit
of time reading Garden Banter FAQs and you might just get to
understand that!). Anyhow ...

You don't say where you are.

The rules differ between different local authorities (LAs). Your best
bet is to phone your own LA and ask the question.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

IMPORTANT: To those seeing this message in Garden Banter
or other "forums": The forum you're in is pulling stuff
from something called Usenet, in particular the UK Rec
Gardening newsgroup.There's a lot more to this but if you
see a message from someone calling himself "Mike" and using
an email address ending "woollies.com" the best thing you can
do is ignore the idiot. He does not, in any way, speak for
the group. He admits that he knows nothing about gardening.
He is simply what the internet calls a ~troll". You have
been warned.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Chris Fryer

Best of all is to make a compost heap. I don't burn anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris. I am the Mike referred to in the posting above. A bit of an icon
in uk.gardening.rec. You will of course have noticed the dig at you for
coming into this hallowed newsgroup from gardenbanter. Nearly everybody has
to endure it, sorry.

Mike

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

--
Chris Fryer

Best of all is to make a compost heap. I don't burn anything

.................................................. ..............

As everybody knows we only have a small garden, which in turn is split into
small 'gardens', 'gardens' much to the amusement to some , however, we
compost a lot but there are some things which we do not entrust to the
compost heap. Obnoxious weeds and large tooooooooooo chunky branches which
won't go through the shredder. These go to my daughter and son in laws
garden for a bonfire. Their garden is too big for any neighbour to be
annoyed which I think is your main thought, 'Will it annoy a neighbour'. If
you get on with your neighbours, as I do, the last thing you want to do is
upset them

Mike

Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote ...

Chris Fryer wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

Best of all is to make a compost heap. I don't burn anything.

Or take it down to your local tip where they recycle green waste. That way
you won't annoy your neighbours on a sunny day like one of ours constantly
does with his foul smelling smoky fires.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"harry" wrote ...

Chris Fryer wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

Best of all is to make a compost heap. I don't burn anything.

Or take it down to your local tip where they recycle green waste. That way
you won't annoy your neighbours on a sunny day like one of ours constantly
does with his foul smelling smoky fires.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Bob not sure what the Act is, but he can be warned and prosecuted as a
'nuisance'. Do you have a Community Police Officer? They will have a quiet
word with them. I had this a while back with a neighbour somewhere, (I
couldn't pin it down as to where it was) with a radio on very loud. It
sounded as if it was coming from the other side of the railway line. Anyway,
CPO doing the rounds had it dealt with very quickly. She reported back to me
with an apology from the offender!!!

Mike

Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

Don't annoy the neighbours.
Check if they've got washing out.

Someone reckons there's a bonfire bylaw round here that says no
bonfires on a Sunday.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-01 21:04:46 +0100, Chris Fryer
said:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

They appear to differ from local authority to local authority. *Best to
check with your local/parish council, perhaps.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

If you ask and are told "No, never", you have a problem. Best not to
ask. Compost whatever you can and save the rest for a big once-a-year
burn-up around November 5th when no one can reasonably complain, even
if they can work out where the fire it is. that's what I do. Except
that for the last few years, it's been far too wet around then for my
pile to burn, so it's getting rather big.

Chris
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

Don't annoy the neighbours.
Check if they've got washing out.

Someone reckons there's a bonfire bylaw round here that says no
bonfires on a Sunday.

Although that may well be possible especially in North Wales there are
also no enforcement inspectors working on Sundays either.

If you are going to have a bonfire make sure that everything is tinder
dry and will burn cleanly without excessive smoke or smouldering and
make sure no-one has washing hung out nearby. It is really annoying when
some halfwit torches a huge pile of leaves just dry enough to keep
burning and they sit smouldering with acrid smoke for days afterwards.

Also make sure you have the means to put it out if it gets too big. Dry
wood and bushes can burn very fast and furious once they catch light.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Or take it down to your local tip where they recycle green waste. That
way you won't annoy your neighbours on a sunny day like one of ours
constantly does with his foul smelling smoky fires.

As well as the foul smelling smoky fires it has been not been uncommon
where I live for the fire service to be called out when the smoke is
visible from a few streets away. Obviously well intentioned because I
suppose they think some poor soul is in trouble.

