Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_4_] View Post
Bramley - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for ER
No, that's wrong, as I said in an earlier post. If you don't believe me, try the RHS:

"To complicate things further, a few apple and pear cultivars (known as triploids) such as ‘Bramley’s Seedling’, ‘Holstein’, ‘Ribston Pippin’, ‘Blenheim Orange’ and ‘Catillac’ produce mainly sterile pollen. These won’t be any use for cross-pollinating other trees, and still need other trees to set their fruit. Therefore if you grow a triploid cultivar you will also need two other trees that will pollinate each other as well as the triploid, and these three cultivars must all flower at the same time."

Pollination / RHS Gardening
__________________
Old 13-04-2012, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit tree prices

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit
trees, 2 for £20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that £10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

£10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

Nothing that I can see - about 3-4' tall and healthy looking, with roots
covered.

--

Do they indicate the rootstock used? Just look for clean undamaged stems
seems a good price

I now have :-)

Victoria Plum - semi dwarfing Myrobalan - self fertile
Greengage - semi dwarfing Myrobalan - self fertile
Bramley - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for ER
Egremont Russet - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for B

All trees are 2m tall.

The label states that the trees are not established in the pots i.e. they
have been put in the pots to transport and sell and have not been in them
long term.
I did see a couple where there were roots showing above the post
suggesting that the pot wasn't really deep enough for that particular
tree.

However all four look pretty good, and I've just been to Lidl which has
dwarf fruit trees for £9.99 so the price still seems reasonable.

Now to go and plant them out whilst the weather is nice and showery.

All planted up now.
They all looked to be bare rooted plants (presumably lifted from a nursery)
which had been potted up for sale.
Three of the four (the apples and the Victoria plum) had a lot of new root
growth; nice white straggly things.
The forth (Greengage) had more root mass but was just starting to put out
new roots.

So far, well satisfied.

I did go back for stakes to support them but at £3.79 a pop I decided to use
a pair of garden canes (free courtesy of a previous allotment holder) per
tree as support.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 13-04-2012, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-11, Christina Websell wrote:
Bramleys are a triploid, you will need two different apple trees to
pollinate it.

Just being a bit pedantic.

Pollen from another ONE (non-triploid) variety (A) will pollinate the
Bramley. BUT, the Bramley pollen will not pollinate (A), hence there is
need of another, non-triploid, variety to pollinate (A).

There are other triploids varieties too. So if you have N triploid apples,
you will need an extra 2 non-triploid varieties to ensure that all trees
are pollinated.
Old 14-04-2012, 09:01 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

I've already posted that info twice - does that mean my posts aren't making it through to urg?
__________________
Old 14-04-2012, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-11, Christina Websell
wrote:
Bramleys are a triploid, you will need two different apple trees to
pollinate it.

Just being a bit pedantic.

Pollen from another ONE (non-triploid) variety (A) will pollinate the
Bramley. BUT, the Bramley pollen will not pollinate (A), hence there is
need of another, non-triploid, variety to pollinate (A).

There are other triploids varieties too. So if you have N triploid apples,
you will need an extra 2 non-triploid varieties to ensure that all trees
are pollinated.

Pedant away, Jim.
Useful information :-)

Old 14-04-2012, 09:03 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
This is the first post from you I can see in this thread. I did a
quick check yesterday and identified about 15 posts (including two
complete threads) to GB which I hadn't seen on Usenet.
.
thanks, Jake.

Since I haven't found a free newsreader for the Mac, and I can't justify paying for one to read one ng, I guess this is my farewell as a poster to urg!
__________________
Old 15-04-2012, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:03:58 +0000, kay
wrote:

Jake;955983 Wrote:

This is the first post from you I can see in this thread. I did a
quick check yesterday and identified about 15 posts (including two
complete threads) to GB which I hadn't seen on Usenet.
.

thanks, Jake.

Since I haven't found a free newsreader for the Mac, and I can't justify
paying for one to read one ng, I guess this is my farewell as a poster
to urg!

Don't say that - if you continue to post to GB then some of your stuff
at least will get thru here. Must admit that until I checked I'd
thought GB was pretty reliable at chundering stuff each way (apart
from the odd rare period which is a fact of life on Usenet).

As to newsreaders, have you considered Thunderbird. It's free and
available for Macs. You then need a newsserver. BT have a free one
(though it may be limited to BT customers) which carries URG but it is
very slow. Alternatively. as Sacha suggests, 10 euros a year for the
N.I.N service is cheap for all the entertainment on offer here.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the sunny and refreshingly green
east end of Swansea Bay.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:27 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Well, I don't know what you actually wrote, but it came out as a-circumflex, a horizontal bar with a pendant on the RHS, 10 :-)
__________________
Old 15-04-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:27:46 +0000, kay
wrote:

a-circumflex, a horizontal bar with a pendant on the RHS

All that is the Euro symbol (see my other post) as interpreted by
Garden Banter. The following "10" is the number of Euros.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 15-04-2012, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay.9ff9616
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Jake;955983 Wrote:

This is the first post from you I can see in this thread. I did a
quick check yesterday and identified about 15 posts (including two
complete threads) to GB which I hadn't seen on Usenet.
.

thanks, Jake.

Since I haven't found a free newsreader for the Mac, and I can't justify
paying for one to read one ng, I guess this is my farewell as a poster
to urg!
kay

Hope not! I see Kay's posts regularly ;obviously only in those threads
I open; I don't follow all threads. So if I missed any posts by her I
assume they were in some thread I ignored.

My newsreader is showing the same threads as the ones that currently
appear in gardenbanter's portal of urg.

Any GB gaps in previous threads are probably the result of
Gardenbanter's archive policy. Original posts by Usenet posters using "x-
no-archive" will only show on GB for 14 days.

Janet
Old 15-04-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/15/2012 12:27 PM, kay wrote:

My computer's OK. It writes Portuguese with no problem. I think we know
who to blame! OK, I'll look into NIN.

Highly recommended. I've been using them for years.

grapes the wine of fruit, then buffaloeberry the champagne or spiceof fruit [email protected] Plant Science 0 22-07-2008 07:46 AM
ripe fruit versus unripe fruit ; horse, Llama, donkey a_plutonium Plant Science 11 13-07-2007 08:12 AM
Walnut tree prices Srgnt Billko Lawns 2 16-08-2006 07:07 PM
Why is that fruit known as "Queen of Fruit"? Mangosteen Australia 0 20-04-2005 08:54 AM
Fruit & Vegetable Rinse washes fruit & vegetable thoroughly to prevent Isaac Kwong sci.agriculture 0 02-06-2003 06:44 PM