Old 15-05-2014, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poor judgment, BBC

On 2014-05-14 02:06:38 +0000, FrankB said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
As for the treatment of Alan Titchmarsh, words just fail me. I'm at a
loss to understand how the BBC would - effectively - ditch a man who
has spent his entire life in horticulture and worked hard and well for
the BBC and humiliate him as they have. It beggars belief and I suspect
the really knowledgeable in horticulture will feel the same. I cannot
count the number of people we know who have stopped watching Gardener's
World and who may well give up on the BBC presentation of Chelsea for
all the same reasons. What a mess! On top of that, Monty Don's
'sidekick' knows little about gardening but her parents have a garden
they open to the public. That being the case, I'm putting forward the
names of all 3 of my children for next year's coverage. They know
bugger all about gardening but not only do their olds have a garden,
one of them owns a Nursery and this garden is open to the public every
day 50 weeks of the year! They'd be a shoo-in on that basis!
--

To be frank (I am) I've never been a fan of AT. I've always found him
patronising and corny. I much prefer Monty Don as a tv gardening

The idea of having a woman presenter is obviously to 'sex up' the
image of
the Chelsea presentation and appeal more to the younger viewer. Sad, but
that's what tv media is much about nowadays.

The matter of which presenter one prefers is very much up to the
individual but this isn't really about that. It's about the BBC's
handling of the situation. They've recently made a big blunder over a
Radio Devon presenter of 32 years' standing and this sort of treatment
of respected figures does the Beeb no favours at all.

No one seems to have taken into account AT having sold his image to B&Q,
and after having him plastered over everything in their stores I'm not
surprised that "Auntie has dropped him.
Whilst Chelsea is a feast of flowers it's also the first event in the
London "Season" so is the place to be seen by many who go there. They
are more interested in knowing if the cameras caught them at the show
than in a bunch of plants and a load of "Hicks from the sticks" who are
crowding up the place.
I speak as one who has been to Chelsea over 25 times and who has also
exhibited there in the days when it was a show for nurserymen to display
their skills rather than big business to employ "names" to design and
build them a garden at almost any cost.
The BBC would show 3 programmes from the show and no one cared who
presented it as long as they got to see the plants.
How about there being a competition each year where say 10 contestants a
week present a 5 minute presentation on a garden of their choice, the
viewers vote and the top 2 from each week go on to a series of semi
finals then to a final where the winner gets to present Chelsea show on
the Beeb.
David@ a very sunny side of Swansea bay for 2 days now.
Old 16-05-2014, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

My Humax PVR finds them even when they are rescheduled, as long as the
rescheduling appears on the EPD.

Sadly, Humax cannot do both padding and Accurate Recording. Since
AR data is not always available, I opt for padding.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 May 2014 13:04:51 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 15 May 2014 07:56:29 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The Sunday times vary a bit, but it is usually 9:30, just after
the GW repeat.

You are right! AFAIR it was 8am when I looked a few weeks ago.

Sporting coverage and other events often cause a shuffle, so I
have to check the PVR setting every week.

My Humax PVR finds them even when they are rescheduled, as long as the
rescheduling appears on the EPD.

Don't understand PVR and EPD, is it foreignspeak? As far as I know, Humax
make soil sterilisers. Does this make it on topic?

Ardmhor

Old 16-05-2014, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-15 21:25:41 +0000, David Hill said:
snip

No one seems to have taken into account AT having sold his image to
B&Q, and after having him plastered over everything in their stores I'm
not surprised that "Auntie has dropped him.

But they didn't drop him, David. If they had the B&Q 'excuse' might
have been more understandable. What they asked him to do was play
second fiddle when he had been first fiddle for years! It was a gross
humiliation and a dreadful way to treat a popular and professional
anchor man for a garden programme.

Whilst Chelsea is a feast of flowers it's also the first event in the
London "Season" so is the place to be seen by many who go there. They
are more interested in knowing if the cameras caught them at the show
than in a bunch of plants and a load of "Hicks from the sticks" who are
crowding up the place.
I speak as one who has been to Chelsea over 25 times and who has also
exhibited there in the days when it was a show for nurserymen to
display their skills rather than big business to employ "names" to
design and build them a garden at almost any cost.

I wish it would go back to the days when it was about the plants and
with less emphasis on the designer gardens. The first time I went to
Chelsea was about 40 years ago and it was an absolute revelation to see
all those wonderful plants exhibited in the old marquee. Now, all the
fuss seems to be about gardens with rusting metal pillars, slabs of
concrete and gardens you need a lift to get into. Entertaining,
perhaps but little to do with the gardening most people aspire to. In
that respect, it's a bit like haute couture fashion. Little seen on the
catwalk is ever likely to be seen on the pavement but it shows the
skill and imagination of the designer.

