Old 14-05-2014, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pyracantha problem

I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?
--
Jim S
Old 14-05-2014, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

A picture is worth a thousand words here. Choices would be aphid on the
underside of the leaves but your mention of black bark makes me think
more of fireblight which is presently zapping my brother in laws hedge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-05-2014, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message ...

I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?
--
Jim S

Jim, my daughter and son in law had the same problem with the 2 bushes which
formed an arch over their front door. They were advised to cut out all of
the dead stuff as it appeared. That was about 3 years ago and they are now
putting on healthy growth. They did cut them back to about 4 foot high and
are now training them back up over the door. I have a picture somewhere of
the problem and posted the link here at the time and urglers advised us.

It worked. Cut out the infected leaves and branches as they appear

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 14-05-2014, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 May 2014 21:27:02 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

"Jim S" wrote in message ...

I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

Hi Mike
Your rely wont be here as it was written with in the sig and is deleted by
some newsreaders ie mine
However I think my firethorn is past pruning as the problem goes to the
bottom - mind you it has been kept pruned to 3 feet high.
--
Jim S
Old 15-05-2014, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 May 2014 21:25:56 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

A picture is worth a thousand words here. Choices would be aphid on the
underside of the leaves but your mention of black bark makes me think
more of fireblight which is presently zapping my brother in laws hedge.

Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ik6fmpy61...um0a7yZcuyXHpa
--
Jim S

Old 15-05-2014, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

A picture is worth a thousand words here. Choices would be aphid on the
underside of the leaves but your mention of black bark makes me think
more of fireblight which is presently zapping my brother in laws hedge.

Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ik6fmpy61...um0a7yZcuyXHpa

Hard to tell from those pictures. Any chance of some taken in the dry
and a wider view and a macro close up of the curled leaves ?

My instinct is that it is sap sucking pest damage to the tender young
new leaves curling them up but I can't see any obvious signs of pest.

Fireblight leaves things looking like they have been scorched with a
blow torch.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-05-2014, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
[...]

Try same site again - new ones have pyracantha prefix.
I see no signs of pest or fungal damage either.
--
Jim S
Old 15-05-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
[...]

The last one looks like it could be fireblight but the rest look pretty
nondescript. Try spraying with a foliar feed and cross fingers.

Either it will grow out and get going or expire from whatever afflicts
it. It must be under severe stress since it should be covered in flowers
about to open at the moment (unless you pruned it badly).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-05-2014, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?pID=160&cID=250

Old 18-05-2014, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 May 2014 14:12:48 +0100, FrankB wrote:

"Jim S" wrote in message
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?pID=160&cID=250

Thanks.
I'm still not convinced that's what I have. There are not a lot of dead
leaved around, just the curled, pale green ones and dead blossoms.
--
Jim S

Old 19-05-2014, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2014 18:20, Jim S wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2014 14:12:48 +0100, FrankB wrote:

Thanks.
I'm still not convinced that's what I have. There are not a lot of dead
leaved around, just the curled, pale green ones and dead blossoms.

Dead blossoms? I'm in the south and my pyracantha is still in tight bud!
Are you saying that yours has flowered?

--

Jeff
Old 19-05-2014, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 May 2014 09:19:23 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 18/05/2014 18:20, Jim S wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2014 14:12:48 +0100, FrankB wrote:

Thanks.
I'm still not convinced that's what I have. There are not a lot of dead
leaved around, just the curled, pale green ones and dead blossoms.

Dead blossoms? I'm in the south and my pyracantha is still in tight bud!
Are you saying that yours has flowered?

OK - browned buds then.
--
Jim S
Old 22-05-2014, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

Just seen this. My garden is surrounded by Pyracantha so I am familiar
with a few of the problems. The poorly formed flowers are due to
Pyracantha Scab, so I suspect that's your main problem.

Try feeding your shrub with an Ericaceous feed (for acid-loving plants),
as they do enjoy some acidity in the soil. You may also wish to repeat
the fungicide treatment, but read the advice in the RHS link first:-

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=265

Hope this helps.

--
Spider.