Old 20-04-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Survey

wrote in message ...

Janet wrote:
Thanks to all of you who have taken time to reply to my post and for
supporting me with this element of my studies.

Very much appreciated.

Well that's a very welcome first!

It's nice, isn't it? Made me inclined to reply after all, where I was
ignoring the original post!
.................................................. ........................

Anybody who knows anything about the OU knows about the hard work which goes
into a degrees My eldest daughter got her BA (Hons) at a conventional Uni,
my youngest daughter graduates as an external student at a conventional Uni
and both have said that 'Mum' has put in far more course work to get her BA
(Hons)through the OU .

Mike

Old 21-04-2013, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

I don't water the garden, only the greenhouse.

Which reminds me, I thought of going on a water divining course this
year. might be fun Won't help get water but if I move i can make sure
I'm not sitting on an underground lagoon!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 21-04-2013, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 14:12:07 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

I don't water the garden, only the greenhouse.

Which reminds me, I thought of going on a water divining course this
year. might be fun Won't help get water but if I move i can make
sure I'm not sitting on an underground lagoon!

I can water divine but haven't learned enough about depth and water
quality to go into it properly. Ray can't do it but felt the divining
rod moved in his hand when I held the opposite fork of it. and we held
hands. (Yes, yes, rude remarks already anticipated!) Matthew, who is
Ray's son, was deeply sceptical but astonished when the rod moved in
his hands. I went on a course, several years ago now, just to see what
we'd be taught and it was fascinating. This particular teacher had
found old settlements on Dartmoor, so it's not only water that can be
found. And the idea that it has to be a willow twig is nonsense. The
best I had - and I've lost it (!) was made out of two bits of packing
plastic stuff, bound together with sticky tape. They flexed nicely and
were quite short so easy to hold at the required angle and tension.
I'd say go for it - at the very least it's an interesting experience.
People who have never experienced it will scoff but when the divining
rod moves in your hands and nearly takes the skin off as you try to
hold it steady, you'll know you've got the knack!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-04-2013, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 14:12:07 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

[...]

I can't divine but when I worked in Hastings my Boss could, he got me to
hold the Hazel twig, and he put his hands on the back of mine, after a
couple of steps the twig was almost ripped out of my hands.
I'm a believer.
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay
Old 21-04-2013, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 14:12:07 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

[...]

David interesting that you are a believer, do you believe in ghosts?

Mike

Old 21-04-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 14:12:07 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

[...]

Can anyone devine or is it a 'gift'?
--
Pete C

Old 21-04-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2013 18:47, Sacha wrote:
People who have never experienced it will scoff but when the divining
rod moves in your hands and nearly takes the skin off as you try to
hold it steady, you'll know you've got the knack!

i expect only very few people are lucky enough ....

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 21-04-2013, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2013 20:27, David Hill wrote:
le of steps the twig was almost ripped out of my hands.

Well companies pay good money for water or metal or several things to be
divined. You don't usually get big business investing money in methods
that don't work

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 21-04-2013, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2013 20:31, 'Mike' wrote:
David interesting that you are a believer, do you believe in ghosts?

well he's always in good spirits when the sun shines.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 22-04-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 14:12:07 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It's the most extraordinary feeling.
I'm always surprised at those who are sceptical but when I grew up it
was absolutely accepted practice for the Guernsey water diviner to be
called in when someone wanted a well dug! Nobody scoffed at it, or
thought it silly because there were so many years of knowledge that it
worked.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-04-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 14:12:07 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 19/04/2013 12:42, kay wrote:

[...]

I really don't know though certainly some people just never seem to get
the reaction. I don't think it's a gift as in some heaven-sent tribute,
no! I imagine that in a few years all will be explained scientifically
in terms of electrical charges or magnetism in the body, or something!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-04-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-21 20:59:52 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 21/04/2013 18:47, Sacha wrote:
People who have never experienced it will scoff but when the divining
rod moves in your hands and nearly takes the skin off as you try to
hold it steady, you'll know you've got the knack!

i expect only very few people are lucky enough ....

Give it a try, Janet. You'll be fascinated!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-04-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 18, 8:41*pm, SK2013 wrote:
Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do
with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at
solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if
people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) * * *Small * * * * * b) Medium * * * * * * * c) Large

Medium

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) * * *“I only use water from a tap”
b) * * *“I collect rainwater in a water butt”
c) * * *“I recycle grey water”*
d) * * *Other, please specify

I use water from the tap mostly
*For example waste water from the bathroom/kitchen that is relatively
clean

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) * * *Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
b) * * *Hosepipe and sprinkler (using an inside/outside tap)
c) * * *Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
d) * * *Hosepipe and electric pump (using an inside/outside tap)
e) * * *Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)
f) * * *Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) * * *Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)
h) * * *Other, please specify

a,b,c,f

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

It has stopped raining for long enough

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:
a) * * *Time: “I need to water as quickly as possible, I don’t have the time
to continuously keep filling the watering can”
b) * * *Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I conserve
water”
c) * * *Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”
d) * * *Weight: “I don’t like carrying the watering can up and down”
e) * * *Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and
will last”
f) * * *Aesthetics: “I want the solution to look good”
g) * * *Pressu “I need to ensure there is adequate pressure to
successfully water my garden”
h) * * *Range: “I need to be able to water my garden at long range without
losing pressure”.

a,b,c,d,e,g,h
Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

Drought

--
SK2013

hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mchiper Lawns 0 01-09-2003 11:22 PM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mone [email protected] Lawns 0 24-08-2003 11:43 AM
lighting survey: 36" bulbs rm-rf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:14 AM
Free Survey? 1962 haircut Lawns 1 17-03-2003 08:32 PM
Birdwatch survey this weekend HaaRoy United Kingdom 9 23-01-2003 02:51 PM