The BBC would show 3 programmes from the show and no one cared who
presented it as long as they got to see the plants.
How about there being a competition each year where say 10 contestants
a week present a 5 minute presentation on a garden of their choice, the
viewers vote and the top 2 from each week go on to a series of semi
finals then to a final where the winner gets to present Chelsea show on
the Beeb.
David@ a very sunny side of Swansea bay for 2 days now.

How about a tv series where a variety of NGS gardens is visited by a
knowledgeable plantsman and horticulturist each week, who talks to the
owners and to some of the visitors to the garden? Hundreds and
hundreds of gardens open every year and yet this is entirely overlooked
as one of the mainstays of interest in gardening at a level anyone can
hope to reach. Huge gardens, middling gardens, tiny gardens all open
for the NGS and it's a sort of distillation of British gardening.
Someone is missing a trick not making an annual series out of that!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-05-2014, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-15 21:25:41 +0000, David Hill said:
snip

[...]

I seem to remember a series that ran for a few years where it featured
gardens wishing to open under the NGS and the presenter helped the
owners prepare the garden and you saw the assessment and then if
accepted the open day as well, an interesting series.
I believe it was called Open Gardens

Old 16-05-2014, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-16 16:53:55 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 16 May 2014 13:05:01 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I seem to remember a series that ran for a few years where it featured
gardens wishing to open under the NGS and the presenter helped the
owners prepare the garden and you saw the assessment and then if
accepted the open day as well, an interesting series.
I believe it was called Open Gardens

I have vague recollections of that too.

The BBC have to move away from making every programme a competition.

I was thinking of a format in which the presenter merely presented -
not that awful fakery thing of them 'helping' to mow a hay meadow or
calve a cow or plant a tree. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-05-2014, 04:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I seem to remember a series that ran for a few years where it featured
gardens wishing to open under the NGS and the presenter helped the
owners prepare the garden and you saw the assessment and then if
accepted the open day as well, an interesting series.
I believe it was called Open Gardens

I have vague recollections of that too.

Wasn't that presented by Carol Klein? Yes, I enjoyed that series too. It
was interesting to see how the various NGS officials (a rather
formidable bunch) assessed the various gardens.

The BBC have to move away from making every programme a competition.

Hear, hear, to that part. Yes, exactly what we keep saying, chez nous.

Don't agree with previous comments up-thread about Monty on GW and the
Chelsea programmes though. Some of us enjoy his style of presenting the
programme and have no beef about whether or not he's got paper
qualifications or had recognized training in horticulture. Neither do
lots of other very experienced, well known gardeners and growers but
they've learned by years of experience and hands-on growing and so has he.

I for one don't particularly like Alan Titchmarsh as a presenter and am
glad he's not fronting Chelsea coverage this time. He may well have
loads of impeccable gardening credentials but for me he comes across as
far too smarmy and self satisfied with all that name-dropping,
pretentious literary quoting and general air of smugness.

But another vote here for Beechgrove which I like to record for later
watching. It's a completely different style and format from GW which is
all to the good and it's been even better since Chris Beardshaw joined.
The more coverage gardens and gardening gets on the old box, the better
I like it.

--
Sue

Old 19-05-2014, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2014 18:10, sacha wrote:

not
that awful fakery thing of them 'helping' to mow a hay meadow or calve a
cow or plant a tree. ;-)

Very impressive when they use a chainsaw for the calving though

--
regards andy
Old 19-05-2014, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/05/2014 08:26, News wrote:
On 16/05/2014 18:10, sacha wrote:

not
that awful fakery thing of them 'helping' to mow a hay meadow or calve a
cow or plant a tree. ;-)

Very impressive when they use a chainsaw for the calving though

--
regards andy

That must be a modern version of a calving knife
Old 19-05-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

On 19/05/2014 08:26, News wrote:
On 16/05/2014 18:10, sacha wrote:

not
that awful fakery thing of them 'helping' to mow a hay meadow or calve a
cow or plant a tree. ;-)

Very impressive when they use a chainsaw for the calving though

--
regards andy

That must be a modern version of a calving knife

For Roast Beef?

Mike
www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 19-05-2014, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

News wrote:

On 16/05/2014 18:10, sacha wrote:

not
that awful fakery thing of them 'helping' to mow a hay meadow or calve a
cow or plant a tree. ;-)

Very impressive when they use a chainsaw for the calving though

Been watching Damien Hirst?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

{judgment} Let's approach throughout the confidential committees, but don't punish the architectural seconds. Atiqullah AL-Shehhi Ponds 0 24-09-2007 09:43 AM
BBC report Rhiannon S United Kingdom 1 28-09-2003 01:41 AM
FS: BBC Gardeners' World Magazines Vicky Larmour United Kingdom 0 02-01-2003 03:34 PM
BBC Gardener of the Year K United Kingdom 4 23-12-2002 05:27 PM
BBC Gardeners world mag.Novemer issue Michael Berridge United Kingdom 1 27-10-2002 05:05 PM