Old 18-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered User

Default Water Survey

Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) Small b) Medium c) Large

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) “I only use water from a tap”
b) “I collect rainwater in a water butt”
c) “I recycle grey water”*
d) Other, please specify
*For example waste water from the bathroom/kitchen that is relatively clean

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
b) Hosepipe and sprinkler (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
d) Hosepipe and electric pump (using an inside/outside tap)
e) Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)
h) Other, please specify

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what factors make you revert back to tap water?

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are applicable below:
a) Time: “I need to water as quickly as possible, I don’t have the time to continuously keep filling the watering can”
b) Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I conserve water”
c) Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”
d) Weight: “I don’t like carrying the watering can up and down”
e) Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and will last”
f) Aesthetics: “I want the solution to look good”
g) Pressu “I need to ensure there is adequate pressure to successfully water my garden”
h) Range: “I need to be able to water my garden at long range without losing pressure”.

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the barriers that stop you?
Old 18-04-2013, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , SK2013.be60410
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...
my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
c) Large

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) ?I use water from a tap?
b) ?I collect rainwater in a water butt?

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:

a) Hosepipe (using an /outside tap)
f) Watering can (filled using an outside tap)

g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

distance from tap

?

Old 18-04-2013, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2013 20:41, SK2013 wrote:
Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do
with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at
solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if
people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) Small b) Medium c) Large

b) Medium

[...]

Butts empty from lack of rain.

[...]

e) 1 c) 2 b) 3

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

HTH

--

Jeff
Old 18-04-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SK2013" wrote in message

Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do
with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at
solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if
people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) Small b) Medium c) Large

Large

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) "I only use water from a tap"
b) "I collect rainwater in a water butt"
c) "I recycle grey water"*
d) Other, please specify

I don't water the garden

*For example waste water from the bathroom/kitchen that is relatively
clean

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
b) Hosepipe and sprinkler (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
d) Hosepipe and electric pump (using an inside/outside tap)
e) Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)
h) Other, please specify

I don't water the garden

Rest of questions not relevant

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 19-04-2013, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

SK2013 wrote:

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?

a) Small

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:

a) “I only use water from a tap”

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:

a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

n/a

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:

b) Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I
conserve water”
e) Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let
me down and will last”

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

The locations of existing rainwater downpipes do not permit
connection to storage butts. More serious underground storage
solutions would be uneconomic to install. Gray water is
internally routed to foul soil stack.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 19-04-2013, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SK2013" wrote in message ...

Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do
with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at
solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if
people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) Small b) Medium c) Large

Relative to what?

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) “I only use water from a tap”
b) “I collect rainwater in a water butt”
c) “I recycle grey water”*
d) Other, please specify
*For example waste water from the bathroom/kitchen that is relatively
clean

b) 7 water butts

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
b) Hosepipe and sprinkler (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
d) Hosepipe and electric pump (using an inside/outside tap)
e) Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)
h) Other, please specify

g) 5 linked in one instance to one tap. Others stand alone units

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

IF we don't get the rain to keep them in use

[...]

c)

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

Good luck with your studies with the OU. My wife's graduation is in June
...... BA (Hons) and my youngest daughter graduates at Portsmouth University
later.

Mike

--
SK2013

Old 19-04-2013, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SK2013" wrote

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?

a) Small

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:

b) “I collect rainwater in a water butt”

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:

a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap) *Only when the water butt runs
out.

c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap) * Leaky pipe.

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

When it runs low because I have some plants that demand rain water so have
to prioritise those.

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:

b) Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I conserve
water”
c) Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”

e) Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and
will last”

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 19-04-2013, 12:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2013 View Post
Good Evening,
Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
b) Medium

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please indicate which of the following statements apply:

b) “I collect rainwater in a water butt”

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods that apply:
I don't water the garden, only the greenhouse. I dip a watering can into the rainwater butt, which is the quickest way of filling it, and the can allows me to water plants individually according to their needs. The butts are close to the greenhouse door, so is convenient, and is hidden from view by large leylandis. Required attributes are - security of supply, quick operation, ability to vary water delivery from plant to plant, good looks.
__________________
Old 19-04-2013, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:41:12 +0000, SK2013
wrote:

Good Evening,

I am currently studying design with the Open University and could do
with some help please. A keen gardener myself I am interested to look at
solutions for watering the garden. I would really appreciate it if
people could respond to the questions below to help me with my project.

