Old 26-04-2013, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default which greenhouse? Help very much appreciated.

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Hello Martin.
Thank you for replying. I have now found a company called
'Steeltechsheds' they say their greenhouses are built to last a lifetime
and are able to withstand extreme weather conditions. The frame is made
of Steel Hollow section. If you could take a look at their website and
tell me what you think.

Having looked at that site, I wouldn't touch them.
The frame may last a life time what ever that means.
The plastic sheeting may last up to around 10 years but 7 would be more
realistic.It may well discolour with sunlight, and tends to get brittle.
David
Abacus Nurseries.
I can see no ventilation, and you should ideally have 1/8th of the roof
area as vents

I agree. I don't see those poorly supported polycarbonate panels
standing up to coastal weather , either.

Why buy steel (which rusts) when all the other manufacturers use
aluminium, which doesn't.

No explanation of the "lifetime" guarantee, either.. how long has the
company been making GH's?

Janet
Old 27-04-2013, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2013 22:36, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Hello Martin.
Thank you for replying. I have now found a company called
'Steeltechsheds' they say their greenhouses are built to last a lifetime
and are able to withstand extreme weather conditions. The frame is made
of Steel Hollow section. If you could take a look at their website and
tell me what you think.

Having looked at that site, I wouldn't touch them.
The frame may last a life time what ever that means.
The plastic sheeting may last up to around 10 years but 7 would be more
realistic.It may well discolour with sunlight, and tends to get brittle.
David
Abacus Nurseries.

I agree. I am sure some local woodworker/shed maker could make a proper
wooden frame to take standard size twinwall polycarbonate with proper uv
inhibitor in. It will degrade in time but is worth it if you intend to
have a heated greenhouse. Otherwise I would be very sceptical of a
mounting system that does not support the sheets in the middle as well
as at the edges. Plastic unlike glass will flex considerably in the wind
and so a plastic greenhouse needs a stronger frame.

I can see no ventilation, and you should ideally have 1/8th of the roof
area as vents

I agree. I don't see those poorly supported polycarbonate panels
standing up to coastal weather , either.

Ventilation seems to be an optional extra - which is a nonsense. Seems
like these are greenhouses specifically designed for non-gardeners.

Why buy steel (which rusts) when all the other manufacturers use
aluminium, which doesn't.

You could at least in pricinple have a much stronger large steel
structure for the same price as aluminium. And steel is less likely to
cripple under extreme wind loading. I would recommend replacing some of
the struts on the prevailing wind side with thicker material.

My failure was in the winter of 1997

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/garden/gizmos/gizmos.htm

I expected a few panels to fail most winters from flying debris.
We have some pretty strong winter storms in North Yorkshire.

No explanation of the "lifetime" guarantee, either.. how long has the
company been making GH's?

Janet

Not long judging by the lack of ventilation on roof or sides.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 27-04-2013, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/04/2013 22:36, Janet wrote:

I agree. I don't see those poorly supported polycarbonate panels
standing up to coastal weather , either.

Ventilation seems to be an optional extra - which is a nonsense. Seems
like these are greenhouses specifically designed for non-gardeners.

Why buy steel (which rusts) when all the other manufacturers use
aluminium, which doesn't.

You could at least in pricinple have a much stronger large steel
structure for the same price as aluminium. And steel is less likely to
cripple under extreme wind loading. I would recommend replacing some of
the struts on the prevailing wind side with thicker material.

Plus the fact that aluminium corrodes much faster than steel
when it does, and one of the things that it handles very badly
is salt. The reason that most aluminium structures survive
is that they are exposed to air, and aluminium develops a
protective oxide layer. It will corrode very fast if there is
any location/joint/etc. where water can get in but which is
enclosed enough to be effectively anaerobic, especially if the
(whatever) is held together with steel bolts or screws.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.