Old 18-05-2014, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hatching salad (in cheap planting pots)

Good evening,

A friend and comrade-in-arms (in the French gardening guerilla) gave me
the hint to cut down on planting pots in this way. First take a look :

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/file...-c4ca-jpg.html

I have planted these first few salads «Gloire de Nantes» today. Sown
under glass, they had well developed roots inside the eggshell, which I
removed completely prior plantation (the eggshell). Some melons «Petit
since I have put them outside. Their eggshells had only been cracked
thoroughly all around, but otherwise left more or less intact.

With the other method “to roll my own” planting pots from newspapers
(see YouTube), my results are not as satisfying. The behavior of each of
the paper pots is unforeseeable when they are watered many times. They
survive, or not. Seed-grains are washed out, or not. Those which hold
until the day you want to put your plants out, disintegrate at latest in
your hands... Having said that, it may have to do with the quality of
French newspapers, of course. ;-)

Read you,

Michael
www.uplawski.eu
www.souris-libre.fr

--
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 19-05-2014, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Uplawski" wrote in message
ki.eu...

[...]

This is at first glance not a bad idea. Easy to handle, no pricking out,
biodegradable.

BUT Who uses a sufficient number of eggs to make this a realistic way of
doing it? Not the average household I would suggest. Also seen in that pic
are fibrous moulded pots (root-o-pots?). These are far more practical IMHO.

Steve