Old 15-04-2014, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some very sad news

I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died
today in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for
Christmas. He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had
been very up and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a
little more optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to
Torquay but sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by
us and all who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to
help with his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very
sad tonight and I know many others will feel the same.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-04-2014, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died today in
Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for Christmas. He'd been
ill in hospital since Christmas and things had been very up and down all
this time. Lately, things were looking a little more optimistic and he
really believed he'd be coming back to Torquay but sadly, that was not to
be. He will be very much missed by us and all who knew him, as a kind and
generous friend, always ready to help with his time and enormous botanical
expertise. We're feeling very sad tonight and I know many others will feel
the same.

Oh my God that is dreadful news. Whilst we haven't seen him on here as much
as he used to post I had corresponded with him a few times and we had
exchanged some plants in the past. At least he was with his family.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-04-2014, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-15 17:09:04 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died
today in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for
Christmas. He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had
been very up and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a
little more optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to
Torquay but sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by
us and all who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to
help with his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very
sad tonight and I know many others will feel the same.

Oh my God that is dreadful news. Whilst we haven't seen him on here as
much as he used to post I had corresponded with him a few times and we
had exchanged some plants in the past. At least he was with his family.

I hope they were with him, Bob but I don't know. He'd had several 'near
misses' over these last few months. The sad irony is that just as I was
taking the call that told me this horrible news, Ray was outside,
taking delivery of all the plants from David's garden which we'd said
we'd look after for him until he was able to return. The friends of his
delivering them still don't know of his death because they'd left by
the time Ray told me they'd been and gone.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-04-2014, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

Oh how awful, they will have such a shock. And what does Ray do with Dave's
plants now? Just gets worse.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-04-2014, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sacha wrote:
I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died
today in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for
Christmas. He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had
been very up and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a
little more optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to
Torquay but sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by
us and all who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to
help with his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very
sad tonight and I know many others will feel the same.

That's sad.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-04-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-15 17:09:04 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

As you said Sacha, David will be greatly missed.
Though I never meet him, I like so many others dad good advice from him
on several occasions.
It's good that he had arranged for his plants to come to you, and were
not left to waste away, I'm sure he wanted them to be in safe hands.
He will be sorely missed
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 15-04-2014, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:59:06 +0100, sacha wrote:

I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died
today in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for
Christmas. He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had
been very up and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a
little more optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to
Torquay but sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by
us and all who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to
help with his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very
sad tonight and I know many others will feel the same.

Sad news indeed. I was always very grateful for his advice concerning
the more exotic species that are just about viable here in south
Devon.
--
rbel
Old 15-04-2014, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-15 18:02:21 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

We'll wait to see if he made any requests or decisions and then, if
not, if any of his friends or family want them, we'll arrange for them
to get them. Some are not in a good state because they haven't been
looked after since Christmas.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-04-2014, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:59:06 +0100, sacha wrote:

I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died today

Very sorry to hear about David. A valued member of our community.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 16-04-2014, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/04/2014 17:59, sacha wrote:
I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died today
in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for Christmas.
He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had been very up
and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a little more
optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to Torquay but
sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by us and all
who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to help with
his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very sad
tonight and I know many others will feel the same.

Oh that's very sad, Sacha. Although I didn't know him personally, it
was impossible not to recognise that he was a significant and very
knowledgeable member of urg, always willing to help. His family and
friends have my sympathy.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-04-2014, 09:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
[...]

Yes, sad news. I always valued his posts, and remember meeting him at an early urgmeet.
__________________
Old 17-04-2014, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:59:06 PM UTC+1, sacha wrote:
I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died

today in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for

Christmas. He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had

been very up and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a

little more optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to

Torquay but sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by

us and all who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to

help with his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very

sad tonight and I know many others will feel the same.

--

Sacha

www.hillhousenursery.com

South Devon

Sad news indeed, he will be missed.

Jenny
Old 25-04-2014, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 17:59:06 UTC+1, sacha wrote:
I'm sorry to have to tell his friends on urg that David Poole died

today in Birmingham where he had gone to be with his family for

Christmas. He'd been ill in hospital since Christmas and things had

been very up and down all this time. Lately, things were looking a

little more optimistic and he really believed he'd be coming back to

Torquay but sadly, that was not to be. He will be very much missed by

us and all who knew him, as a kind and generous friend, always ready to

help with his time and enormous botanical expertise. We're feeling very

sad tonight and I know many others will feel the same.

--

Sacha

www.hillhousenursery.com

South Devon

Shocked and upset, he was a brilliant man, over the years I knew him, yes, I did as he let me into his gardening life. Rest in Peace Dear Man, you will be missed. xxx
Old 26-04-2014, 11:16 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith, Massif Central France. View Post
On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 17:59:06 UTC+1, sacha wrote:[color=blue][i]

Shocked and upset, he was a brilliant man, over the years I knew him, yes, I did as he let me into his gardening life. Rest in Peace Dear Man, you will be missed. xxx
It came back to me this morning, the best bit of advice I remember from David on urg "I like to well and truly kill a plant three times before giving up on it".

And Sacha will like to be reminded that when she took the urglers around Hill House, David looked in to one of the greenhouses and said to me :Now, that's what a greenhouse *should* look like!"
__________________
Old 26-04-2014, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-26 09:16:48 +0000, kay said:
[color=blue][i]
Judith, Massif Central France.;1001218 Wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 17:59:06 UTC+1, sacha wrote:

Shocked and upset, he was a brilliant man, over the years I knew him,
yes, I did as he let me into his gardening life. Rest in Peace Dear
Man, you will be missed. xxx

It came back to me this morning, the best bit of advice I remember from
David on urg "I like to well and truly kill a plant three times before
giving up on it".

And Sacha will like to be reminded that when she took the urglers around
Hill House, David looked in to one of the greenhouses and said to me
:Now, that's what a greenhouse *should* look like!"

I don't remember him saying that but perhaps I wasn't with you at that
time. He did love it here and he was certainly both a great admirer of
Ray and Matthew's work here and at times, a great help with plant
naming and advice. He made us laugh when we showed him something that
had defeated all of us, several visitors and 'the books'. David just
looked at it and said "Oh that's Ruspolia hypocrateriformis', as if he
was saying 'that's a dandelion'. He was utterly convinced - to the fury
of some Passiflora experts - that Ray has a so-called 'lost Passiflora'
and both he and Ray were and are indifferent to those who said
otherwise. Ray had been given it under that name 30 years ago, David
confirmed it and that was the end of the matter as far as Ray was
concerned! ;-) Ray has often said he has never met anyone with
David's astonishingly encylopaedic knowledge and his powers of recall
when it came to plants. We hadn't seen him for several months because
he kept having one illness after another (he had fibrosis, with a
deep-seated underlying lung infection as it turned out) and the poor
man could walk only a few steps without stopping to gasp for breath. We
never did get that final wander round the garden with him. His funeral
is to be on 6th May for family only but I know no more than that at
present. I do know that he's hugely missed by many people in the
horticultural world, both amateur and professional and the very many
friends he had in Torquay.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com