Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trugs - The Strongest Ones?

Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive they are.
Can you recommend some that you have used that are really strong?

TIA

Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Racquel Darrian" .(y)uk wrote in
:

Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive
they are. Can you recommend some that you have used that are really
strong?

TIA

Blueyonder, well ok a long time has passed.

Trugs? what are they?

Baz
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2012 14:35, Baz wrote:
"Racquel .(y)uk wrote in
:

Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive
they are. Can you recommend some that you have used that are really
strong?

TIA

Blueyonder, well ok a long time has passed.

Trugs? what are they?

Baz

Baskets basically. Used for harvesting fruit and veg.
I recommend the blue plastic ones sold at Pointe Verte here in France
but may a little too far to travel. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Racquel Darrian" .(y)uk wrote in
:

Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive
they are. Can you recommend some that you have used that are really
strong?

TIA

Blueyonder, well ok a long time has passed.

Trugs? what are they?

Tool boxes for gardeners.
Often shallow and streamlined and made of pretty woods etc..
You sometimes see them with collections of fruit and vegetables artfully
displayed.
Seee for instance
http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/harv..._source=google

At the moment I am using a folding shopping basket from Lidl with a canvas
body and an aluminium frame.
Oblong and deep rather than shield shaped and shallow but does the job.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

Trugs? what are they?

No substitute for a plastic bucket.

Janet

Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-08 13:28:28 +0100, "Racquel Darrian"
.(y)uk said:

Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive
they are.
Can you recommend some that you have used that are really strong?

TIA

If you want something to carry tools around in, a bucket is best, imo or
one of those large squashy ones sold in gcs and riding equipment places,
because you can get a lot of weeds in those, too! If you want something
decorative as well, a shallow wicker basket does the trick. I've also
seen some which are longer (and shallow) which are used for cutting
garden flowers.

I use my trugs mainly for weeding, can get a lot more weeds into one
than a bucket, also easier to put in larger weeds. They are also handy
for harvesting an assortment of vegetables from the garden for a meal.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 15:09:58 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 08/04/2012 14:35, Baz wrote:
"Racquel .(y)uk wrote in
:

Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive
they are. Can you recommend some that you have used that are really
strong?

TIA

Blueyonder, well ok a long time has passed.

Trugs? what are they?

Baz

Baskets basically. Used for harvesting fruit and veg.
I recommend the blue plastic ones sold at Pointe Verte here in France
but may a little too far to travel. ;-)

I have a green plastic one that came as a freebie with a short-lived
gardening magazine many years ago. It outlived my "expensive" one
despite being used more. I've also got a large green plastic tool
caddy and a belt-on holder that takes three pairs of secateurs (useful
for different jobs) plus a hand fork and spade and a ball of twine
that came with the same mag. Maybe the quality of its freebies was the
reason it failed as a mag.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racquel Darrian View Post
Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive they are.
Can you recommend some that you have used that are really strong?

TIA
What do you mean by "trug"? Do you mean a flattish basket about 40cm long and about 20cm deep with a handle over the top, which is the original meaning of "trug". Or do you mean a deep softish plastic tub, usually in a bright colour, with a little handle at each side, which are now being called "trugs"?

If the latter, yes, it happens to me too. I just buy the cheapest I can find, and regard them as expendable.

It helps if you always pick them up by both handles simultaneously rather than yank them up by one.
__________________
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 8, 4:04*pm, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 15:09:58 +0200, David in Normandy

wrote:
On 08/04/2012 14:35, Baz wrote:
"Racquel .(y)uk *wrote in
:

[...]

Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.- Hide quoted text -

I was brought up with "Trugs" when we lived in Hastings, we used then
when we were cutting cucumbers as they held more and did no dammage to
the fruit, but that was the proper "Trug" or "Sussex Trug"
http://www.truggery.co.uk/whatisatrug.asp
I now use several of the Plastic "bucket" thing that is called a trug
by some http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/w...tub_trugs.html
Good for carying anything from compost to water, and when filled with
water great for washing the mud off my wellies.
David @ the still dry end of Swansea Bay
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

You have to move on David. Tose trugs are things of the past. Trug
nowadays is a name gived to something that has come into being since the
wicker trugs and do a totally diferent job. That's language for you, folk
can design a new bit of kit but can't generate a new name for it.

Bill

Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

You have to move on David. Tose trugs are *things of the past. * Trug
nowadays is a name gived to something that has come into being since the
wicker trugs and do a totally diferent job. *That's language for you, folk
can design a new bit of kit but can't generate a new name for it.

Bill-

What do you mean "Move on" Bill?
The Sussex trug is alive and well and still has several makers, and
the "Sussex trug " May have a split willow handle, though many were
made with Hazel instead of willow.
I know that the name is also applied to plastic "Buckets" just as the
name clog is now used por plastic footware as well ad "Dutch" clogs
made from all wood, or the "Northern" clog with leather uppers and
wooden soles.
It's not my fault that people are to lazt to think of a new name for
things.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Racquel Darrian;955351 Wrote:
Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive they
are.
Can you recommend some that you have used that are really strong?

TIA

What do you mean by "trug"? Do you mean a flattish basket about 40cm
long and about 20cm deep with a handle over the top, which is the
original meaning of "trug". Or do you mean a deep softish plastic tub,
usually in a bright colour, with a little handle at each side, which are
now being called "trugs"?

If the latter, yes, it happens to me too. I just buy the cheapest I can
find, and regard them as expendable.

It helps if you always pick them up by both handles simultaneously
rather than yank them up by one.

Are we talking muck buckets here?
If so, calling them trugs seems an upwardly mobile marketing strategy which
may sadly work.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_4_] View Post

Are we talking muck buckets here?
If so, calling them trugs seems an upwardly mobile marketing strategy which
may sadly work.
What's a muck bucket? ;-)

What I'm talking about seem to be also called "tub trugs", and when I did a google image search, the first hit was for an american equestrian site - who was selling them for $32 which is a good deal more than I'd expect to pay!!

Chulmleigh Hardware
__________________
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Firstly Dave, you are not the ony David on this NG and it was another to
which I replied.
The other David only mentioned the wicker trugs implying a certain
singularity of the meaning of the word "trug".

Just for the record, I.'m absolutely positive you are faultless that people
are too lazy to think of a new name

Bill

Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

[...]

For what it's worth, those little mechanically propelled trolleys used by
hospital porters are also called trugs!

Bill

Garden Trugs loldeantimber Marketplace 1 05-02-2014 04:55 PM
Apple trees - a few big ones or a lot of little ones? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 04-04-2009 07:41 PM
Help me choose good ones for this area? Jane Roses 7 15-04-2003 04:44 AM
Project is done! Pics inside.-----Duh, wrong links. Correct ones here. Emil Roses 6 31-03-2003 07:56 PM
I have small ones :-( Dwayne United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 10:08 PM