Old 20-04-2013, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had given
up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is there and I'm
glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Baz
Old 20-04-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had given
up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is there and I'm
glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Ours (well, Nick's) is probably the same age as yours. I was also a
bit worried it wasn't showing any sign of life, but last weekend I
had a look and it seems to be getting buds.
Old 21-04-2013, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:41:24 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:

There was a thread a while ago about wintering the plant.
My second of the 2 that I have tried is starting to show life. I had given
up on it. I don't expect any fruit for years yet, but it is there and I'm
glad that I left it and not ditched it, as I was going to do.

Does anyone get fruit from theirs? I would be interested to know.

Baz

Mine was cut down by frost shortly after planting, but is now sprouting afresh.

NT
Old 22-04-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, April 22, 2013 11:54:59 AM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
wrote in

:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:41:24 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:

Mine was cut down by frost shortly after planting, but is now

sprouting afresh.

Nice one! It should, I hope, thrive now it has got warmer.

Good luck with it
Baz

Ta. The main threat now is cats. Some ignore it, some won't leave it alone. So its caged, but I know how determined cats are!

NT

Old 23-04-2013, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
On the topic of Kiwi fruit.
How should they be pruned?

I'm interested in hearing any experience of that, too. I've had Jenny
for a good while but never seen a flower even though it puts on a lot of
vine and attractive leaf in a season and looks very healthy. South-ish
westish location (north Wiltshire near Gloucester and Oxford boundaries)

Had it in a pot for a couple of years, but it got weevilled - so took it
out, washed it all off and put it in the ground - so it now grows up a
SouthSouth west house wall. It is well drained but also gets plenty of
moisture - its a gable wall with no overhang, and the run off from the
hill part of the garden is channeled in a soakaway that it is adjacent
to.

It has been in the ground for 6 years now - I'd guess the plant itself
is probably 9 or 10 years old. It gets fed during the season with a
fruit/flower fertilizer (as opposed to a high nitrogen one).

I've tried no specific pruning regime so far - other than cutting back
the really long new growth at the end of the season.

--
regards andyw

creeping jenny?? sophie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-06-2004 03:22 PM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 08:07 PM
Caterpillar on creeping Jenny Pickle United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 11:21 PM
Creeping Jenny planting depth Gail Futoran Ponds 5 26-05-2003 06:32 PM
Creeping jenny question jammer Gardening 3 07-03-2003 09:44 PM