Don't you have wheelie bins for garden refuse where you live? We have had
ours for years.

We have 3 bins, one large one for general household waste, 2 smaller ones,
one for cardboard and plastic, the other for green garden waste.

We also have 2 plastic boxes, one for newspapers/mags. and the other for
tin cans and glass.

Makes me think what people put into the large general houshold bin.

I have drifted off topic I know but I feel it is warrented.

Baz
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 18:51:32 GMT, Baz wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

[...]

Lucky you, Baz (in relation to garden waste recycling not the local
fire fanatic). Nothing like that here. You have to buy little green
plastic bags at an exorbitant price. The bags are so weak that they
break if you put more than a couple of left over impatiens in them and
then you have to use another one to put the first in or they won't
collect it.

The black bags the council supply for non-recyclable waste are
deliberately almost see-through. If the guys notice any plant material
in the bag they will leave it.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

Lucky you, Baz (in relation to garden waste recycling not the local
fire fanatic). Nothing like that here. You have to buy little green
plastic bags at an exorbitant price. The bags are so weak that they
break if you put more than a couple of left over impatiens in them and
then you have to use another one to put the first in or they won't
collect it.

The black bags the council supply for non-recyclable waste are
deliberately almost see-through. If the guys notice any plant material
in the bag they will leave it.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk

Different councils I guess.

I think we are lucky where we live. You on the other hand are not and I am
sure that this way of thinking will surely come soon for you.

If I had to guess, I think that we have had this for at 5 years at least.

We had to fight the council BTW (not me) to find out how our couincil tax
was being used, and Elliot Morley flopped over like a rotten kipper. To be
fair, he was doing it already. A shove in the right place.

Baz

BTW, I love your post on GB
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:59:29 GMT, Baz wrote:

I think we are lucky where we live. You on the other hand are not and I am
sure that this way of thinking will surely come soon for you.

It's been debated ad nauseam and things won't change any time soon. At
least I'm lucky in that I've got a decent 2 mile run along clear roads
to the local tip (which we must now call "Civic Amenity Site"). I'm
now having to use that as I have no more composting or leaf moulding
capacity but neighbours know I'll take their stuff when I go - fill
the car to bursting point - so at least they don't have to fork out
for the blasted bags.

But to be fair, we have all sorts of weekly recycling collections and
the council will collect big things like old lounge suites, fridges
and freezers, beds and wotnot free of charge if they're beyond
freecycling.

If I had to guess, I think that we have had this for at 5 years at least.

Where my mother lived they had brown wheelie bins for garden waste,
collected weekly. Because she had limited mobility, all she had to do
(well her morning carer did) was unlock the garden gate and the chaps
would nip in and wheel her bin (and the general waste one every other
week) out and back in again. I always wondered why they had a brown
bin for green waste and a green bin for brown waste as it were

We had to fight the council BTW (not me) to find out how our couincil tax
was being used, and Elliot Morley flopped over like a rotten kipper. To be
fair, he was doing it already. A shove in the right place.

You mean you've found out how your council tax is spent? I worked in
the local government field (though not directly for a local authority)
for about 36 years an I've never been able to find out! The local
community council's accounts show expenditure on crayons and colouring
books, presumably for the community councillors to use during
meetings, and donations to some jazz band (I think they use some
instruments called "bazookas") that's 15 miles away and has no link to
the local community as far as I know (other than a community
councillor being the grandmother of a couple of young girls in the
band).

Baz

BTW, I love your post on GB

If you mean the sig, I've retired it after a quick burst but may
resurrect once in a while if sphincterman starts stirring it again.
Otherwise I will no longer acknowledge his existence.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

There are also national regulations about having a bonfire within a certain distance of the road (smoke blowing into road and obscuring drivers' view)

garden bonfires and the law rufus United Kingdom 21 04-08-2011 02:25 PM
What can I do with the ash from my bonfires? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 15-05-2006 04:08 PM
Bonfires/ hedgehogs Janet Galpin United Kingdom 28 21-03-2006 09:02 PM
Bonfires Janet Galpin United Kingdom 7 19-03-2006 08:49 PM
bonfires H Ryder United Kingdom 20 09-09-2005 11:26 PM