Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ash trees

We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.
--

Sacha

What's the saying about the Oak and the Ash?

Oak before Ash in for a splash
Ash before Oak in for a soak

I have been saying all along we are in for a scorcher of a Summer. You have
confirmed it. Thank you.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 09-05-2014, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 May 2014 07:04:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that?

The ash around here are always at least a couple of weeks behind
everything else, rowan, birch, beech, oak, sycamore, etc. From a
distance the ash buds here are still tightly closed but they ought to
bursting soon.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-09 07:23:03 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Fri, 9 May 2014 07:04:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that?

The ash around here are always at least a couple of weeks behind
everything else, rowan, birch, beech, oak, sycamore, etc. From a
distance the ash buds here are still tightly closed but they ought to
bursting soon.

This year there seems to us to be a longer gap than normal between the
two leafing up. That said, it's now raining here in a half-hearted sort
of way! Everything else is coming out and the lanes look magical -
they're full of campion, bluebells, stitchwort, Queen Ann's lace and
ferns. The wet winter and mild start to the year has done them a lot of
favours!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2014 07:04, Sacha wrote:
We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.

Ash is always a bit late, but this year even more so. Ours is pretty
well in leaf at the top, but not much lower down. Our neighbour's beech
is almost in full leaf.

--

Jeff

Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-09 10:19:13 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 09/05/2014 07:04, Sacha wrote:
We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.

Ash is always a bit late, but this year even more so. Ours is pretty
well in leaf at the top, but not much lower down. Our neighbour's
beech is almost in full leaf.

Yes beeches are well out, both green and copper. I think they're my
favourite among all trees. And yesterday at Torbay Hospital we saw a
Paulownia flowering. They've got some interesting planting in parts of
that hospital's grounds but I wonder how many people notice it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-09 10:19:13 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

Ash is always a bit late, but this year even more so. Ours is pretty
well in leaf at the top, but not much lower down. Our neighbour's
beech is almost in full leaf.

Yes beeches are well out, both green and copper. I think they're my
favourite among all trees. And yesterday at Torbay Hospital we saw a
Paulownia flowering. They've got some interesting planting in parts of
that hospital's grounds but I wonder how many people notice it!

I think you really need at least two Paulownias. One is left to its own
devices, to grow into a very attractive flowering tree. The other needs
to be stooled regularly and allowed to grow one stem with enormous
leaves. Then all you have to do is convince garden visitors that they
are identical trees!

--

Jeff
Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-09 10:19:13 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

Ash is always a bit late, but this year even more so. Ours is pretty
well in leaf at the top, but not much lower down. Our neighbour's
beech is almost in full leaf.

Yes beeches are well out, both green and copper. I think they're my
favourite among all trees. And yesterday at Torbay Hospital we saw a
Paulownia flowering. They've got some interesting planting in parts of
that hospital's grounds but I wonder how many people notice it!

I think you really need at least two Paulownias. One is left to its
own devices, to grow into a very attractive flowering tree. The other
needs to be stooled regularly and allowed to grow one stem with
enormous leaves. Then all you have to do is convince garden visitors
that they are identical trees!

What a good idea!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ..

Jeff Layman said:

Sacha wrote:
We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.

Ash is always a bit late, but this year even more so. Ours is pretty
well in leaf at the top, but not much lower down. Our neighbour's beech
is almost in full leaf.

Yes beeches are well out, both green and copper. I think they're my
favourite among all trees. And yesterday at Torbay Hospital we saw a
Paulownia flowering. They've got some interesting planting in parts of that
hospital's grounds but I wonder how many people notice it!

There is a Paulownia flowering along Parvis Road, Byfleet, the A 245, and I
bet most don't notice it. Someone on the Council knows their trees to plant
it as a street tree, well done to them.
I planted three seedlings on our allotment with the idea of transplanting
them as trees when the got big enough but the roots are so strong and robust
I simply cannot dig them out successfully. Tried last year to remove them
completely, chop them out, but they have come up again.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-09 16:16:18 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..

Jeff Layman said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Ray was told by 'someone' (he can't recall who) that they're grown as
street trees in Moscow! We imagine they're grown for the leaves, not
the flowers but don't actually know. Does anyone?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-05-2014, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2014 07:04, Sacha wrote:
We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.

Ours are both out, but I think the ash is ahead.

Won't be for long though. Chalara. If it shows symptoms again (we only
bought the house last autumn) I think it'll have to go.

Andy
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 May 2014 20:18:20 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

Ours are both out, but I think the ash is ahead.

Won't be for long though. Chalara. If it shows symptoms again (we only
bought the house last autumn) I think it'll have to go.

How big an Ash tree? Older ones seem able to fight and win. It's
young trees that it does for. IMHO the disease is going to sweep the
country no matter what we do so leaving old established trees that
may well survive and become immune(?) means that the country won't
become devoid of Ash trees.

Looked at some of our Ashes the other day, still very much tightly
closed buds.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-11 19:18:20 +0000, Vir Campestris said:

On 09/05/2014 07:04, Sacha wrote:
We were remarking yesterday afternoon, on a drive back from Torquay to
home, that all the ash trees we saw are very late this year. Has anyone
else noticed that? They seem to be only just breaking, while the oaks
are well in leaf.

Ours are both out, but I think the ash is ahead.

Won't be for long though. Chalara. If it shows symptoms again (we only
bought the house last autumn) I think it'll have to go.

Andy

That's very bad luck. The tree in front of my study window is rapidly
increasing in leafing but it's a long way off ready. The sycamore
beside it is in full leaf and so is everything except the mulberry.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-05-2014, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2014 22:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:
How big an Ash tree? Older ones seem able to fight and win. It's
young trees that it does for. IMHO the disease is going to sweep the
country no matter what we do so leaving old established trees that
may well survive and become immune(?) means that the country won't
become devoid of Ash trees.

About 20ft tall. It's also been incredibly badly pruned (unlike the rest
of the garden that hasn't been pruned at all) so it has 2 main stems. I
suppose it might make someone a futtock one day

Andy

Which came first, the Green Ash or the White Ash species Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 21 26-10-2004 04:48 AM
grafting white-ash onto green-ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 28-06-2004 07:38 AM
ash trees Harriet Nation Gardening 0 18-05-2004 12:03 AM
telling apart green ash from white ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 6 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Catching Bears, was Is fire ash any good for soil ? ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 0 11-12-2002 03:19 AM