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) Small

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:

I have no downpipe so no water butt.
c) “I recycle grey water. I have a long hose and syphon out bathwater in hot weather, into buckets and cans.

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)

f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

When stored rainwater is used up!

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:

b) Sustainability: “ I want to ensure that where possible I conserve
water”
c) Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”
d) Weight: “I don’t like carrying the watering can up and down”
e) Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and
will last”
f) Aesthetics: “I want the solution to look good”
g) Pressu “I need to ensure there is adequate pressure to
successfully water my garden”

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

My house is mid-terrace and has no downpipe and it's not easy to fit
one and a water butt.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-04-2013, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2013 20:41, SK2013 wrote:
Good Evening,

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
c) Large

Although you should perhaps ask for size - about 1/3 acre.

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) “I only use water from a tap”
b) “I collect rainwater in a water butt”

a + b

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
e) Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)

a, c, e, f, g
(only the pump isn't solar powered it is a solar pump but on a 12v lead
acid battery and works much better that way) And it is hozelock dripline
rather than a hosepipe which is too imprecise.

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/garden/water/fountain.htm
(bottom half of page)

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

Running out of rainwater and needing to keep some back for lime
intolerant orchids.

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:

c) Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”
e) Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and
will last”

c, e in that order

You have missed out controllability. I want to get the right amount of
water to the right places.
Mosquito larvae are a PITA for jamming filters from a water butt.

I have run my greenhouse on automatic when on holiday and had the
amusement of coming back to find desert plants under water. They
fortunately didn't mind flash floods do happen in deserts.

I use hozelock irrigation attached to the battery pump rigged to do
about 15-30 minutes morning and evening.

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

I already do, but don't really have enough storage capacity at 400L.
My previous greenhouse had nearly 2000L and that never ran dry.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 19-04-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message ...

On 18/04/2013 20:41, SK2013 wrote:
Good Evening,

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
c) Large

Although you should perhaps ask for size - about 1/3 acre.

My point in my posting, ............ ""How long is a piece of string?""

.................................................. ......

Old 20-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered User

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to reply to my post and for supporting me with this element of my studies.

Very much appreciated.

Stuart
Old 20-04-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , SK2013.be7fbc6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to reply to my post and for
supporting me with this element of my studies.

Very much appreciated.

Stuart

Well that's a very welcome first!

Janet

Old 20-04-2013, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Thanks to all of you who have taken time to reply to my post and for
supporting me with this element of my studies.

Very much appreciated.

Well that's a very welcome first!

It's nice, isn't it? Made me inclined to reply after all, where I was
ignoring the original post!
Old 20-04-2013, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

SK2013 wrote:
Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
a) Small b) Medium c) Large

b. medium (on the small side of medium)

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) ?I only use water from a tap?
b) ?I collect rainwater in a water butt?
c) ?I recycle grey water?*

I don't /only/ use tap water, but we use rainwater, bathwater and tap
water.

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)

Sometimes we water from hosepipe, mostly if we're using the hose it is
to fill the water butt. There are leaky-pipe things that run from the
mains on the flower beds, set on a timer over summer. And the greenhouse
has a drippy irrigation system.

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

Lack of rainwater.

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:
a) Time: ?I need to water as quickly as possible, I don?t have the time
to continuously keep filling the watering can?
b) Sustainability: ? I want to ensure that where possible I conserve
water?

Definitely these two.

Then I'm torn between these two.

c) Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water?
h) Range: ?I need to be able to water my garden at long range without
losing pressure?.

Probably a/b/c

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

n/a

lighting survey: 36" bulbs rm-rf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
Free Survey? 1962 haircut Lawns 1 17-03-2003 07:32 PM
Birdwatch survey this weekend HaaRoy United Kingdom 9 23-01-2003 01:51 PM